mtbr member
    May 2008

BEST online bike store

in everyones opinion which online bike store is the BEST

beautiful jackass

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Best Online bike shop?

Normally like to support the little guy who is struggling. Regardless of online or local. Tend to favor the local shops though.

Have only been riding a short time and not really familiar with all the technical aspects of riding. Favorite local shop would be Fat Tire Cycles (if I know what I need) or Flatland Cycles (owner is really helpful and willing to teach me how to fix my own bike.) Know that the old Fuel will be replaced later this season and most likely the business will stay local.

Online is mainly window shopping.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Donzi
    in everyones opinion which online bike store is the BEST
    Pricepoint.com

Good prices, good selection, fast shipping.
    The truth will set you free... But first it will piss you off

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    JensonUSA and/or Pricepoint. They both tie for #1 IMHO.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks to those that answered.. much appreciated

Silver bullet
    I remembered seeing this survey post a while back.

JensonUSA - MTBR Peoples Choice "Best Online Store"

Tulsa
    tree fort bikes has been good to me, i've never had what i'd call a bad experience at any shop, in money spent it's prolly
    Cooper Bike Shop (lbs)
    Oscar G's (lbs)

Jenson
    Price Point
    Tree Fort
    Universal
    Blue Sky
    Performance
    Wheel World

I've used Web Cyclery a bunch for learning stuff

I can't weld
    In an online shop, you're looking for reliability, selection and ability to price match.
    I usually have trouble finding a place that beats JensonUSA.
    I'll search all the other sites, usually using Spadout.com or bestwebbuys.com/bikes and then take those prices to Jenson for a price match.

Long Distance MTB

Currently

Currently my favorite is pricepoint. In the past it was nashbar.
    I just wished pricepoint carried some small stuff like nashbar.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Most of my online stuff comes from Jenson, Pricepoint, or Universal

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I couldn't name one "best". I've used a number of different online shops. The ones I go back to most frequently are Universal Cycles, Nashbar, JensonUSA, and Cambria Bicycle Outfitters. I've used others and had good results, but these are the ones I use most often. I'll occasionally order mundane stuff (jerseys, tubes, etc.) from Performance if the price is right, but with CA sales tax and shipping, it's often cheaper just to go to their brick-and-mortar locations nearby.

The one I'll never use again is Blue Sky Cycling. I got the parts I ordered at the price I expected, but they didn't tell me they were out of stock. The order took foreeeeeever, but they charged my credit card immediately. Gee thanks guys.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    jensonusa: they have NEVER screwed me, have good customer service, decent prices, and good shipping
    CBO: higher prices, but can price smash. shipping is inexplicably pricey-er than competitors, customer service good
    price point: screwed me over with sub-par components then decided to jerk me off about it, questioning my ability to tell that the new wheels they sold me weren't dished or trued properly (disc rims were dished like standard v-brake rims and were offset by about 1/2 inch--even a blind man could see it)
    bikeparts.com: sell stuff others don't

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I will actually spend a little more if the item is coming from an online store that I trust and have worked with before. Like others have said, there are the usual suspects so-to-speak:

Performance, Universal, Speedgoat, Cambria, Lickbike, Pricepoint, Chainreactioncycles, Bikedoc, Jenson, AEBike, Coloradocyclist, Nashbar, Harris, Bikeman, HighIntensityBikeShop (the last two I use for frame purchases).

With the coupon and if I need many parts, I tend to use Universal Cycles because I buy a few times a year in bulk, and the 15% off is nice on the order. My other store I use a lot is Speedgoat for Phil Wood and other more exotic bike parts that seem to be very cheap there compared to other stores. I used to use Lickbike a lot but their stock on certain items has not been replenished in a while.

After a while you know which stores to use for each situation you run into during the year whether it is just a yearly purchase of cables and housing that you don't need any time soon, to that set of chainrings that is needed a bit quicker. If it is a must have tomorrow item I go local, but that is often in vain since local shops around here seem to not have anything in stock when I need it.

You would have to catagorize what you are buying to see what the best shop is for that particular item. Shimano gear should be purchased at Chainreaction (cheapest I have seen anywhere). Speedgoat has great prices on Phil Wood components by far. Performance and Nashbar and Pricepiont have great deals on last years model of anything while it is in stock. Jenson and Cambria and Universal tend to have a great overall selection and price on the widest variety of items. Harris Cyclery has wide variety of older components for vintage rides (not cheap but available if you need something rare replaced). Total cycling (if you are a whole size) has the best deals on SIDI shoes I have ever seen. AJ Ski and Sports has the best deals on SIDI shoes in half sizes in the US for this years models (Dominator 6 and Dragons).

Really depends on what you are buying. My all round favorite shop is Universal because of the brands they stock, the itmes that they have in stock, and the online coupon codes. The layout of their site is also refreshing and easy to use. Some stores' sites are terrible to navigate and confusing and slow.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    Speedgoat has been my fav online store I've brought from so far. I go to my local shop Bikejunkie here on LI for most of my stuff however. they do have a site and you guys should check it out. i believe it's bikejunkie.com, the site is limited, but i would recommend calling and seeing what they have available to ship. In my experience no one has been better at matching/beating prices as well as making sure you're getting good value for what you're after and willing to spend than these guys. Ask for Linda or Doug.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Universal because I do not have to pay California tax, followed by Greenfish then finlly Jenson because I have to pay California tax

mtbr member
    Jenson, Wheel World, and Greenfish are the one I have used recently, all with positive transactions.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by velotech
    Jenson, Wheel World, and Greenfish are the one I have used recently, all with positive transactions.
    I agree but I would also add nashbar

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Speedgoat, Pricepoint, and Universal.

I had some great service from Universal where I ordered parts for a wheelbuild and they spotted that I accidentally ordered the wrong rim. The noticed it and called me up and fixed it. Also, no CA sales tax plus fairly fast shipping (<5 business days) on the west coast.

Speedgoat usually has good prices and they put the weight of tons of components on their website. I'm not a major weight weenie but I like to know I'm buying a boat anchor.

Pricepoint just generally has good prices and ships fairly quickly. You do wind up paying sales tax in CA though so sometimes the savings is misleading.

I used Performance for years and don't have too many bad experiences with their catalog sevice. However over the last 2 years or so it seems they are phasing out non-performance brand products in favor of their own branded stuff. This wouldn't be so bad except the quality of their store brand stuff has gone downhill. I am seriously limiting what I buy from them and find it unlikely I will renew my performance card even though there is storefront here in stockton.

-- Dennis

In dog years, I'm dead.
    eBay - caveat emptor!
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

Looking for Adventure
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/

Great place for high end bikes and components, including road stuff. They take the scare out of departing with thousands of dollars towards a very expensive bike.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I live in Canada, and JensonUSA pretty much rocks. they essentially give you an "out the door" price that I haven't gotten from anyone else. I get the subtotal, then the total of shipping AND duty (that's a big one) and the taxes. With everyone else, it's a crapshoot on how bad I am going to get destroyed by the border people.

backwoods and backwards
    Jenson has a perfect record with me also. I actually get most things shipped earlier than expected. Most of them are really pretty solid...I haven't had any of the online stores screw-up so badly that I wouldn't use them again. That being said, I haven't found anyone's housebrand stuff that I've been really thrilled with. I'll stick to the brand name stuff on the closeouts pages.
    Moonbeam's compost-powered hybrid generates a respectable 32 fruit flies per rotting banana peel.

Flying Goat

mtbr member
    If you live in europe then I would say

chainreactioncycles.com

wiggle.co.uk

evans.co.uk

allterraincycles.co.uk
    Its difficult to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast