mtbr member
    Nov 2010

best bike shop in seattle?

Willl be travelling through Seattle in a couple of weeks, any suggestions on the best bike shops to stop and poke around in?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What part of Seattle? What kind of riding are you into?
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    mountain single track, bikepacking, some road, fat all witner (and all spring it seems). Looking for interesting small shops and staying out of REI! Will be all over Seattle and immediate area.

idig2000
    Gregg's Cycles (Seattle shop on Woodlawn Ave) and Center Cycle in Renton on Lind Ave (~ 20 min south of Seattle).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    GHY bikes in Renton

mtbr member
    Greggs is just a local big box. I wouldn't support them.

In Seattle

Downhill Zone
    Big Tree Bikes

Outside Seattle
    Gerks
    Mountainside/Veloce Velo
    Woodinville Bicycle(not a huge selection of mountain stuff right now but good guys)
    Redmond Cycle
    Cycle Therapy

Gnar
    Big Tree Bikes if you are into downhill, freeride or gravity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the info - we have two LBS - which are fine - but it's sure nice get out and see something different! Never know what one will find...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Big Tree definitely for the MTB stuff.

If you're into vintage/used, recycled cycles in the University District is awesome to poke around, TONS of used parts bins and lots of good deals to be had.

R+E cycles is where they make handmade Rodriguez bikes, and is a very cool (mostly roadie) shop, in north University District/Ravenna

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Montlake

I'm pretty critical of bike shops and mechanics, but I've been generally impressed with Montlake. They carry a good mix of MTB, road, townie stuff, etc. Their mechanics are very competent across all disciplines.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-H View Post
    Greggs is just a local big box. I wouldn't support them.
    Gregg's is locally owned and the owner is directly involved. Yes they are big, but they are not big box like REI and Performance. Gregg's also does huge amounts of promotion and support of cycling in the Seattle area.

I used to work for them so I know what I am talking about, you can hate on them for being successful but they pay their employees better than either of the other two "big box" stores in town and provide good benefits (and I worked for a few shops that provided ZERO benefits) so they tend to have longevity instead of high turnover.

mtbr member
    ^ Good to know. I've just heard bad stories about the mechanics screwing over customers and salesmen being disinterested in the customer, typical of the "big box" experience.

I bought my first real mtn bike at Greggs. If they do what you say, that's great. I might have to put them back on my list of shops to visit.