mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Best deal mid-end 6 bolt disc hubs for 1st wheel build?

I'm looking for some hubs, something 6 bolt, similar quality to XT for my first attempt at building. They're going to be for my girlfriend's bike and she's about 120#, probably less if you ask her, she doesn't ride all that hard. I'm looking for something servicable and lightweight to make carrying her bike easier on her and hopefully riding it more enjoyable. Also something that I could use in a pinch if I needed them. Any ideas? Also interested in any closeout disc specific rims if you've seen any.

So far I have seen LX for about $60 a set, which seems a little high. The idea is to spend less than I would if I just bought wheels that are already built.

Thanks.

Rocket Scientist
    Mar 2005
    I think you'll have a hard time building a wheel for less than a pre-built.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    yeah you won't be able to do that cheaper than buying prebuilt unless you're going high-end stuff I think. You might want to check closeouts at jensonusa.com or nashbar.com and other places like that. Me, I went with sun rhyno lites laced to xt hubs and love em. Got the whole set barely used off of ebay (with hutchinson tires) for about $90 last fall. If I were you, I'd watch ebay or go after the xt/rhyno lite xl (better than rhyno lite, lighter too) combo at jensonusa.com that are $150. Yes, 6-bolt compatible.

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    yeah you won't be able to do that cheaper than buying prebuilt unless you're going high-end stuff I think. You might want to check closeouts at jensonusa.com or nashbar.com and other places like that. Me, I went with sun rhyno lites laced to xt hubs and love em. Got the whole set barely used off of ebay (with hutchinson tires) for about $90 last fall. If I were you, I'd watch ebay or go after the xt/rhyno lite xl (better than rhyno lite, lighter too) combo at jensonusa.com that are $150. Yes, 6-bolt compatible.
    Yeah, definately watch eBay. I just scored a brand new never ridden pair of WTB dual duty FR wheels (32h) with laser disk hubs, brand new Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3s, new tubes, a new XT chain AND a new sram pg980 11-34 cassette, all for $150. I was going to go for the PricePoint XM321 hoops laced to XT hubs before I found this deal.

You have to really keep your eyes open because there are some great deals to be had out there.

100% recycled
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyfisherman
    for my first attempt at building.
    Shimano will be the cheapest you can find due to their mass production. Pair of Deore 525's from universalcycles will be about $50, XT will be about $95. The reviews on the Deore's are pretty bad, and XT dont seem much better. The cheapest I would go are Hope XC's for $193, but read the hub reviews on mtbr.com and see if there is anything decent between those priceranges.

Freshly Fujified

Answer the guy's question

For Pete's sake, the guy wants to build a set of wheels and asked what a decent hub is. He didn't ask if it was cheaper to build or buy. 3 of the 4 people who answered prior to this post just blew by the fact that this guy WANTS to build his first wheelset.

To answer your question, Deore hubs are not a bad option as there are few differences in the overall quality of the hub when you compare it to XT. I seem to recall that lighter weight and a threaded axle are the two major difference between Deore and XT. Given your circumstance, I'd give these hubs serious consideration. As for rims, check Wheel and Sprocket on ebay. I think they had some pretty inexpensive Ritchey rims for sale. Check their store, becuase they usually have a couple of "Best Offer" auctions hidden away on items they have a lot of stock on. You can usually bid around 10-15% less than the BIN price and have them accept the bid.

Let us know how you make out.

Bob

P.S. if you haven't already done so, you might want to cross-post this to the wheels and tires forum. You'll get some good insights from the regulars there.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the input. I should have said that I also want the satisfaction of knowing how to build a wheel, but I'm still not willing to pay more than a built up wheel. I'm going to keep looking around, maybe some kind of closeouts will pop up.

Rocket Scientist
    Mar 2005
    cambriabike has some rims on sale. Sun DS-1 $20 each if you use the coupon.

$80 for XT hubs at Jenson. About the same at aebike.com

www.Aebike.com is the cheapest place I've found for spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    look at ebay for sure. I just saw an LX front hub new for $14 buy-it-now.