mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Backcountry...the new Sages Cycles? Scammers?

So I ordered a handlebar...great deal. It was on back order. Fast forward a month + to today.

After several emails with gearheads and being told each time it will ship tomorrow. it still has not shipped.

They even gave a greater discount and free next day shipping

But it is just like Sages Cycles scam where they they it is shipping but never ships.

So I ask...Backcountry...what happened to you guys? You were great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've ordered multiple times recently and never had an issue. Hopefully your experience in a one time type thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been buying from Backcountry for years and never have had one problem. I just bought my wife a new osprey hydration pack last week. Arrived yesterday. Call them instead of emailing, or better yet, use there online chat function. I've used it in the past and it was very beneficial.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah I've had nothing but good experiences with those guys. Once I got sent the wrong fork and they bent over backwards to make it right.

Sorry to hear you are getting the run around...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think it's over the top to declare them equivalent to Sage and scammers in the headline over one order gone awry. I think if you order something on backorder from anyone you should be prepared for delays. Not saying it's not possible they could have handled it better, but I've ordered thousands worth of stuff from them over the years and it's been overwhelmingly positive. I think the majority of responses you'll get in here will echo this as well. You should probably cancel the order and move on if you don't want to wait any longer. Sh!t happens, even from the best retailers. It's not a reflection of them overall.

Warrior's Society
    ^^^^^^this^^^^^
    You sen them an email and they responded. ....doesn't sound like Sage Cycles to me.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Like kevinboyer said, better results with the chat or phone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have never had a problem with BC. I have been screwed by Sage before.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm in a similar situation with a Niner Carbon RDO seatpost, but I'm not worried at all. The deal was sweet enough, where I will continue to wait for a long while. I'm also in no rush either. I've just pointed the finger back to the manufacturer. Nothing but great stuff from Backcountry and sister company Competitive Cyclist.

...oh and the fact that they gave an even bigger discount and free next day shipping to the OP doesn't say anything good about them?

Trail Prospector

Re: Backcountry...the new Sages Cycles? Scammers?

OP, By knowingly ordering a back-ordered item you are now subject to availability. If in demand, no distributor has ANY control of timeline. Consider yourself fortunate that they offered a further discount, learn this lesson*, and happily STFU.

Comparing a reputable company to a scammer just makes you look like a whiney lil biotch.

(edit - *Unless prepared to wait, never order back-ordered items.)
    (tapa)
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 06-06-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Love the replies. Keep them coming!!

I emailed, phone, live chat and everything except drive to the building.

Yes I am whiney. Thanks for the compliment. Hugs and kisses to you my friend. Have a beer and think about how awesome it is to be an forum tough guy. Cheers!

Like I said in the post never had a problem before and have placed many orders over many years.

When I did get a supervisor on the phone they said their "gear heads" dropped the ball several times during this incident. It goes to show that even awesome companies have weak links.

I intended to make a harsh comparison. When a company as good as Backcountry constantly makes internal errors they should be called out on it. They are a service organization. it is the nature of their business to excel are customer satisfaction.

The best part was that the supervisor could not or would not even tell me what the core issue was with the gear heads giving me the run around. So it shows some fundamental flaw within their system.

New management? New business model? Outsourcing the sales reps and customer service?

mtbr member
    Is the bar you ordered still on backorder on the BC website?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Some people just need to learn when to take their conversation to the phone. Yes, Backcountry should do a better job communicating, but more times then not, a person will respond much better when they are talking with another human.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm a fairly loyal BC customer, but they definitely have their issues. For me, it's been very misleading product descriptions on bike parts... However, IMO their customer service is top notch and I've never had a problem getting it sorted out. Each situation is different, I guess.

Fat & Single
    Just had a search to see if a Backcountry topic existed before posting a new one.

So mid January I ordered a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Projects, the shipping price to Australia was $49.99, they were the only ones selling the "signal orange" versions.... well the only ones saying they could get them.

I placed the order and threw in another couple of small items to make the $50 postage worth while. I get an email within a week saying the shoes were on backorder and would be shipped as soon as the arrived with backcountry in a week or so.

So meantime they ship the "token items" to me and the invoice says - shipping $10.90.... which didn't really matter as I had sucked up the $49.99 to get an Orange pair of these X-Projects anyway.

I contact them after a month, and was told another month, this went on for 4 months till 2 weeks ago when I got an email from them saying that they were never going to be able to get the orange X-projects in stock... EVER !

Well, no big deal as ive waited on them for 6 months already.

I go to pay my credit card balance a few days ago and see a charge from backcountry for $51 ??? The scumbags have charged me for the original shipping on the orange x-projects claiming the shipping price for the extra items came to $51 (5 months ago) and I would be paying even know I didn't get the main item I ordered.

I have exchanged 6-8 emails with them and I might as well bang my head against a wall, some little upstart who is replying to my emails just doest want to hear my side.... its now with my credit card company for an unauthorised transaction on my account.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    So, got an update.

Backcountry have admitted they did charge me $10.90 for the first shipment and have refunded that.... but still charging me $49.99 as that is their "baseline" shipping price. Even know i did not get the $290 Orange X-Projects.... i still have to pay the baseline shipping price for the $80 of "little" items i threw in to fill the order up.

So the actual shipping was $10.90 but because they f$#ked me around for 6 months promising the shoes i ordered, then admitted they couldn't actually get them, I get to pay the shipping on items i could get in the LBS down the road.

CC company is investigating.

I'll never buy anything from these jokers again or any of their sister companies.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Trail Prospector
    I too wondered about the availability of the P.I. Project shoes. They were the only one's listing them. Glad I didn't bite, and sorry to hear this.

(tapa)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Fat & Single
    Cheers Flyin_W..... Yes, the only shop on the planet to advertise the Orange X-Projects 1.0's.

Could have bought the black ones from anyone for well over a $100 less but gave the cash to these pretenders, who then took more money when they couldn't come up with the goods that they lured me in with in the first place.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Well, my credit card company has taken the money back off these thieves and credited my account. Shame on you Backcountry !!!

I paid for all items and postage, you messed me around for 5 months over a product you advertised and didn't have... and couldn't ever get. Then you charged me postage for something I didn't get as you said "That was the postage I agreed to pay", you still don't understand that I shouldn't pay postage for pair of shoes that I didn't receive.

Justice was done !!!
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Well, my credit card company has taken the money back off these thieves and credited my account. Shame on you Backcountry !!!

I paid for all items and postage, you messed me around for 5 months over a product you advertised and didn't have... and couldn't ever get. Then you charged me postage for something I didn't get as you said "That was the postage I agreed to pay", you still don't understand that I shouldn't pay postage for pair of shoes that I didn't receive.

Justice was done !!!
    I've never had a real bad experience with Backcountry. Like many people, I despise talking on the phone. No I'm not a millennial facebook no interpersonal skill generation. I'm Gen X, but I still hate taking on the phone. Jesus could be calling to invite me to heaven and it would go to voicemail. Thus the invention of online chat is a beautiful thing. I use that with BC all the time and get things resolved.

The only issue I have with BC is how they destroyed Competitive Cyclists business model. I use to spend so much money there, but now their new website SUCKS and their prices are nothing special. I bet I haven't bought a single item from CC in a year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58 View Post
    I've never had a real bad experience with Backcountry. Like many people, I despise talking on the phone. No I'm not a millennial facebook no interpersonal skill generation. I'm Gen X, but I still hate taking on the phone. Jesus could be calling to invite me to heaven and it would go to voicemail. Thus the invention of online chat is a beautiful thing. I use that with BC all the time and get things resolved.

The only issue I have with BC is how they destroyed Competitive Cyclists business model. I use to spend so much money there, but now their new website SUCKS and their prices are nothing special. I bet I haven't bought a single item from CC in a year.
    The pricing right now at Competitive Cyclist's Tour De France sales is as good or better than anywhere right now. Example: Northwave Extreme Tech shoes 1/2 price and many other great deals.