Person
    Sep 2005

Bad service from Wheelworld - normal?

I don't like to start threads like this, but have waited long enough....

Placed an order from Wheelworld last Wednesday, everything was in stock according to the website.

They called a day later to say that something was in fact not in stock (website still shows instock). So I said to ship the order without the tires.

A week goes by and my order status is still "being processed".

Sent an email 2 days ago to find out what the delay is, and no reply.

Is this normal service from them?

Every other store I have dealt with ships orders within a day or two, waiting over a week to ship in stock items what I expect from a half-assed ebay seller, not a proper store.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    At least you got a call. The only time I ordered from them my order sat in "processing" status for 8 days before I called to see what was up. They said that one of my items was out of stock but it would be in in a couple days. I was fine with that so I told them to ship the whole order at once. Another 12 days went by and still nothing. I called again and they said that the item they were waiting on was back ordered indefinitely. I cancelled my order. I dont have a problem with items being back ordered or out of stock, but it annoys me to no end when online retailers fail to communicate with their customers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Same experience here, can't recommend them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    Bad service from Wheelworld normal?
    Yes.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

Person
    Sep 2005
    I just spent 20 minutes on hold.

They have no idea what happened to my order, yet they did charge my credit card 8 days ago.

What a mess this place is. He gave me some lame excuse about new staff not knowing the procedures, and some crap about world economics.

Don't waste your time with Wheelworld, I have had nothing but perfect service from Jenson, Speedgoat, and Performance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I just spent 20 minutes on hold.

They have no idea what happened to my order, yet they did charge my credit card 8 days ago.

What a mess this place is. He gave me some lame excuse about new staff not knowing the procedures, and some crap about world economics.

Don't waste your time with Wheelworld, I have had nothing but perfect service from Jenson, Speedgoat, and Performance.
    Sounds like what happened to me. They illegally charged my card over two weeks ago now, nothing shipped and no response to my E-mails. I guess I'll have to get Visa to reverse the charge.

These guys just aren't worth the hassle or risk.

mtbr member
    Baulz ,did you say perfect service with Performance ? give me a break ,the store in San Rafael charged extra $1900 on my debit card ,and my account was negative ...they did know what happened and how to fix the problem until I called the corporate,it took 5 days to fix the problem.
    About Wheelworld ,they just don't update the website ,again don't trust the website ,
    They do not have the thule hitch rack ,kone stab,and the giant dh frame etc....

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I ordered two handlebars from WheelWorld. When the order came, there was only one bar. I called them (not the 1-800 number, I wated forever on that one), talked to a guy, he checked and found there was an error (something glitchy seemed to have happened, "my" order kept crossing with someone else's order). In any case, they are shipping the second handlebar free of charge (obviously) ... I was happy with my service.

No Knuckle Crew
    Jan 2007
    Maybe I'm the exception, but I have never had a problem with Wheel World. Whenever I want an item, I call and ask to speak with Brad. He has gone out of his way on more then one occasion to locate items that the website and other employees said were out of stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Killabrew
    Maybe I'm the exception, but I have never had a problem with Wheel World. Whenever I want an item, I call and ask to speak with Brad. He has gone out of his way on more then one occasion to locate items that the website and other employees said were out of stock.
    Or maybe you are Brad. Just kidding
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

mtbr member
    I ordered from them once. they sent the wrong crankset. it was only slightly different and no price difference, but after calling and emailing i never got any worthwhile response. never again.

mtbr member

Not as good as they used to be...

I live close to both of their brick-and-mortar stores, and have found that they aren't as good as they used to be several years ago. Perhaps business is so good for them, they don't need my business. Often two employees would rather talk to each other than take my money on a sale. A couple of times, I just put the stuff down and walked out, off to a shop that was interested in my business. Maybe they changed owners? I still go back from time to time for a good deal on parts and close-outs. Yes, their website is not always up to date, so I call to check and see if an item is really in stock. Without exception, the dozen or so shops that do mailorder/web order in the USA can beat the prices of my local bike shops and provide good service, too, but I'll always walk into my LBS when looking for stuff, for all the above mentioned reasons.

mtbr member

They called a day later to say that something was in fact not in stock (website still shows instock).
    had this happen to me as well and a week later it still showed it was in stock on their website even though it was a close out and they weren't getting anymore.
    07 Mongoose Black Diamond Double
    custom Giant STP

mtbr member

walk in service

I purchased my bike last December at Wheelworld in Culver City.

Russ the store manager has gone out of his why to help me out on a couple of warranty issues with the bike. Most of the guys a friendly, and helpful. I have seen several new faces since I December. Maybe there has been some turnover.

The last time I took the bike in for service, the forks got a few scratches on it. I will mention this to the manager on my next vist.

I have never ordered on line from Wheelworld, so I can't comment about their Internet service. I prefer to get the parts in my hands if possible.

hmmmm
    i ordered once.... the outlaws i ordered were out of stock but they shipped them 2 days later when they came back in stock... the 888 i order came in 3 days of order....

no complaints here

Trying a little
    My only experience is walk in. I would never let them touch my bike for service.
    They have poor selection in store of everything except complete bikes.

I was there yesterday.
    I got very surly, service, the guy resented having to work.

I'm just glad Dave doesn't work there anymore (Woodland hills store)
    Uncle Attitude, that guy.

I bought some shoes that were the wrong size.
    I walked around in them, and they wouldn't accept them as a return.
    Jackholes.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Arnborg strik

Ordered

2 handlebars from them (Easton Monkeylite XC + SL) 8days ago.
    I can pick them up at my local postoffice on monday.

I should mention that i live in Denmark,about 8000km from Wheelworld.
    That is pretty quick service/shipping.

i'm happy
    Single dad, and proud of it!

bi-winning
    I ordered from them once. With a %20 off coupon, and some closeout deals, i am willing to overlook the fact that it took several days before my order shipped. It was the middle of winter, and i was in no rush. I was concerned though, so i called the 1-800 number, and talked to somebody about my order status without waiting on hold for a long time.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    I was there yesterday.
    I got very surly, service, the guy resented having to work.
    Did he look like this guy?
    Last edited by NorKal; 12-29-2010 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Good experience here

I just purchased from them from for the first time. I ordered a helmet from wheelworld. It shipped promptly, but arrived damaged. (I blame UPS, the box looked like a truck fell on it). After contacting wheelworld, I shipped it back, and asked them to e-mail me when the replacement order shipped. The replacement helmet shipped promptly, and arrived today. Decent enough service in my book.