Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best deal? Chris King ISO disc hubs

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Kam 
#1 ·
I've looking to but a pair of CK ISO bisc hubs (black).

What is the best deal currently?

They appear to be $139 front and $279 rear everywhere.

as such, does that mean I wait until someone has 20% coupon?

#2 ·
Chris King parts seem to be pretty well price controlled. You might find a place selling for $10-$15 less but not much to write home about. I got a great deal on my CK ISO Disc hubs by working out a package deal with my local bike shop. Saved me almost $80 buying the rims, hubs and spokes from them all at once.

#3 ·
end goal is wheelset

My end goal is a wheelset with

CK ISO disc / CX-Ray spokes / Mavic 717 disc rims

Hubs and spokes, I'm not that willing to change. Rims, I would consider a 350g to 420g disc specific rim. My end coal is durability AND lightweight!

My initial plan was to get the hubs from the US and then get a UK wheelbuilder to lace them with Cx-Ray to some trusty Mavic 717 disc rims.

If I can get a good deal on a wheelset rather than just hubs then great

#4 ·
I use the Mavic 819 Disc Specific rims. I prefer tubeless and used stans with 517's (395 gram) for a while. Then it dawned on me that a Mavic 819 weighed almost the same as a 517 or 717 and a stans rim strip (60 grams). Making the 819 a stronger optin that weights almost the same. On the flip side the stans/819 setups should weigh about 50 grams less than a tube setup and allow for lower tire pressure. I run a non UST tire with my 819's and am having great success.

I said all that to say consider the Mavic 819 if you are interested in tubeless. I don't know how I got along without it myself :)

Try pricing things out on the internet then seeing if any of the local shops or more personal online shops can cut you a package deal.

#6 ·
That could pose a problem. I have a whole different bike for my on road communting and urban assults. ANd if I want to ride my good bike i just have to move the extra set of wheels over.

I would go with the Mavic 717 if you are sticking with Tubes.

#9 ·
Tippster said:
where would I get the best deal for:

CK ISO disc hubs - on there own?

CK iso disc / cx-ray / Mavic 717 disc rims wheelset?
Check out Ebay and the seller hongkong_bikeshop... I live in australia and buy nearly all my gear from the USA or now more recently from Mike W. (aka hongkong_bikeshop!) he is currently selling a set of CK's for $405, not too bad, he could also make you a wheelset if keen. He has excellent service and feedback. Good luck!

#11 ·
odds and endos

I'd recommend talk to Mike Garcia at www.oddsandendos.com. He's an excellent wheelbuilder and built me a set of King ISOs / DT 4.1d / DT supercomp for not much more than the retail price of the hubs alone. He can accomodate any custom options and his knowledge and advice is outstanding.

Are you in the U.S. now and taking them back?

Be warned: Anything you order to be mailed to the UK will be lovingly inspected by the boys at Customs & Excise and dutied accordingly. :mad:

Matt

#12 ·
try toby...

try toby at dmvwrks.com. the website isn't all that, but i've dealt with toby before. he also sells hope stuff (brakes, hubs). king stuff is hard to get a killer deal on, but toby probably can give ya a great price. he also posts in the wheel building forum as "thebronze".

cheers!

Tippster said:
I've looking to but a pair of CK ISO bisc hubs (black).

What is the best deal currently?

They appear to be $139 front and $279 rear everywhere.

as such, does that mean I wait until someone has 20% coupon?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.