mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Any fellow Canadians order from Jensen USA?

Hi,

I'm wondering if any Canadians on these forums have ordered parts through JensenUSA? They currently have a pretty good deal on Shimano SLX brakes and the shipping isn't too shabby either. I'm wondering how they are on returns and warranty in particular. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    While I can't help you with your original question, check out this for SLX brakes:
    Shimano deals at Ribble - SLX M675 cranks $99 shipped
    Ribble is a site based in the UK. Only $115 or so for a pair (front and rear) SLX M675 brakes, or $150 or so for XT M785.
    Bamboo is real.

mtbr member

Any fellow Canadians order from Jensen USA?

Jenson has good prices, cheap and really fast shipping, and I've never been hit with a customs charge. Great in my opinion. The canadian exchange rate has hurt their competitiveness a bit in the last few months though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I used to order from Jenson regularly when I lived in Canada because their shipping was good and they price match which can lead to some pretty good deals. Now that I'm in Australia shipping with them (UPS) is a killer so I mostly stick to the UK shops. Modernbike.com charge a flat $20 shipping which is good if you are ordering a lot of stuff from Canada.

mtbr member
    Ive ordered from them multiple times with success and satisfaction. As stated previously, you'll have to keep the exchange rate in mind when pricing things out. You're looking at roughly +10% on your order... and then shipping and tax on top of it.

If you can get a decent order together to make shipping worthwhile... Then price match your components to the best price you can find. You should get a satisfactory experience.
    . . . . ._ . . . . . . . . . __
    . . . . 'O . . . . . . . . / ^ ^ \
    . . . . /\, . . . . . . / ^^ ^ ^^ \ _
    . . . -\ - . . . . . / ^^^ ^ ^ / ^ ^ ^\
    . . . / ' ( * ) / ^^^'^ ^ \ . / ^ ^ ^ ^ \'
    . ( * ) / ^^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ \ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^|.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yes, used jenson once; was great, super fast too. They don't use UPS to Canada which is very important to us in the GWN.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    The shipping and mandatory taxes charged by Jenson to Canadians really makes it not worthwhile in comparison to the UK based sites.

I used to be a Jenson customer, but now I use Chain Reaction Cycles, or Wiggle. I just acquired a set of SLX from wiggle for under $150 CDN - Shipping was slow (took 10 business days) but shipping was free and made it through customs w no duties to pay.

mtbr member
    I still order from Jenson. Get it shipped to Point Roberts, get some cheap gas for the car,avoid shipping and more often than not the taxes. If I am buying Shimano, I go with CRC or Wiggle. From the States its Jenson, Universal or Arts Cyclery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have ordered from both Jensen and crc and both time I was hit with fees when the goods were delivered.......arts seems to have good prices.

I was going to note that I find it funny how some items are a very similar price at the LBS vs online, while others are much cheaper on line......

mtbr member
    There might be some fees associated depending on what you ordered. Anything that isn't bike parts will often have some sort of duty associated with it. What were you charged for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Mtn View Post
    I have ordered from both Jensen and crc and both time I was hit with fees when the goods were delivered.......arts seems to have good prices.

I was going to note that I find it funny how some items are a very similar price at the LBS vs online, while others are much cheaper on line......
    i just wanted to add a bit of a footnote to this post - after making this I was contacted by a rep from Jensen, who was interested in finding out more details about the fees I paid.

After reviewing my bank records, and contacting UPS (the company that delivered the box of goddies), I am unable to find any details regarding the brokerage fees I am so sure I paid UPS to get my parcel.

I appreciated the Jensen rep efforts to reach out to me and look inot this situation.

I have only ever placed three orders on-line - two for bike parts (once at Jensen and once at CRC) and the third for a pair of DC Shoes.

The shoes were delivered to me with no additional charges.

The CRC order was eventually delivered to me via Canada Post and I had to pay a fee to Canada Post in order to get my box from them.

The Jesnen order may have had a fee charged to me by UPS; however, I can't find any details of it.

I am fairly confident in both cases I paid duty/fee of approximately 10.0% of the cost of my order.

It is my understanding from people I know that sometimes orders from outside Canada are subject to duties/fees and sometimes the package gets thru (for whatever reason) without attracting the attention of anyone.

As a result of the efforts of the Jensen rep, they will now be top of mind when I seriously consider upgrading my rig with some new Race Face Cranks/BB next winter......

mtbr member
    If you are receiving an item from Canada Post, that they have delivered on behalf of another entity (in CRCs case it would be Royal Mail - if coming from the States it would be USPS), they will charge you a handling fee of $10. This makes sense, as they are not getting any of the shipping charges (if any) you paid on that delivery. In the case of CRC you would in theory also be on the hook for GST and/or PST depending on what the items are and what province you live in. In addition, there can be duty on items entering Canada. You are best to look up what is charged duty and what isnt to avoid suprises should you in fact be charged.
    In the case of Jenson, the are supposed to ship to Canada with UPS with a service that includes all taxes (though they dont know what to charge GST on and what to charge both GST/PST on so you have to ask on a item by item basis) as well as brokerage fees. You would still be on the hook for duties on any of those items should they decide to charge them.

Hope that clears things up

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The above makes sense, I was somewhat expecting to have to pay something, but I was hoping I would not get dinged.

I guess I look at the charge I paid (whatever you want to call it) as the trade off for getting "free" healthcare here in Canada......

mtbr member
    Jenson tells you the final price to get your order to your door on their website. You won't be charged any extra fees when it shows up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have ordered from Jenson (twice), price point & crc (3times) to Canada.

Crc is hit & miss with paying brokerage. Price point I paid brokerage.

Jenson was VERY good, no extra fees or currency conversion costs. My last order ( a few weeks ago ), was ordered Sunday night & delivered Tuesday afternoon to Edmonton.

That's my experience & I would absolutely recommend Jenson to Canada. Even with shipping cost, once your order is over 100-150 dollars it's usually well worth it.

I do support my LBS with about half my purchases though, they are a kick ass shop.
    2009 - Devinci Remix SL3
    2012 - 9:ZERO:7
    2012 - Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    You do not pay brokerage fees on orders from Jenson. The reason being is that they ship using UPS Express Saver to Canada. They only charge the taxes and shipping. The shipping is a killer deal considering you basically get your order the next day if you order in time. Jenson charges you the taxes because they are billed for them when the shipment clears customs. Jenson is your best bet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    This thread makes me want to go shopping......

mtbr member
    Jenson is great. I wish I tried them a few years earlier. I paid $950 for my XX1 group. I'll be buying some more things this week.

mtbr member
    Jenson is awesome, as mentioned above, now you get an "all in" price, no surprises, super fast shipping too (next bus. day to GTA).

I kind of resent how great they are (have made a couple more orders lately than probably necessary. So fast and easy)

mtbr member
    Jenson is great, though sometimes USA prices with CAD-US conversion and shipping might not be competitive. Shipping is fast thought and customer service is pretty good. I'v ordered from Nashbar, CRC, and Universal Cycles too all with good results. This memorial day sale on right now has some really good prices. I picked up a 2x10 Raceface Turbine Crankset for $69 CAD!!!

mtbr member
    I have purchased stuff from Jensen's and had it shipped to my works brokerage warehouse in upper NY and then forwarded to my work in Ottawa. Great service but my last two orders from CRC were delivered within a week to my mail box from Canada Post with no duty or postal charges so its hard to beat that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newdee View Post
    This memorial day sale on right now has some really good prices. I picked up a 2x10 Raceface Turbine Crankset for $69 CAD!!!
    did you miss a digit in that price, or did i miss a great deal on something i've been keeping my eyes on?? link?
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingmat View Post
    did you miss a digit in that price, or did i miss a great deal on something i've been keeping my eyes on?? link?
    I did actually. it was $59.

I went on to the site randomly just before the sale email went out and right there on the homepage BAM! 80% off. By the time i got them into the cart, payed for, and refreshed they were sold out in every configuration. I should of bought 10! Im not sure what happened there but that was a crazy price for a very short period of time.