Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Best deal on Arch EX 29 or Flow EX 29 wheelset?

Looking for the best deal on a new wheelset, I'm open to like options as well. Thanks.

mtbr member

Check with Bikerbob.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If Crests are an option, they can be had with Hope Evo II at Wiggle for $350-$420 or so depending on current coupon codes. I could have sworn I saw similar deals with the UK sites for the regular Flows too.

mtbr member

What's you weight, Hack?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How about the $489 deal posted a couple weeks ago:

Stans No Tube ZTR/ARCH EX WHEELSET 29er INSTOCK!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    What's you weight, Hack?
    165 geared up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by goldenaustin View Post
    If Crests are an option, they can be had with Hope Evo II at Wiggle for $350-$420 or so depending on current coupon codes. I could have sworn I saw similar deals with the UK sites for the regular Flows too.
    Are the Hope's considered better then ZTR? How do they compare in weight?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Are the Hope's considered better then ZTR? How do they compare in weight?
    As far as weight, they're close enough to me:

ZTR Hub Info
    Front: 162 grams
    Rear: 252 grams
    Engagement: 32t

Pro 2 Evo Hubs - Pro 2 Evo Hubs Product Details
    Weight: Front 185g (QR) Rear 285g (QR)
    Ratchet type: 4 pawl (24t engagement)

At 165lbs, Crests would definitely work for you but I guess that depends on the type of riding. I'm 145-150 on Crests/Hope Pro 2 EVo SS for my Jabber (XC type riding), but if I end up doing an All Mtn build, I'm thinking of going with Arch EX or Flow EX. The Flow EX seems overkill for my size, but with an All Mtn build, I won't care too much about weight. I went from Crest/ZTR 3.30 to Crest/Hope (both geared and SS rear hubs). Both are great lightweight combos. I switched to the Hopes for the SS specific bolt on hub, which has 48 POE and its reputation in the BMX trials world. The geared Hope Evo is 24t. I definitely noticed a difference with the SS version over the geared version, but I didn't notice a difference between the geared Hope 2 and the ZTR 3.30. Both Hopes are louder than the ZTR, with the Hope SS being loudest. I like my hubs loud, but that's obviously preference. The Crests at my weight have been great, but I don't normally do big jumps, drops or crazy chunky stuff with my Jabber. I'll reserve that for my next build.

Regarding pricing...I bought my wheelsets before the Stan's EX models came out. My Crest/Hope Evo SS combo was custom built. my Crest/ZTR set was a factory wheelset for $400, and my Crest/Hope Evo geared set was from Wiggle for around $360 shipped when they had a 20% off code for wheelsets.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either hubs. Great hubs for the money. Now, if I can ever save enough, I'd love to try Chris Kings.

Here's more opinions:
    Stan's ZTR 3.30 hubs vs. Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs

mtbr member

I would be all over a $360 set of Archs. Everywhere I look they are $500

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Wow, thanks for the great info. I may give the Crests a try as I have a heavier eyeleted DT Swiss set on another bike setup for abuse. These are going on a cheapo KM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I looked back at my order history, and after discount it was actually $374. That was with a discount too. I noticed their "regular" prices are less now, so without discount, it's $397, so not really not that big a difference. I'd have no problem buying at $397. I think around the holiday season, I remember there was a code bringing them down to the $350 range.

mtbr member

I looked back at my order history, and after discount it was actually $374. That was with a discount too. I noticed their "regular" prices are less now, so without discount, it's $397, so not really not that big a difference. I'd have no problem buying at $397. I think around the holiday season, I remember there was a code bringing them down to the $350 range.
    Thanks for the info.

Is Wiggles the best place to watch for deals?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

The Hope hubs are nearly as expensive as the built up wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Do the Archs from Wiggle come with end caps, tape and sealant?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I just grabbed a set for 389 with a so-so "voucher". The hubs alone are nearly as much - so even if I blow up the rims, I'll be golden. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good point, I don't remember the valves, tape and sealant, being included, so verify with them on that. I think 20mm end caps and extra spokes were included.

mtbr member

Where'd you wind up buying from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Where'd you wind up buying from?
    Wiggle, UK. One thing I really like about the Hope rear hub is that you can do a bolt on conversion, which I might try for a single speed.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wiggle, UK. One thing I really like about the Hope rear hub is that you can do a bolt on conversion, which I might try for a single speed.
    I've tried Halo Hex Skewers on a rear hub with QR caps in a track end dropout that worked great. At $10-$15, it's cheaper alternative to a bolt on conversion I'm guessing, but there was a recent thread in which someone reported noticeably increased stiffness when they switched to bolt-ons. I have bolt-ons now, but can't say I've noticed that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I've tried Halo Hex Skewers on a rear hub with QR caps in a track end dropout that worked great. At $10-$15, it's cheaper alternative to a bolt on conversion I'm guessing, but there was a recent thread in which someone reported noticeably increased stiffness when they switched to bolt-ons. I have bolt-ons now, but can't say I've noticed that.
    I'm also using the Halo Hex with great results on my Monkey with a single drive side tuggnut - but I like options for the future. You can get the Halo Hex pretty tight and they're cheap. I actually broke the well costly and well regarded DT RMS at the same force that the Halo handles just fine.

BTW, Stan's will build this same wheelset with these same hubs for like $700-800.

mtbr member

I tried some vouchers and none of them worked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    I tried some vouchers and none of them worked.

The one I found only took off $8 anyway - but I figured $389 was good enough for me. I need to off load my 2,300 gram wheels.

mtbr member

What am I missing? The arches show $500 at wiggles. How are you getting them for $389?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I'm taking my chances with some Crests 29ers laced to Hope hubs - we'll see if I bend them! They don't seem to have a similar Arch or Flow setup now.

mtbr member

I'm taking my chances with some Crests 29ers laced to Hope hubs - we'll see if I bend them! They don't seem to have a similar Arch or Flow setup now.
    Great deal if they work out for you. I am 230 geared up. I would be scared of destroying them.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast