Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best Deal on SLX 2x10 Groupset?

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Glen1978 
#1 ·
I found these guys but have never used them. It seems this is there normal price. Pretty cheap but a coupon would make it better...lol! Any body else found the SLX groupset cheaper? Also kicking the idea of a 1x11 setup too.

Shimano SLX M670 Group Set

#7 ·
if you buy a groupset it'll most likely be ispec. the shifter mounts to the brake lever mount. bar mount would be if you are planning on mixing/matching with other brakes that aren't ispec compatible.

for front chainring you gotta consider how strong you are, I guess. i'm pretty slow and weak so I stuck with the shimano 2x11.

chain size you listed sounds like chain line? the chain line you need depends on your bike.

#11 ·
2x chainrings are usually a bad idea. The BSD is usually different so rings can be a pain in the ass to find. And you'll never be able to mount a bash ring.
Get a 3x chainring. You can run it 3x, you can run it 2x with a bash, or you can run it 1x in any configuration you like.

If you need/want brakes, Merlin is always the best deal going for group sets.

#12 ·
I would suggest running 2 x 10 or 11 if you are moving to Colorado from the flatlands. jm2e is on point with suggesting a 3 x 10 or 11 purchase, throw away the large chainring and buy a bash guard. Also, Blue Sky Cycling has good deals on Shimano: Mountain Bike Parts and Accessories at BlueSkyCycling.com. Also, consider buying a rear derailleur with a clutch mechanism, so if you end up being able to make your climbs in your large chainring, you can buy a narrow/wide chainring and not have to buy a new rear derailleur to make the switch to 1 x 10 or 11.

#13 ·
you'll have a better chainline if you have a 2x crankset. however the middle of a 3x is better for a 1x set up, unless you are ok with 30 tooth or lower in which case the inner of a 2x is better (imo). shimano uses the same bcd for both set ups (64 and 104),

#14 ·
2x has always been a poor choice because you have to shift the front mech a lot. Few riders can use just a 36 or 38 for their trail loop. You get tired of that and go 1x. 3x lets you stay in a 32 middle front gear and get into condition to ride almost everything without shifting the front. If that works drop the extra and have the best single chainline. If not you have a much lower range the few times you need it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.