Thread: Avid BB-7's

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Avid BB-7's

I recieved a gift card to a bike shop in the area that price matches, so does anybody know the cheapest prices for a set of BB-7's? I know, I know, just suck it up and support the LBS, well, I'm a pretty poor college student so, I will eventually support the LBS completely, but for now I will be as frugal as possible.

Freshly Fujified

Price Point-$70 ea.

Here's a link:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15076-115_AVDBB6-3-Parts-158-Brakes/Disc/Avid-BB7-Disc-Brake---Mechanical-185-203mm-'06-offerIN050BB1.htm?zmam=3075515&zmas=1&zmac=20&zmap=15076

I hope you can get the match.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

tl1
    Bicyclist

They'll probably be better parts too

I bought a BB-7 at Pricepoint last year and it was OEM stuff in a plastic bag. The pads were contaminated to boot. Later I bought 3 BB-7s at Cambria on 2 different occasions and they were the real deal after market ones in after market boxes.

mtbr member

What is the main difference

I bought a BB-7 at Pricepoint last year and it was OEM stuff in a plastic bag. The pads were contaminated to boot. Later I bought 3 BB-7s at Cambria on 2 different occasions and they were the real deal after market ones in after market boxes.
    Besides your situation where the pads were contaminated, what is the major difference between OEM and aftermarket products?

I have purchased OEM stuff and aftermarket stuff and I can't tell the difference. However, I have been known to overlook things.
    It is difficult for some people to use the two words "too" and "to" appropriately.

"I had to go where I went, to get where I am. Any other path would have taken me elsewhere, and I may have missed the joy."

Freshly Fujified

No real difference

Quote Originally Posted by jspharmd
    Besides your situation where the pads were contaminated, what is the major difference between OEM and aftermarket products?
    In this instance, I don't think the OEM product is different. I think the problem arises when the consumer buys something that they believe to be aftermarket, and it arrives as OEM. The vendor should have listed them as OEM and set the buyer's expectations. I'd have been upset.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    So if there is not a functional difference, why would one care whether the product was OEM or aftermarket. My guess is that most people experiencing this (OEM instead of aftermarket) probably didn't pay retail. I would bet they saved money on the purchase.

So, are OEM products worth less than aftermarket products (new in box)? I just can't understand why someone would be upset, unless they wanted to keep the box, or if there were parts missing.
    It is difficult for some people to use the two words "too" and "to" appropriately.

"I had to go where I went, to get where I am. Any other path would have taken me elsewhere, and I may have missed the joy."

mtbr member
    The only problems that I know of are:
    1: You don't get the nice directions
    2: Sometimes the simple handy-wrap of the OEM stuff has a tough time with shipping. In particular, I know people that got bent rotors.

tl1
    Bicyclist

I'm fine with OEM

...as long as it's identified that the parts are indeed take offs from a previously assembled bike. The only real problems come in where that assembly/disassembly created damage in the part. It would be pretty rare for new aftermarket parts to arrive damaged in some way.

In my case, it was disappointing because I had ordered these parts around 3 months before I actually ended up using them so I didn't really feel justified in contacting them for replacement.

mtbr member
    Maybe someone in the know can tell us for sure, But I think the parts are brand new -- not taken off of some bike. That's just the way the manufacturers wrap them for OEMs who don't need the fancy box or directions.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Depends on the part and the company.

Forks are some of the worst. OEM and AM (Aftermarket) could have different springs, different steerer tubes, and a bunch of other stuff. Some stems or bars may be heavier than their AM parts.

For a lot of other parts, the OEM and AM stuff is identical expect for packaging. It all depends on what the buying and selling companies agreed on.

And it isn't unique to bikes either. Ever wonder why some of the stuff at Wal-Mart was cheaper... some of the 'identical' or 'nearly identical' fall into the same OEM vs AM system. As always... buyer beware!

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    umm, i dont think an LBS will match an internet price if that is your intent, at least i have never seen one that will

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Give Chad @ RedBarn a call. He usually beats most mail order places with a smile

http://redbarnbicycles.com/