Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best deal on a wheel set?

Who has the best deals on wheels? (pun intended) I am looking to get a set of 29er Stan's flows with hope hubs. Thanks

mtbr member
    Hope Hoops @ Wiggle with a coupon would be the best price you'd be able to get (~$375 shipped for the set). Shipping is also fast as hell.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Hope Hoops @ Wiggle with a coupon would be the best price you'd be able to get (~$375 shipped for the set). Shipping is also fast as hell.
    Wow, never knew! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Wow really?!?! I know the hubs are made over there but that is dirt cheap!!! Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I checked out those on wiggle... The only 29er Hope Hoops were with the Stan's Crest rims.

Hope ya didn't go and pick up a set of 26ers by mistake.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by SasquatchSC View Post
    I checked out those on wiggle... The only 29er Hope Hoops were with the Stan's Crest rims.

Hope ya didn't go and pick up a set of 26ers by mistake.
    I saw that exact same thing and emailed them asking if they'd make a special order for me of a 29er version of hope/flows. I awaiting their response but it'll probably be a no. I'm amazed they only list the crest! Guess 29ers still aren't popular over there.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Ah my bad. Sucks that there isn't much variety for the 29er crowd..and it looks like the prices went up a little as well.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    I saw that exact same thing and emailed them asking if they'd make a special order for me of a 29er version of hope/flows. I awaiting their response but it'll probably be a no. I'm amazed they only list the crest! Guess 29ers still aren't popular over there.
    Got a response from Wiggle.

Basically told me at this time the ZTR Crest is the only one available in the 29er configuration and no special orders.

Oh well the search continues...
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

pedaller
    How about CRC?
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

The White Jeff W
    There were some good deals on the Sun Ringle Chargers. Same Rim as Flows for all intents and purposes and the hubs on the Pro level wheels are sweet. Check chain reaction and wiggle
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noelg View Post
    how about crc?
    crc??

The White Jeff W
    Chain Reaction Cycles in England. They often have some great wheel deals
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Gotcha, I did check them out

mtbr member
    I just got some 2011 Sun Ringle Charger Experts on Amazon for $420 shipped. I prefer the steel freehub to the aluminum, otherwise you can get the Pros for a few dollars more. They come with Stans "Notubes Technology" rims... worth a look

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Jensonusa.com has Stan's Arch 29er rims on SRAM X9 hubs for $345 plus shipping. Don't know much about the hubs but like the rims.

Just checked and shipping is $10 for the wheelset.

mtbr member
    I ordered Arch EX 29er on Hope Pro 2 evos from merlincycles.co.uk for $465 shipped to Canada. Have yet to receive them (any day now!) but they've got a good reputation for wheel building and I thought the price was pretty decent compared to Arch EX on Stan's hubs for $510 from JensonUSA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sorry but I couldn't post a link because I did not have enough posts. Try this:

Stan's Arch 29'Er / Sram X.9 Wheel > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

And here is a link to an mtbr discussion on the hubs. Sounds like engagement may be a serious issue:

Sram X9 rear hub ?

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by shenny88 View Post
    I just got some 2011 Sun Ringle Charger Experts on Amazon for $420 shipped. I prefer the steel freehub to the aluminum, otherwise you can get the Pros for a few dollars more. They come with Stans "Notubes Technology" rims... worth a look
    $420? You don't EVEN want to know how much they were going for a few months back from CRC around x-mas time. You will be upset.

It's because of this is why I can't bring myself to spend 200-300 on a single 29er wheel. Because I have a new standard of how much i paid for my last set.

pedaller
    Yeah, I got a set of custom Hope Pro 2s with 819 rims last year for ~$300.

Just bought a set of Hope Pro 2 Evos with Flows from CRC for ~$400. Used the $40 off $400 code earlier this month.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Flats: the wheels you bought.. Was the $465 in canadian dollars or us dollars? And was that for one wheel or a whole wheelset? I would love to order a set asap if that was for both front and rear arch ex29 with hope 2 evo's. But i need 20mm front and standard quick release for the rear. Last but not least, did that include shipping?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtyling View Post
    Flats: the wheels you bought.. Was the $465 in canadian dollars or us dollars? And was that for one wheel or a whole wheelset? I would love to order a set asap if that was for both front and rear arch ex29 with hope 2 evo's. But i need 20mm front and standard quick release for the rear. Last but not least, did that include shipping?
    Canadian dollars, and for both front and rear wheels. There is a 20mm option for the front hub on the site, pretty sure it's no charge. Shipping was free, and they had a 10% off code I used to save $50 bucks or so.

Merlin says they shipped the wheels March 29- two weeks today. Must... remain... patient.

mtbr member
    Flats: Their website has a favorable exchange rate for Canadian Dollars.. for US Dollar, a set of wheels (front & rear, hope 2 evo, arch 29ex) costs US$560.41
    The current exchange rate for Canadian Dollar to US Dollar is only 1.0054
    That saved you around 60 Canadian Dollars. Lucky you!
    Bummer about the slow shipping.

Can anyone point me to where i can find the best price for a set of Arch EX 29 with DT Swiss 240's (20mm front, 9mm QR rear)?
    Stan's website lists them for 405(front) + 570(rear) = 975(set), skewers not included.
    Last edited by Xtyling; 04-12-2012 at 10:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Yeah, I got a set of custom Hope Pro 2s with 819 rims last year for ~$300.

Just bought a set of Hope Pro 2 Evos with Flows from CRC for ~$400. Used the $40 off $400 code earlier this month.
    Nice, that's what I'm looking for too! Please tell me they were 29ers...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    chinese carbon $520 + ~60 shipping to USA. 1460g
    carbon 29er wheel mountain bike clincher - light-bicycle

got good reviews so far, very stiff. discussion
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

If you are a big guy, you can ask them to make them stronger/heavier for you, according to posts in above link.

mtbr member
    Update- the nice lady from Canada Post delivered my wheels today. Duty, tax, and handling fee came to $130. The wheels were well packaged, but a bit of the gold anodizing on the freehub was scratched off by one of the spokes from the front wheel. Would have bee nice to wrap the freehub, but I expect it will get gouged up from the cassette fairly quickly even though I'll be running an XT. Also, a bunch of oil leaked from the nipples onto the rim bed. Maybe this isn't uncommon, but I've never had to degrease a rim before taping it up.

The good news is the wheels feel very light, the spokes are tight, and when I put them on my truing stand I expect them to be straight and hop-free. They're also gorgeous. The famous Hope freehub noise is pure class, in an industrial sort of way.

So, is it worth it? Provided I won't have to true/re-true the wheels, I'd say yes. Still cheaper than an LBS, and Merlin wheels are a known commodity quality-wise. But I'll have to put in some extra work to get them set up. Very much looking forward to the first ride.

I'm ok with my choice so far. Hopefully whatever everyone else decides works out for them as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast