Tear it all out! SuperModerator

New question here. Anyone have deals on build kits?

Looking for a build kit for my wife's new XC/trail/AM FS frame (4.5" & 5.3" travel).

Other than Wheelworld, does anyone else sell built kit packages?

I've looked at the Wheelworld packages, but the parts included are a little on the "budget" side.
    http://wheelworld.com/itemlist.cfm?f...arch=build+kit
    (I'm guessing they were stripped off the Kona frames they sell.)

She already has a fork, so that could be omitted, but she most other parts, other than the frame specific ones like seatpost, front derailleur, etc.

The bike is going to be used more for XC/trail so she would like to keep the weight down.

Edit: I guess I should have used the search first.
    Cheap Build Kits
    Any other stores?

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I got the Pricepoint SRAM build kit. They let you swap or drop parts and adjust the prices very fairly. I didn't like the Sette saddle much -- it was comfortable and light but it fell apart -- but the other Sette stuff (stem, post, bars) was outstanding. The seatpost is better than the Ritchey or the Easton I own and as good as the RaceFace.

I wasn't too keen on the Truvativ cranks either but other people swear by them.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=1330

Its one I am looking at myself for an XC/all mountian setup.

Freshly Fujified

The usual suspects

Have you called Larry at Mtn High, Chad at Red Barn or Jared at Downshift? my guess is that if you aren't enamored with the build kits that have already been mentioned, make a list of what you want by make and model and call one of these guys. Always good resources to deal with.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

banned
    Sep 2005
    Jenson has a wheel, DC shifter/hydro brake and caliper setup for 3 bills. Add a derailleur or two for about 75 and you're pretty good for a drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Thanks

[QUOTE=CraigH]
    http://wheelworld.com/itemlist.cfm?f...arch=build+kit

Craig: Thanks for finding that build kit. I'm building a bike for my girlfriend. She's not really into biking, so I want to get a bike built for her so she can catch the bug...then I'll focus on upgrades. That kit looks like pretty much what I'll need.

Also, check out www.pricepoint.com for other kits of varying degrees of expense.
    Either you rode today, or you didn't.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    You're welcome!

We ended up buying the required parts needed locally from the LBS here in the Vancouver area who gives great deals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    I got the Pricepoint SRAM build kit. They let you swap or drop parts and adjust the prices very fairly. I didn't like the Sette saddle much -- it was comfortable and light but it fell apart -- but the other Sette stuff (stem, post, bars) was outstanding. The seatpost is better than the Ritchey or the Easton I own and as good as the RaceFace.

I wasn't too keen on the Truvativ cranks either but other people swear by them.
    I'm looking at this too. Comparing individual prices on their site shows almost a $200 difference. If that's true, it's a decent package, at least pricewise.

You said they let you swap/drop parts. Do you mean you can change to more than what the drop down selections give? Did you do that by calling them?

mtbr member
    Pricepoint doesn't show the MTB kits anymore.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    They still have the X9 Disc build kit up there. (That's the one I got).

They revamp the build kits every so often, will probably be more choice in a couple of days.

You can call them up and tell them "I want the X9 Disc build kit, only I don't need the wheels, and I need 29er tires and I want the WTB saddle instead of the Sette" and they will adjust the price accordingly. It was very easy and they seemed happy to do it. It still ended up as a great deal.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    They still have the X9 Disc build kit up there. (That's the one I got).

They revamp the build kits every so often, will probably be more choice in a couple of days.

You can call them up and tell them "I want the X9 Disc build kit, only I don't need the wheels, and I need 29er tires and I want the WTB saddle instead of the Sette" and they will adjust the price accordingly. It was very easy and they seemed happy to do it. It still ended up as a great deal.
    Good to know. I actually sent an email asking for a few different options but haven't heard back. They did indicate I could switch stuff.