James Adams

Best bang for the buck on mid-level crankset/BB?

I will soon need to replace my cassette, front/middle chain ring, and chain (1x9 set up on a 29er), and while I'm at it I'd like to upgrade my crankset and bottom bracket. I'm hoping to find a good deal since it's getting into that time of year when price drops and closeouts are more common. I'm looking for a decent crankset with an external bottom bracket, as I've been told that it'll be way stiffer than my current lower end Shimano crankset with internal bottom bracket. My frame is a Niner EMD in case that makes a difference. Can anyone make a recommendation? Thanks in advance for your responses!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I purchased a set of Truvativ AKA from JensonUsa a couple of weeks back. They have 3 different types, single ring with bash, double ring with bash and a tripple. The spider is removable on all three so you can run a bling ring for your 1x set up. They are $99 currently.

PVGNA PRO PATRIA
    S l x

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bike nashbar has xt cranksets for 200 bucks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you want something middle of the road but higher end, SLX. Blue Sky has them for $139 right now.
    If you're looking for cheaper but still good, Deore was running around $65-$75.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Truvativ Stylo
    SLX

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've been running a SLX for 2 seasons now, last season as 3x9 setup and this season as SS. It's been great so far.

App-a-LATCH-un

Stylo

Two sets of stylos for hundreds of miles and no faults. I've heard of loose crank arms, but I think it's the older style because I haven't seen any of that. Bearings have lasted amazingly. Still going strong as of now. Paid just over $100 for a set. 1 at 2x9+bash and 1 at 3x9.
    I've got a bike
    You can ride it if you like
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings
    and things to make it look good . . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ronyc View Post
    I purchased a set of Truvativ AKA from JensonUsa a couple of weeks back. They have 3 different types, single ring with bash, double ring with bash and a tripple. The spider is removable on all three so you can run a bling ring for your 1x set up. They are $99 currently.
    Also I thought I saw the s1400 x7 level Sram cranks on Jenson for cheap. Great thing about these and the AKA is that you can remove the spider and go spiderless with and HBC or MRP rings.

Otherwise, everybody seems to love the SLX.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    SLX is probably best bet. Chain Reaction Cycles does have the FSA Afterburner for under $100 which is tempting if you are on a real budget. I like the Truvativ AKA but Jenson only has 170mm

mtbr member
    SLX triple and remove the big and small rings. crank arms are very similar in weight to XT. Its different than the double (reinforced for DH)

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monocongo View Post
    I will soon need to replace my cassette, front/middle chain ring, and chain (1x9 set up on a 29er), and while I'm at it I'd like to upgrade my crankset and bottom bracket. I'm hoping to find a good deal since it's getting into that time of year when price drops and closeouts are more common. I'm looking for a decent crankset with an external bottom bracket, as I've been told that it'll be way stiffer than my current lower end Shimano crankset with internal bottom bracket. My frame is a Niner EMD in case that makes a difference. Can anyone make a recommendation? Thanks in advance for your responses!
    Does BCD matter?
    Get it unlocked.

mtbr member

Chamois Dropper
    This is a good deal for a solid crankset IMO. Already set up for 1 x 9. I have a Deus on my bike but I put this set on my wife's bike and no problems, easy install.
    Race Face Evolve175mm SS 32/Bash Black/Red Graphics Crankset with X-Drive Bottom Bracket from ModernBike.com
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg