mnoutain bkie rdier

Best Online Bike Shop

Yes, there is something to be said for a great LBS, but for those of us who enjoy building up our own bikes, online is the way to go in my book. No sales tax (out of state usually), great prices..free shipping at times...

My vote is for webcyclery...cool dudes who know their sport. They appreciate and understand the concept of the 29er too, which I find refreshing...

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    shill

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bt
    shill
    Totally unfounded comment, bt.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mnoutain bkie rdier
    shill
    Really? Shill? As in me trying to dupe you into giving them your money? Interesting, considering the fact that I am in So. Cal and they are in Oregon. Cute...nice try.

They deserve props, for they are legit. Who knows, I might have just saved you a buck...check em out..

Is this any different than nearly everyone on mtbr that claims their brand of bike is the best??

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I just did an impromptu survey using the last four online retailers I did business with and compared 10 common components. I didn't notice free shipping at Web Cyclery (but did from a few others on selected items) on any of the items I chose. I picked the items one at a time and Web did list each one of the first ten I chose although I have no idea as to their current stock as it is not referenced. I will list how much less I could get each item for. You can do the math to add CA sales tax (around 9% locally), but it still wouldn't get them close to the lowest price.

The components:
    1) Shimano XT 770 crankest (175mm 22-32-44) - $45
    2) Stans Flow Rims 26" - $0.00
    3) Hope Pro II Hubset (32h - black) - $48 (no sales tax)
    4) Shimano XT 770 Cassette - $40
    5) SRAM X.9 Trigger shifters - $38
    6) SRAM X.9 RD - $21
    7) XT 770 FD (Bottom Swing - Dual Pull) - $25
    8 ) Kenda Nevegal 26x2.35 folding - $10
    9) Thomson Elite Seatpost - $10
    10) Avid BB7 disc brakes - $15

Even considering sales tax and if I paid separate shipping for each item (which I wouldn't have had to, there was only one item they were competitive on (Stans Flow rims).

I will give them kudos for having all ten items listed for sale, although I have no idea if they are in stock or not.

On most items I looked at, Web was simply selling for MSRP. Since I have not dealt directly with them, I have no idea as to their CS or if they are "cool dudes".

Personally, since I (also) live in So Cal, if it comes to paying the same price for an item but one is going only to the retailer and the other is giving my state sales tax, I will choose to pay the sales tax.

Further, I would say that unless our definitions of "great prices" differ greatly, the claim is greatly exaggerated if not outright false.

If they are a supporter of this site (I don't honestly know if they are), I would give them kudos for that.

JMHO.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    There was a poll on 'best online bike shop' a while back. If I recall correctly, Jenson was way out front.

Here you go: JensonUSA - MTBR Peoples Choice "Best Online Store"

It's from 2 years ago, but still the most comprehensive thing I have seen with almost 300 votes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    shill
    what is this shill you speak ok?
    Last edited by styonile; 11-05-2009 at 07:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I just did an impromptu survey using the last four online retailers I did business with and compared 10 common components. I didn't notice free shipping at Web Cyclery (but did from a few others on selected items) on any of the items I chose. I picked the items one at a time and Web did list each one of the first ten I chose although I have no idea as to their current stock as it is not referenced. I will list how much less I could get each item for. You can do the math to add CA sales tax (around 9% locally), but it still wouldn't get them close to the lowest price.

The components:
    6) SRAM X.9 RD - $21

Even considering sales tax and if I paid separate shipping for each item (which I wouldn't have had to, there was only one item they were competitive on (Stans Flow rims).

I will give them kudos for having all ten items listed for sale, although I have no idea if they are in stock or not.

On most items I looked at, Web was simply selling for MSRP. Since I have not dealt directly with them, I have no idea as to their CS or if they are "cool dudes".

Personally, since I (also) live in So Cal, if it comes to paying the same price for an item but one is going only to the retailer and the other is giving my state sales tax, I will choose to pay the sales tax.

Further, I would say that unless our definitions of "great prices" differ greatly, the claim is greatly exaggerated if not outright false.

If they are a supporter of this site (I don't honestly know if they are), I would give them kudos for that.

JMHO.
    Thomson post for $10...I'm on it

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    There was a poll on 'best online bike shop' a while back. If I recall correctly, Jenson was way out front.

Here you go: JensonUSA - MTBR Peoples Choice "Best Online Store"

It's from 2 years ago, but still the most comprehensive thing I have seen with almost 300 votes.
    PBK is also very good

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj

The components:
    6) SRAM X.9 RD - $21

JMHO.
    Your response is a bit unclear, but thanks for taking the time. "great prices" was simply in reference to purchasing online....anywhere online. Read the two sentences that I typed again...I think it will bring clarity. 9 times now, I have built custom bikes for easily 35% less than what you lbs will typically charge. Twice, i have ridden bikes for a year, then sold them for the same price I built them for....hmm??

mtbr member
    An XT Crankset for $10? Really? Come on and share who this magic on-line vendor is so we can all build a $200 dream bike.

Not saying on line isn't cheaper but these prices are off the charts...and I would love to stock pile some stuff too.

The White Jeff W
    Where do I get these?

SRAM X.9 Trigger shifters - $38
    SRAM X.9 RD - $219)
    Thomson Elite Seatpost - $10
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

??????????????

shill
    WTF is "shill".......????

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.niles
    WTF is "shill".......????
    shill

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    www.Bikewagon.com seems to be popping up more here and there, any luck there?

I have seen that they have tons of Manitou Rear Shocks for very cheap. LX Cranksets for $95.00, and other stuff.

Thanks!

R.I.P. DogFriend

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

The dollar amounts I listed are how much less I found each part for than Web was selling them for. Two of these other online stores have stroes in socal. I didn't cherry pick these items. I listed them and only looked to see if Web carried them. Then I went back and got their prices before going to the other sites to see if they had the items listed and how much they charged.

The only two items they were not the highest price on, they only missed being the highest by $1 and missed being the lowest by a mile.

rydbyk, from what I saw, their prices are mostly MSRP. I know of stores (jenson, the path, wheelworld) that sell for less in socal and beating their pricing online is more than simple. I even tried a few other sites to see if I could find any prices that were higher then Web Cyclery (by more than a dollar). I couldn't do it.

I started looking because I wanted to (and was really hoping to) find another good, low priced source.

You said they were an online store that has "great prices". I disagree.

trail rat
    Mods need to move this to General Discussion.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie