What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004

Another Performance customer service debacle

So, I ordered a new pair of riding gloves from Performance on July 23, via their website. The gloves, just a simple pair of Fox Mojaves, were noted as being "in stock." I selected regular shipping, and received my order confirmation that day. Fast forward 10 days later. No gloves. So, I check Performance's website for the order status. All it says is "in process." Not being sure exactly what that means, I call Performance. "What's the status of my order?" I ask. The answer: "Well...uh...we don't know. But you should have your order within 7 to 10 business days." "You don't know?" I ask. "No." The next day, I check the website again, and lo and behold my gloves were shipped on August 3rd. August 3rd? For an item listed as "in stock" when I ordered them on July 23? That's nearly two weeks just to process the order. So today, August 11, I check the website to see if I can track the gloves - I put in my order number and zip code and...nothing. "Order not found" is the response from the website. I think maybe that means the gloves arrived today. Nope, sorry! Game over! So, nearly 3 weeks after placing my order for an in-stock item, I have received nothing from Performance. The only thing they were fast about was charging my credit card!! I sent an email to their customer service department expressing my concern and received...nothing, nada, silence, zip. This, Performance, if you are paying attention (which we all know you are not) is how to lose a customer!!!

Jumps Like An Elephant
    Jan 2004

odd...

Weird! I order from performance all the time and I get my orders very fast. If you plan on ordering more than $200 of stuff through them I highly recommend you sign up for team performance, so you get upgraded to 2 day shipping. Also, you may want to try calling and doing a phone order so that you get to talk to a real person on the phone.

Their website seems to been adding some extra shipping charges to your order recently, so make sure to check, and if its wrong, put it in the notes and they'll usually fix the error before they ship, otherwise call and have them correct it.
    Last edited by SpuTTer; 08-11-2004 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I've had really great service with them. If they don't respond, just give them a call. They'll fix it quickly. Also, when in doubt about an item being in stock (or if it has heavy discounts or in a sale category), it might be best to follow up on your order with a phone call. They constantly say their website isn't 'real time' so it doesn't well reflect stock on hand. I've been really satisfied with them and almost exclusively buy from them and Nashbar (when Perf doesn't have a type of item).

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    So, I ordered a new pair of riding gloves from Performance on July 23, via their website. The gloves, just a simple pair of Fox Mojaves, were noted as being "in stock." I selected regular shipping, and received my order confirmation that day. Fast fcustomer service department expressing my concern and received...nothing, nada, silence, zip. This, Performance, if you are paying attention (which we all know you are not) is how to lose a customer!!!

mtbr member

Order

i ordered some items 3wks ago over web, just yesterday recd. last item. all was in stock.
    they seem to sit on orders until last minute. most places (nonbike) that ive ordered from process and ship order within 2 days, then depending on how you asked for items to be shipped the wait started. I had to push them to get my stuff out the door. my order sat for more than a week before they processed it. other than that all else went ok
    quickKarl

jrm
    mtbr member

happened to me too..

So, I ordered a new pair of riding gloves from Performance on July 23, via their website. The gloves, just a simple pair of Fox Mojaves, were noted as being "in stock." I selected regular shipping, and received my order confirmation that day. Fast forward 10 days later. No gloves. So, I check Performance's website for the order status. All it says is "in process." Not being sure exactly what that means, I call Performance. "What's the status of my order?" I ask. The answer: "Well...uh...we don't know. But you should have your order within 7 to 10 business days." "You don't know?" I ask. "No." The next day, I check the website again, and lo and behold my gloves were shipped on August 3rd. August 3rd? For an item listed as "in stock" when I ordered them on July 23? That's nearly two weeks just to process the order. So today, August 11, I check the website to see if I can track the gloves - I put in my order number and zip code and...nothing. "Order not found" is the response from the website. I think maybe that means the gloves arrived today. Nope, sorry! Game over! So, nearly 3 weeks after placing my order for an in-stock item, I have received nothing from Performance. The only thing they were fast about was charging my credit card!! I sent an email to their customer service department expressing my concern and received...nothing, nada, silence, zip. This, Performance, if you are paying attention (which we all know you are not) is how to lose a customer!!!
    Ordered something, never got a confirmation or shipped e-mail. i called um asking where the item was and they are we show that you havent bought from us since **/**/**. I'm like OK ..but i know i bought a item from you which the rep responded nope..sorry. Then two days later guess what i get..my item.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They've refunded my shipping after stunts like yours.
    But this week I ordered something on Saturday, shoulda left Monday.
    It's Thursday and I still have not received it. And yes, I am a member of Team Performance with 2-day shipping. I checked online: nothing!
    As for the shoes they told me were in stock in mid July and then in stock again in the beginning of August, they supposedly came in yesterday and will arrive in 7 to 10 days. Uh huh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

same here as DanK

Placed an order on Sunday, all in-stock items. It currently shows up on their order status page as "not processed" yet as of today.

Two major screw ups in the last 2 out of three orders I placed in the last month.

glenk

mtbr member

same here

Yeah....I always thought Performance and Nashbar were the better mail order/online bike companies. Guess I was wrong....at least with Performance.

Ordered $400 of instock items a week ago today and my order still hasn't shipped....even joined teamperformance to get quick shipping. They don't answer their emails, and when I called today they had no clue when it would be sent out. With the modern internet you get spoiled by great online retailers such as Amazon that ship orders within 24 hours.
    With performance all i get is emails telling me about their latest sale. Hard to buy from them again...there's no telling when you'll get your order.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glenk
    Placed an order on Sunday, all in-stock items. It currently shows up on their order status page as "not processed" yet as of today.

Two major screw ups in the last 2 out of three orders I placed in the last month.

glenk

How did you manage to check the order status today? I have been trying all day and the site seems to be down. I get that constantly with Performance and Nashbar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

order status link works for me, same bad news though

I do get failures with the order status page on occasion but today it seems to be fine from my IP.

glenk

formerly Gobike69

Performance is Lame

My story is exactly the same except I did recieve my order (after three weeks wait) and I got to argue with a phone rep over when my order was place as opposed to when they (Performance) processed it. I'll never use Poorformance again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

First Place for Worst Customer Service

I can't even count how many negative experiences I have had with Performancebike and Nashbar. The latest experience was that I ordered a set of pedals, which arrived heavily scratched. I returned it. A few days later, I ordered the pedals again and received THE EXACT SAME scratched set that I had returned to them. The refund for the first order by the way took 3 weeks.

banned

Lbs

Stop complaining and go buy from your Local Bike Shops!

I can't even count how many negative experiences I have had with Performancebike and Nashbar
    Two major screw ups in the last 2 out of three orders I placed in the last month
    Then why do you keep ordering from them. Doesn't make any sense to keep ordering from a company that screwed you once.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness_Dave
    Stop complaining and go buy from your Local Bike Shops!

Then why do you keep ordering from them. Doesn't make any sense to keep ordering from a company that screwed you once.
    I think Performance gets repeat customers because it's like getting kissed by the pretty girl in school, only to have her punch you in the nads every 4th kiss. Hurts, and you complain, but the good deals (kisses) are almost worth it (20% coupons on top of great sales).
    Speedgoat or JensonUSA or a few others are options.
    As for buying from the lbs, don't even get that thread rolling!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The Money Factor

"Then why do you keep ordering from them."

I am assuming that was a question - I keep ordering from them because I am on a budget and get many parts for as little as half the price at Nashbar etc. as compared to what I am paying at my local dealership. The guy at my local store is not that friendly, either, and seems to make good money as well (drives a new 350 Ford).

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by needcheap
    I keep ordering from them because I am on a budget and get many parts for as little as half the price at Nashbar etc. as compared to what I am paying at my local dealership.
    I understand the money factor.
    It's just that, I'm the kind of person(no patience) that takes my business elsewhere if i have problems with a order and same thing with attitude's from the LBS.
    There's plenty of other places out there.
    There's not to many places left in town where I can eat lunch, either. I hate attitudes/screw ups from store owners/employees and refuse to go back to these places to buy sandwichs/food.

Good luck on your next order!

mtbr member
    I ordered a bunch of stuff last Saturday. Hasn't arrived yet and no shipping info. I emailed customer service asking for a refund on the shipping costs.

In the past Performance has been good for low prices and very good return policy (will take back used stuff months later). But in the future I plan on giving most of my on-line business to Larry at Mountain High Cyclery: http://mtnhighcyclery.com

mtbr member

Consider Jenson

I always order from jenson because they have awesome customer service and typically ship the same day if the order is in by 3. They sometimes cost a little more than performance, but I found it is worth the extra money to know that you are getting what you ordered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    i've only dealt with Perf on the phone once, to find out where my $10 coupons were mailed to. i spelled out my main address to the penishead on the phone, and asked "is that my address in your file?" he said "Yes thats it". A week later, i find everything had been mailed to my other address at a different zip code. That bass turd had flat-out lied to me, instead of just saying "i dont know" or "the computer is down". After that incident, i will never call or web-order anything from them.

the service at the local Performance shop, however, is awesome.

mtbr member
    Just got off the phone with Performance Customer service. My order from 8/6 finally shipped! However to my surprise, it did not ship with the automatic upgrade for teamperformance members. Apparently, while the web site states there will be an "automatic" upgrade, this is incorrect. It is not automatic. You need to request 2 day shipping, and potentially get charged (which they will say they'll reverse).

I've had great luck with Pricepoint and jenson in the past. Will definitely be avoiding perf when I need something in the same month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dyg2001
    I ordered a bunch of stuff last Saturday. Hasn't arrived yet and no shipping info. I emailed customer service asking for a refund on the shipping costs.

In the past Performance has been good for low prices and very good return policy (will take back used stuff months later). But in the future I plan on giving most of my on-line business to Larry at Mountain High Cyclery: http://mtnhighcyclery.com
    Update:
    Got about half of my order. They sent it out FedEx Ground rather than Team Performance 2 Day. They also sent it out in 6 or 7 different boxes for some reason. The remainder of my order should arrive on Monday, 12 days later than it should have if it was shipped on time by the correct shipping method. I called and emailed a bunch of times. Each time I ws told something different, variations of "I don't know the shipping status of your order but you will probably receive it today or tomorrow". The customer service people are basically clueless. Its not that they are dumb but apparently their computer system sucks. I was actually able to access more information about my order on the Performance website than they were on their computers. My order status screen would tell me which items were in which box, all they could tell me was 3 boxes have been shipped, contents unknown. The good news is today a cusomer service manager finally called back and talked to my wife and said they would refund all shipping costs from the order.

Summary:
    Pluses: Decent prices if you consider Team Performance points, will price match (they matched Colorado Cyclist's $349.99 for a Manitou Skareb Platinum fork), coupons, awesome return policy (I have returned used items like a year later for a full refund), Customer Service manager will try to make things right if you complain enough about your F'd up order.

Minuses: Mediocre selection especially of high end stuff, unreliable shipping, people who answer the phone don't know dick about bikes, Customer Service can't tell you anything about the shipping status of your order that you don't already know, you're dealing with a big impersonal company rather than a cool bike shop owned by people who support the sport and actually ride.

mtbr member

Listen! Yea and Nay

Well, I recently had a debacle, and a great solution, and a confirmation of how screwed up they are at Performance headquarters.

--I went into my local Performance, the Sorrento Valley, Calif. store, on a Sunday afternoon to get a hitch rack for our car. They didn't have the 4-bike carrier I thought I wanted in stock, so the counter staff checked the other SD area stores..no dice: the "high end" Odyssey models (Thule) aren't in the stores. I needed the rack, and was leaving for Mammoth in 4 days, so I "red phoned it, invoked my Team 2-day, and had it set for delivery on Wednesday. My first mistake, totally mine, was ordering something I hadn't fondled.

--After I left, I became concerned, so I rolled down to another shop that carries Thule racks and had the same rack called an Odyssey at Performance (but for $80 more) and quickly determined my wife's Blur would NEVER fit on the rack, so I was screwed. I also quickly determined that NO "hanging" rack would fit the Blur, so I checked out the "platform racks" where you sit the bike in wheel trays and got the heck back on the road to Performance.

--I walked into Performance, told them I screwed up and needed to cancel a Red Phone Order. They said "no problem", because they'd just stock the rack in the store and give me my money back immediately. But there WAS a problem: I'd had it 2-dayed to my house, so we had to cancel with Performance back East so that I didn't get my money AND a rack on my doorstep. Back on the Red Phone, Customer Service said they cannot change an order once taken and we'd have to call on Monday morning. Even with the Store Manager on the line, talking to the supervisor, same deal.

--My LBS Performance gave me ALL my money back right then, told me they'd take care of calling Customer Service on Monday morning and that they still thought I'd get a $350 rack on my doorstep. They just asked that I bring it in, if it did still come. They also sold me a platform rack setup, also at a screaming deal, and got me out of there quickly.

Now, every cause of this inconvenience started with ME, and my shop had no culpability, but the manager went out of his way to make things right and get me set up with the least inconvenience to me possible.

P.S. When I got back from Mammoth, there was a rack on my doorstep (oh yes, they shipped it late and I would have been screwed by the East coast central office) and I took it back to my store, like a good guy.

mtbr member
    I can't comment on Performance's mail order competency but I won't shop their retail store in Tustin, CA again. Complete idiots employed there. Worse yet, the ones with half a brain are not empowered to pick up a telephone to try and sell a bike they advertised. Maybe my bad expericence was just an isolated incident, but based upon the blank, open-mouthed stares from the employees when a question was asked, I doubt it. The THC induced haze was too thick to penetrate.

The crazy thing is - I shop at the Supergo retail store and get phenomenal service from knowledgeable employees. Aren't they owned by Performance?

mtbr member

Team Performance Returns?

Does anyone know: If I applied Team Performance points to an order ,and I return that order, do I get all my points back and refunded the total that I paid?
    Saratoga Mountain Bike Association - www.saratogamtb.org

"Tri" sticker. Translation: "One Less Good Bike Handler."