Living the Dream

any military discounts for online dealers

for Iraq and Afghanistan Vets?

Thanks!
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

GAME ON!
    wishful thinking.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

~Disc~Golf~
    how would you prove it anyways? - fax them your DD-214?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Living the Dream

Well I did learn

that competitivecyclist.com does a 10% military discount.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Living the Dream

Easy

ID Card Photo from Iphone.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^ I flash my (expired) military ID at the local Ski Park and get $25 lift passes (vs $48) -
    No snow though this year in NorCal

If you are still in, make sure you keep it for just such occasions If/when you get out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Have you checked to see if making a photo of your ID card is a security violation or not? I'm in the USCG and not only are we not allowed to do that we are supposed to report it when a person tries to photocopy an ID. It would suck to get in trouble over something like that.

Promotive.com - Pro deals on hundreds of brands with discounts up to 70% off retail

I've gotten plenty of good deals from Promotive.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by dm1333 View Post
    Have you checked to see if making a photo of your ID card is a security violation or not? I'm in the USCG and not only are we not allowed to do that we are supposed to report it when a person tries to photocopy an ID. It would suck to get in trouble over something like that.

Promotive.com - Pro deals on hundreds of brands with discounts up to 70% off retail

Good point - Photocopying (unless authorized) is a big no-no - ask your record-keepers what is acceptable to provide proof online (if still active)

Red October
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    that competitivecyclist.com does a 10% military discount.
    Competitive Cyclist is a (was?) a great group to deal with if you're in the military, I've bought three road bikes and several group sets and wheels from them over the last 5 years. They were recently bought by another company and move their headquarters from Arkansas to Utah, but I don't know if that will affect their policies on this...

Quote Originally Posted by dm1333 View Post

It is indeed a no no. Its recent, but we got an ALARACT in the Army about it, basically the bottom line is you can show it to anyone you want, but can't send copies or photos.
    Bicycles are the physical manifestation of freedom
    fb me flickr

Support OUR Wounded
    Don't abuse the active duty benefits, those are in place largely because your E-3's make near crap for pay and need community support to have a similar quality of life as their immediate superiors and the general public. When you get out move on. If your VA card gets you bennies (like at homedepot or performance bike) then great, but don't abuse the system. All companies base discounts on perceived demand, and if their forecasts prove wrong due to an unplanned population (in this case the massive amount of veterans using a discount that was intended to only be applicable to a very small active and active reserve force), the company could be forced to reduce the discount or eliminate it all together.

I loved the discounts while I was in, but I love the freedom afforded by civilian life more and still shop at the places that hooked me up while I was AD to help them keep their profits at a level that allows them to support the troops.
    They were willing to give their lives for yours, some of them did, others just gave up their way of life. Support the WWP.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Awesome input Stumpy, from a USMC E-3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy223 View Post
    Don't abuse the active duty benefits, those are in place largely because your E-3's make near crap for pay and need community support to have a similar quality of life as their immediate superiors and the general public. When you get out move on. If your VA card gets you bennies (like at homedepot or performance bike) then great, but don't abuse the system. All companies base discounts on perceived demand, and if their forecasts prove wrong due to an unplanned population (in this case the massive amount of veterans using a discount that was intended to only be applicable to a very small active and active reserve force), the company could be forced to reduce the discount or eliminate it all together.

I loved the discounts while I was in, but I love the freedom afforded by civilian life more and still shop at the places that hooked me up while I was AD to help them keep their profits at a level that allows them to support the troops.
    Good history lesson man, I did not know this at all being a Vet myself but seems like most of the vendors that offer Mil discounts really dont know this either, they seem to be happy to offer a Mil discount.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Good point - Photocopying (unless authorized) is a big no-no - ask your record-keepers what is acceptable to provide proof online (if still active)
    Here is the regulation

701. Official badges, identification cards, other insignia

Whoever manufactures, sells, or possesses any badge, identification card, or other insignia, of the design prescribed by the head of any department or agency of the United States for use by any officer or employee thereof, or any colorable imitation thereof, or photographs, prints, or in any other manner makes or executes any engraving, photograph, print, or impression in the likeness of any such badge, identification card, or other insignia, or any colorable imitation thereof, except as authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
    Many sites that offer mil spec gear, like oakley (recently used), smith & wesson, leatherman, require you to send a form and a copy of your ID for proof. The form does state a black and white copy only.