mtbr member

Best deal on Avid Elixir 5's or higher?

Need a new set of trail brakes for the wife's bike. Love my elixir 5's and she loves the 5's on her downhill bike (203mm rotor's), so looking to pick up another pair. Right now blueskycycling has the 2011 5's for $99.99. 160mm or 185mm would both work. Anyone find any better deals?
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Price Point has them for $89.98.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    If it's not too late, I would put just a little more in and get that Shimano XTs in Performancebike sale thread in this forum.

Coincidentally I have both exact brakes on two different bikes and the Shimano XTs blow my Elixir 5s out of the water. True one finger braking power with lots of adjustment for lever throw and modulation.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Ditto - Go for the XT's or even the SLX's. I find them to be better then the Avid offerings. +1 that they are mineral oil and not DOT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If the OP already has two sets of Elixirs, they may not want to buy a different brake brand and model, requiring different fluid and a different bleed kit.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    OP - The Shimano's are better then the srams ata the pricepoint you are looking at and the bleed kits with the mineral oil will last longer then the DOT fluid which has a short shelf like.

Notice that with the new Sram Trail brakes they have done away with the cup and cone washer thingies which from experience make avids harder to set up with out a squeel.

Shimano Mineral oil also is less likely to form air bubbles then DOT fluid therefore requiring less bleeding.

Shimano Mineral oil will also not damage your bike paint if a little gets on it. DOT fluid has the ability to strip the pain of your bits and pieces.

I believe that you can find a nice set of Shimano SLX brakes for around $100 and a nice set of XT's for $130.

If you want to stick with Avid 5's becuase you are comfotable with them that is fine. The only real advantage I see in Avids are with the new X.0 trail brakes and the Mix master handle bar set ups.

OP - The best thing you can do is to buy the best product for the price you want to spend or find the best product you want and save up to spend on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    I believe that you can find a nice set of Shimano SLX brakes for around $100 and a nice set of XT's for $130. .
    Would you mind sharing where to get SLX's at that price?

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I've loved the lever feel of the elixir's so I was pretty well sold on that, but if the shimano's have even better modulation, they may be worth a try. I'll look into them.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    Would you mind sharing where to get SLX's at that price?
    The Hottest Mountain Bike Parts, Accessories & Clothing at Discount Prices @ BlueSkyCycling.com has had them for under $100. right now they are $115 and $125.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s View Post
    Thanks everyone. I've loved the lever feel of the elixir's so I was pretty well sold on that, but if the shimano's have even better modulation, they may be worth a try. I'll look into them.
    The Resin Pads will have more modulation then the Metalic Pads. What kind of pads are you currently running?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Anybody done business with bicyclefocus.com?

This site advertises as a China reseller of bikes, but I have never heard of them, nor can I find any info on them good or bad when I Google them. They've got great prices. Anybody done business with them? Is this a scam company?

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Introquest View Post
    This site advertises as a China reseller of bikes, but I have never heard of them, nor can I find any info on them good or bad when I Google them. They've got great prices. Anybody done business with them? Is this a scam company?

See here.....I don't feel like typing the answer again.

Same thing.

Has Anybody Heard of Diamond Cycles?
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.