mtbr member

Best deal on a lightweight trail handlebar?

I'm down to the last few items to buy before building my bike up. I'm looking for suggestions on a good deal on a lightweight riser bar. I don't want weight-weenie light...anything around 200g would be fine.

Right now, the best deal I can find a new Easton EC90 riser for $80. That tips the scales at feathery 135g. Maybe too light for general trail use? The Haven maybe better but I'll have to cut it down (711mm is nearly 6" wider than my current bar!).

Any suggestions? Looking to keep the price at $80 or lower.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Climbs = necessary evil

Re: Best deal on a lightweight trail handlebar?

I have a set of Niner flatop carbon bars I never used - still in the box. They go for $160 but I'd sell them for $120 shipped CONUS if you are interested. I ended up going wider than these, which are 710mm.

Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!

mtbr member
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a riser...I should have mentioned that. And I do want to keep it closer to $80.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    You can get a chinese riser from carboncycles.cc for the price/weight you are looking for ($75 for a 750mm). The consensus seems to be they are no less reliable from name brand options and probably made in the same factory as one of the big OEMs. Light-bicycle.com is another chinese vendor. They will do a 660mm carbon riser for like $40+shipping, you have to email them, there is a thread in one of the forums about both of these vendors called "Buying Chinese Carbon" or the like. You can also check ebay, plenty of chinese carbon risers there, many of them are very short though.

There are a lot of aluminum bars in your price range that are less than 250gm, but not many less than 200. Forte flat bar @ 720mm for $30 is listed @ 200gm, and if you really need a rise that bad, you can use the price difference to get a stem with a rise.

Personally I like the feel of carbon bars and was very drawn to the carboncycles bar, but it's not THAT much cheaper than a name brand shipped from an online vender, so I've been on the fence, and I've stuck with my monkey lite xc for like the last 8 years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    so I've been on the fence, and I've stuck with my monkey lite xc for like the last 8 years.
    How would you rate the Easton XC stuff for durability? I'm leaning toward the EC90 riser but it's so light that I worry it won't take trail abuse. I'm not heavy (165) and don't do a lot of jumps or drops but I have had a few hard hits on the front end.

Is it a worthy trail bar or XC race only?

insert sarcasm here
    Have you looked into the EC70 riser? They are about 160g, so a little heavier than the EC90.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    Absolutely bomb proof after 8 seasons. I've whacked these things on more trees, rocks etc than I can count over the years. There have been times I would have sworn the edges would have been splintered and cracked but not even a scratch, with hits hard enough to rip my grips and bend the plastic end caps. Scotch tape/lift passes have taken off the clear coat, but it's cosmetic only. I had an episode of slipping where the whole bar motorcycled on me, but it was due to the stem being not tight enough. Since then I'm very careful about proper torque and using carbon prep paste.

two wheel whore
    I have an EA70 riser bar that I think is pretty light. Website lists 265g I think. I used it for a few rides, I didn't like the riser.