Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Best deal on Arch EX 29 or Flow EX 29 wheelset?

Looking for the best deal on a new wheelset, I'm open to like options as well. Thanks.

mtbr member

Check with Bikerbob.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If Crests are an option, they can be had with Hope Evo II at Wiggle for $350-$420 or so depending on current coupon codes. I could have sworn I saw similar deals with the UK sites for the regular Flows too.

mtbr member

What's you weight, Hack?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How about the $489 deal posted a couple weeks ago:

Stans No Tube ZTR/ARCH EX WHEELSET 29er INSTOCK!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    What's you weight, Hack?
    165 geared up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    If Crests are an option, they can be had with Hope Evo II at Wiggle for $350-$420 or so depending on current coupon codes. I could have sworn I saw similar deals with the UK sites for the regular Flows too.
    Are the Hope's considered better then ZTR? How do they compare in weight?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Are the Hope's considered better then ZTR? How do they compare in weight?
    As far as weight, they're close enough to me:

ZTR Hub Info
    Front: 162 grams
    Rear: 252 grams
    Engagement: 32t

Pro 2 Evo Hubs - Pro 2 Evo Hubs Product Details
    Weight: Front 185g (QR) Rear 285g (QR)
    Ratchet type: 4 pawl (24t engagement)

At 165lbs, Crests would definitely work for you but I guess that depends on the type of riding. I'm 145-150 on Crests/Hope Pro 2 EVo SS for my Jabber (XC type riding), but if I end up doing an All Mtn build, I'm thinking of going with Arch EX or Flow EX. The Flow EX seems overkill for my size, but with an All Mtn build, I won't care too much about weight. I went from Crest/ZTR 3.30 to Crest/Hope (both geared and SS rear hubs). Both are great lightweight combos. I switched to the Hopes for the SS specific bolt on hub, which has 48 POE and its reputation in the BMX trials world. The geared Hope Evo is 24t. I definitely noticed a difference with the SS version over the geared version, but I didn't notice a difference between the geared Hope 2 and the ZTR 3.30. Both Hopes are louder than the ZTR, with the Hope SS being loudest. I like my hubs loud, but that's obviously preference. The Crests at my weight have been great, but I don't normally do big jumps, drops or crazy chunky stuff with my Jabber. I'll reserve that for my next build.

Regarding pricing...I bought my wheelsets before the Stan's EX models came out. My Crest/Hope Evo SS combo was custom built. my Crest/ZTR set was a factory wheelset for $400, and my Crest/Hope Evo geared set was from Wiggle for around $360 shipped when they had a 20% off code for wheelsets.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either hubs. Great hubs for the money. Now, if I can ever save enough, I'd love to try Chris Kings.

Here's more opinions:
    Stan's ZTR 3.30 hubs vs. Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs

mtbr member

I would be all over a $360 set of Archs. Everywhere I look they are $500

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Wow, thanks for the great info. I may give the Crests a try as I have a heavier eyeleted DT Swiss set on another bike setup for abuse. These are going on a cheapo KM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I looked back at my order history, and after discount it was actually $374. That was with a discount too. I noticed their "regular" prices are less now, so without discount, it's $397, so not really not that big a difference. I'd have no problem buying at $397. I think around the holiday season, I remember there was a code bringing them down to the $350 range.

mtbr member

I looked back at my order history, and after discount it was actually $374. That was with a discount too. I noticed their "regular" prices are less now, so without discount, it's $397, so not really not that big a difference. I'd have no problem buying at $397. I think around the holiday season, I remember there was a code bringing them down to the $350 range.
    Thanks for the info.

Is Wiggles the best place to watch for deals?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

The Hope hubs are nearly as expensive as the built up wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Do the Archs from Wiggle come with end caps, tape and sealant?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I just grabbed a set for 389 with a so-so "voucher". The hubs alone are nearly as much - so even if I blow up the rims, I'll be golden. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good point, I don't remember the valves, tape and sealant, being included, so verify with them on that. I think 20mm end caps and extra spokes were included.

mtbr member

Where'd you wind up buying from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Where'd you wind up buying from?
    Wiggle, UK. One thing I really like about the Hope rear hub is that you can do a bolt on conversion, which I might try for a single speed.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wiggle, UK. One thing I really like about the Hope rear hub is that you can do a bolt on conversion, which I might try for a single speed.
    I've tried Halo Hex Skewers on a rear hub with QR caps in a track end dropout that worked great. At $10-$15, it's cheaper alternative to a bolt on conversion I'm guessing, but there was a recent thread in which someone reported noticeably increased stiffness when they switched to bolt-ons. I have bolt-ons now, but can't say I've noticed that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I've tried Halo Hex Skewers on a rear hub with QR caps in a track end dropout that worked great. At $10-$15, it's cheaper alternative to a bolt on conversion I'm guessing, but there was a recent thread in which someone reported noticeably increased stiffness when they switched to bolt-ons. I have bolt-ons now, but can't say I've noticed that.
    I'm also using the Halo Hex with great results on my Monkey with a single drive side tuggnut - but I like options for the future. You can get the Halo Hex pretty tight and they're cheap. I actually broke the well costly and well regarded DT RMS at the same force that the Halo handles just fine.

BTW, Stan's will build this same wheelset with these same hubs for like $700-800.

mtbr member

I tried some vouchers and none of them worked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    I tried some vouchers and none of them worked.

The one I found only took off $8 anyway - but I figured $389 was good enough for me. I need to off load my 2,300 gram wheels.

mtbr member

What am I missing? The arches show $500 at wiggles. How are you getting them for $389?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I'm taking my chances with some Crests 29ers laced to Hope hubs - we'll see if I bend them! They don't seem to have a similar Arch or Flow setup now.

mtbr member

I'm taking my chances with some Crests 29ers laced to Hope hubs - we'll see if I bend them! They don't seem to have a similar Arch or Flow setup now.
    Great deal if they work out for you. I am 230 geared up. I would be scared of destroying them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Great deal if they work out for you. I am 230 geared up. I would be scared of destroying them.

I only weigh 165, so I think they'll work. My other bike has a more "all mountain" DT Swiss set for taking hits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How does the VAT work when you buy from Wiggle? Do you have to file the tax yourself
    ?

And does anyone have a current promo code?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

No VAT was charged. In theory you should pay the sales tax when you file your state return next year, if you're happy with giving your state some more funds. I leave that to you and your accountant - but I know what I'll do.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    $338 with 15% off using "15EXTRA"...if only I was in the market. This is for the 29er Crest/Hope set at Wiggle.
    Last edited by goldenaustin; 02-12-2013 at 07:15 AM. Reason: adding wheelset and site

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    $338 with 15% off using "15EXTRA"...if only I was in the market.

Where are they at that price?

Thanks,
    Todd

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPnTX View Post

Thanks,
    Todd
    Wiggle.com Picked up a pair last night. $355 with a 20mm front hub conversion. Free shipping. I was on the fence regarding the Crest rims, but at that price I couldn't resist. About the same as the retail price for the hubs alone. Figure if the Crest's aren't burly enough, I can just have the wheels rebuilt on some Arch's and still come out money ahead.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TAPnTX View Post

Thanks,
    Todd
    oh, yeah, sorry, they were for the Crest/Hope Evo 29ers, that SSHack (OP) ended up getting. It would be an even crazier deal if it were for the EX models on Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ripn View Post
    Wiggle.com Picked up a pair last night. $355 with a 20mm front hub conversion. Free shipping. I was on the fence regarding the Crest rims, but at that price I couldn't resist. About the same as the retail price for the hubs alone. Figure if the Crest's aren't burly enough, I can just have the wheels rebuilt on some Arch's and still come out money ahead.
    Hmm...I thought about doing the same last night since its so tempting, but had to sleep on it. I'm 145-150lbs geared and was looking at something more sturdy for "all mtn" type riding. Is that what you were planning to do with the Crest set, and then rebuild them if needed?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Guess that answered my question...out of stock now. Burlier set it is. hehe.

mtbr member
    Cheaper in the long run and less hassle to just get the proper rim for your riding style/weight to start with. Crest won't have much longevity for your average rider on average terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    Cheaper in the long run and less hassle to just get the proper rim for your riding style/weight to start with. Crest won't have much longevity for your average rider on average terrain.
    What's the "average rider" on "average terrain", anyway?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks, that's what I was struggling with. I'd hate to deal with that hassle of an un-rideable wheel at the beginning of a ride, even if it means spending more up front.

mtbr member
    160-180 lbs riding on a trail with an occasional square edged rock. I prefer my wheels with a little built in insurance strength and crests are just too feathery for my personal piece of mind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It's a dollars and cents thing for me. The cheapest I've been able to find a Hope/Arch with a 20mm front is around $550. At price of less than $350 it's a chance I'm willing to take. I'll certainly have my local shop check them over and make sure the build quality is good. If I end up not liking them, at worse I'd be able to sell them and get most of my money back or save them as a spare. Again at that price it's hard to go wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    160-180 lbs riding on a trail with an occasional square edged rock. I prefer my wheels with a little built in insurance strength and crests are just too feathery for my personal piece of mind.
    Even riding what I think is considered "XC" in my area, on occasion I've had exactly those types of hits, where at my "sub-average" weight I've managed to bottom out my 2.4 Racing Ralphs at 20psi, and feel the jarring clunk of the Crest rim itself. I'm on a steel rigid fork though. As far as I can tell, the rims are still good as new, but always makes me nervous when that happens, and even more so if I rode in even rougher stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks, that's what I was struggling with. I'd hate to deal with that hassle of an un-rideable wheel at the beginning of a ride, even if it means spending more up front.
    While the Crest aren't meant as a burly trail rim, they aren't made of paper. Plenty of people riding and racing aggressively on this rim without issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Well, I guess I find out soon if they hold up. I've got a more all mountain wheelset too, so I'll be somewhat careful with the Crests. I ride rigid, but try to ride "lightly".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    While the Crest aren't meant as a burly trail rim, they aren't made of paper. Plenty of people riding and racing aggressively on this rim without issues.
    Oh, I actually ride 90% on my rigid Jabber that has a custom Crest/Hope Evo SS wheelset and love it! The context of that post was in terms of a burly Honzo or Nimble 9 build that I was planning/hoping in the near future. Had Wiggle not sell out of the Crest set, I probably would've just taken the gamble.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Stans No Tubes ZTR Arch wheelset is pretty cheap from Wiggle also. I typed in the code and after the 15% off I think they were about $430. Thats a good deal, but they are the Arch minus the EX which is what I would really want.

I picked up a set of Fulcrum Red Power XL 29 wheels with 15mm on ebay for cheap so I am settling on that for now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just picked up a 26" ZTR Arch EX wheelset for $489 with free shipping from Pro Mountain Outfitters. I was able to add new XT Ice-Tech rotors and pads F/R as well and still come out at roughly the same price as the wheelset only from Stan's website with shipping!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This doesn't help much right now since they're currently out of stock, but Outside Outfitters has the Arch EX 29er on sale for $435 and Flow EX 29er for $449. Suppose a call tomorrow won't hurt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    This doesn't help much right now since they're currently out of stock, but Outside Outfitters has the Arch EX 29er on sale for $435 and Flow EX 29er for $449. Suppose a call tomorrow won't hurt.
    They get their next shipment on Thursday, so it could help quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Great deal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Great deal.
    Yeah it is. If the standard Stan's hub had a 20mm conversion I'd be all over it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Found an even better deal...$431 (15EXTRA code)at Wiggle. They list it as standard Arch and Flow, and in the Q&A tab, they confirmed they're the EX models. I posted the question on the Stans Flow wheelset page, and they just replied confirming it's the Flow EX rim. Now what to do...Flow EX with 3.30HD hubs, or Arch EX with standard 3.30 hubs. Hmm...

Yeah it is. If the standard Stan's hub had a 20mm conversion I'd be all over it.
    Is the Flow EX too burly for you? The 3.30 HD hub has 20mm caps available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Found an even better deal...$431 (15EXTRA code)at Wiggle. They list it as standard Arch and Flow, and in the Q&A tab, they confirmed they're the EX models. I posted the question on the Stans Flow wheelset page, and they just replied confirming it's the Flow EX rim. Now what to do...Flow EX with 3.30HD hubs, or Arch EX with standard 3.30 hubs. Hmm...

Is the Flow EX too burly for you? The 3.30 HD hub has 20mm caps available.
    The Flow is overkill for me. At 165lbs, I ride fairly aggressively, but it's XC aggressive not freeride aggressive. Most of my local rides have more than 3000 feet of climbing, so something reasonably light weight is a priority. If I was building up a 6"+ travel trail bike, the Flow would be top of my list.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast