mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Any good prices on complete build kit (w/o frame)??

I'm on the cusp of ordering a Titus X frame and am looking for a build kit for the rest. I would like to order a complete build kit. I'd prefer SRAM over Shimano, but really I am fairly open to either. I'm just looking for the best price. I'll have the frame, and front and rear shocks taken care of.

Can anyone point me in the proper direction of where to look for the rest at the best price? I'm going to have lots of questions as I go and I am looking at this as a fun/frustrating learning experience. I'm sure that much of this stuff will shortly trickle it's way down to my other bikes (2004 Spec. Hardrock 26er & 2011 Spec. Hardrock 29er) as well, so I don't need XO quality stuff right now. I'm looking for decent stuff at a great price. After I get this together and ride it a bit, I'll start upgrading as I go.

Thanks gang/gurus!! I really appreciate your help.

mtbr member
    i was looking for kit too but ended up buying components separately. ended up paying way less. i kept watching websites for deals. i am on hunt for fork right now, which i the last piece i need.
    and just fyi, bike bling has sram 20% off coupon right now.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Ditto on buying seperate parts.

Blueskycycling has some good build kits though. But when I price them out individually I end up with a better deal.

Bike Bling has some sweet deals too on individual parts.

Here is a list of places I shop

Nashbar and Performance bike - when they have a 15% or 20% coupon
    Pricepoint -
    JensonUSA -
    BikeBling
    Biker Bob - you might be able to get a great deal on a kit from him.
    Cambria
    Blueskycycling

I usually stay away from ebay.

Are you thinking of a 3x9 or 3x10 or 2x10 set-up?

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I forgot - I have also compiled all the best deals from the above site and then taken them to universalcycle to price match and therefor save on shipping and get it all from one place. They have one of the quickest price matches around. I think JensonUSA does this too but they do not have the selection universalcycle does.

mtbr member
    i was gonna say, universal cycles, vip10 and vip15 coupons work

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ideally I'd like to go 2x10 on the Titus...but I'll probably go 3x9 with this stuff as I am more familiar with it and the parts will be applicable toward my other bikes as "hand me downs". The 3x9 will be cheaper to learn with as far as installing the equipment, and if I screw something up it looks like it will be cheaper to replace.

As I have never done this before I'm baffled on the hub, cassette, etc. I was thinking a complete build kit would potentially make things a bit easier for me. After I posted I searched a bit online. I ran across this SRAM X9 kit on Pricepoint:

Sram X.9 Disc Build Kit at Price Point

It seems pretty reasonable enough for what is included, but I know it can probably be pieced together less expensively. I'm as interested in the learning curve on this stuff as the stuff itself. In the end, most of this equipment will wind up on my two Specialized HR's. Heck...even my 2004 is still stock (revogrip twist shifters and all) and that's got thousands of miles on it.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    make sure you get a torque wrench to put everything together with and make sure it is in inch pounds not Foot pound.

I have stripped too many bike parts to count until I finally ponied up and got a torque wrench.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm all set on the torque wrench as I bought one a few years back. What I need is to get a work stand. That'll help a lot. I guess I ought to be looking for one of those right now.

mtbr member
    thats what i am looking for right now too, waiting for labor day to maybe get better deal

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Park makes great stands. Stay away from those $50 stands that hold the frame near the bottom bracket. You want something with a swining arm. I have also found it usefull to have lots of lube and loc tight around.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i was gonna say, universal cycles, vip10 and vip15 coupons work
    Thanks for the coupons I just used it and it worked

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    make sure you get a torque wrench to put everything together with and make sure it is in inch pounds not Foot pound.

I have stripped too many bike parts to count until I finally ponied up and got a torque wrench.
    +1 on the torque wrench.
    ebay does have good deals. I wouldn't stay away from them since you are protected by your credit card and paypal. However, try to stick to the larger bike shops on ebay and not the individuals. rockymountaincyclery has really good auctions and I've bought stuff for a real great deal.