mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Best Deals on a "light" 29er wheelset?

Hey all, I'm building a 29er SS that I'm mostly going to use around town but will see occasional trail use as a change of pace bike. I'm looking for a lightweight wheelset to run on it for $250 or less but I'd be willing to spend a little more (or less!) on a great deal.

These blunt SL's are the best I can find. Shimano XT Wheelset Velocity Blunt SL Rims 29er Mountain Wheels Silver and Black | eBay

Can anyone do better for price or weight?

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Oof! That's a heavy wheelset! Check out the Nashbar closeout on Easton wheelsets at the link below. The EA70XC wheels would appear to be in your price range and certainly lighter weight. The EA90XC wheels are also a good deal for just a little more money.

No experience with either of these wheelsets so cannot comment on stiffness or dependability but the prices look good.

Nashbar - All Closeout Easton Wheels 60 Percent Off

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Wiggle has Creast/Hope for around 350 most of the time with coupons. They weigh 1,779.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Wiggle has Creast/Hope for around 350 most of the time with coupons. They weigh 1,779.
    You wouldn't happen to have one of those coupon codes would you? I have a couple items sitting in my Wiggle cart while I'm waiting for coupon codes to surface
    ٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̯)۶

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Seems like a good deal on those but are they really worth it? Tax plus shipping puts me at $280 for the set and they weigh in at 1990g. The Velocity's are $249 and weigh 2160g mostly due, I'm guessing, to those boat anchor XT hubs. Also 24spokes is a bit scary, I wish someone made a blunt SL wheelset with light hubs at a decent price. Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides View Post
    Oof! That's a heavy wheelset! Check out the Nashbar closeout on Easton wheelsets at the link below. The EA70XC wheels would appear to be in your price range and certainly lighter weight. The EA90XC wheels are also a good deal for just a little more money.

No experience with either of these wheelsets so cannot comment on stiffness or dependability but the prices look good.

Nashbar - All Closeout Easton Wheels 60 Percent Off

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Seems like a good deal on those but are they really worth it? Tax plus shipping puts me at $280 for the set and they weigh in at 1990g. The Velocity's are $249 and weigh 2160g mostly due, I'm guessing, to those boat anchor XT hubs. Also 24spokes is a bit scary, I wish someone made a blunt SL wheelset with light hubs at a decent price. Hmmm...
    Hard to say since I've never ridden these wheels but if it is mostly for townie duties you'll probably be fine. I was a little concerned with the 24-spoke count on my Easton Havens and Crossmax SX wheelsets too but they have both held up fine with minor truing over the years.
    ٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̯)۶

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I checked my notes. The hope/crest combo weighs under 1,700. Mine are holding up, but I weigh 165.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just saw these in an e-mail from Blue Sky: BlueSkyCycling.com - Fulcrum Red Power 29 XL MTB Disc Wheelset
    Not that light, but better then the XT/Velocity set. Reviews looked solid.

mtbr member

How about SS specific?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I checked my notes. The hope/crest combo weighs under 1,700. Mine are holding up, but I weigh 165.
    Great combo and great price from wiggle. I weigh 185 and don't go easy on them, rigid fork too.