Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    66

    No good Another Beyond Bikes Unhappy Customer (Seem to be a few!)

    I recently placed an order (my first) with Beyond Bikes and only after what seemed like unorthodox online ordering/shipping policies, I discovered what many others already seemed to know before me - these guys are a bunch of clowns. I understand that their policy on getting an order out is 2 - 5 days because of how they get their merchandise. Fine. After 7 days I got in touch only to hear that it would be several more days before they got the sale helmet in, but it would "definitely ship". Several hours later, I have a message that my order has been canceled because they apparently can't get any more Fox helmets in?

    Sure I'm unhappy, but my point of posting this wasn't so much to b*tch but rather to confirm what many others already know - Beyond Bikes shouldn't get a cent of our money until they can figure out how to do honest business. I'll stick with the etailers who do it right - there are plenty without Beyond Bikes! Good riddance BB!

  2. #2
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,936
    Did you order a 2009 helmet by chance? If their supplier is out of the older year helmets, obviously they can't sell anymore because they don't make that year anymore?

    Edit: The reason I ask is because Beyond did this to me once, and then offered me the next (new) years model at almost the same price which I accepted.
    Last edited by Jim311; 10-27-2009 at 12:45 PM.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    66
    Yes, it was a 2009 helmet which again, being reasonable, I can understand them running out of but there was no offer to get the 2010 or anything similar, even at a slight upcharge - they just said they cancelled my order. I even mentioned the possibility of getting the 2010 or another color 2009 instead with no luck. I just checked their website and they still show availability in my size in at least 3 other color options in the '09 helmet. I think that they priced it too low (since a couple of hours later, the price had jumped up about $30) and the bottom line is, I think they don't want to honor the original price. I know that retailers occasionally price something too low by accident but I followed an email ad they sent to me, added the item to the cart, did everything you'd normally do, then waited over a week only to hear they don't have the item. Most places offer a raincheck or some concession. Anyway, in the big picture, it's no huge deal but I've never had a problem with Blue Sky, Cambria, Price Point, etc. Beyond Bikes didn't exactly earn my trust. Others may have had luck with them - my point of posting originally (sure to vent a bit) is really to say to others that there are (I think) better options out there and to be careful ordering from BB. At best, it seems you'll end up waiting much longer for your order - if you get it at all.

  4. #4
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,936
    Agreed, if something is on backorder don't expect Beyond to give you a call and let you know, or even an email. If you want something urgently, don't buy from Beyond. If you want something and they have it cheap and you are willing to wait and deal with some hassle.. they are your retailer. Otherwise, Pricepoint and Jenson will never steer you wrong. I have had issues with Cambria and Blue Sky but nowhere near the level of trouble I've had with BB.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Agreed, if something is on backorder don't expect Beyond to give you a call and let you know, or even an email. If you want something urgently, don't buy from Beyond. If you want something and they have it cheap and you are willing to wait and deal with some hassle.. they are your retailer. Otherwise, Pricepoint and Jenson will never steer you wrong. I have had issues with Cambria and Blue Sky but nowhere near the level of trouble I've had with BB
    I agree with you if you need something quick pay a little extra and order elsewhere

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    153
    against my better judgement, i recently ordered a frame from beyond. the tipping point was the freight - $50 to australia is a bargain and i wasn't in a rush so i went for it. 10 days later, my order was still as it was when i originally placed it and my credit card hadn't even been processed yet. I figured that if they hadn't processed my card yet then they mustn't have even ordered the parts yet, let alone shipped them so i decided it wasn't worth the ongoing hassle and cancelled. Atleast the cancellation was quick and easy - they replied within 24hrs to confirm and it was done

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    749
    So this seems like it has some good lessons here for anyone thinking about ordering from Beyond Bikes. Don't be in a hurry, and be patient about how long it takes to process the order. 10 days isn't long enough!

    I recently ordered for the first time. I'd read about the problems, but decided to take a chance because the prices were just unreal. So I ordered some stuff I didn't need right away - and waited. I kept checking my order every once in a while - never a change. I was beginning to worry, but after a few weeks, everything arrived! I'd order fromt hem again - but only for something I didn't care about gettin any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by cha_cha_
    against my better judgement, i recently ordered a frame from beyond. the tipping point was the freight - $50 to australia is a bargain and i wasn't in a rush so i went for it. 10 days later, my order was still as it was when i originally placed it and my credit card hadn't even been processed yet. I figured that if they hadn't processed my card yet then they mustn't have even ordered the parts yet, let alone shipped them so i decided it wasn't worth the ongoing hassle and cancelled. Atleast the cancellation was quick and easy - they replied within 24hrs to confirm and it was done

  8. #8
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,996
    Long wait times for shipping etc. are usually a sign of cash flow problems in my experience .

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    38
    the only reason i buy from BB is because they are 2 mins from my work. but it's true, like my friend says, they are like the fry's of mtn biking stores. you better know what you want because you're not gonna get any help.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Long wait times for shipping etc. are usually a sign of cash flow problems in my experience .
    Or they are still ordering it from their supplier, or both.

  11. #11
    How steep is it?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    6
    BB is bad I had the ordered the same fox helmet waited a week then called was told it would be 4-5 more days then received a message they canceled my order. Item is still for sale on the web site two weeks later. Will never order from them again.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    66
    Hey flydrifter - that's EXACTLY what happened to me! What you mentioned about the item still being for sale is what I'm so mad about. BB - if you don't have it, take it off of the site - bait 'n switch isn't a great policy to have. I've never had an order "canceled" before - just doesn't add up! (Yes, mine was for the Fox Flux helmet - they still show my size too).


  13. #13
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,034
    Simple solution (which I use with BlueSky also b/c their "in stock" stuff often isn't) is to call before ordering. Just ask them if they have what you want on hand. If not be prepared to wait or just order from someone else.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Agreed, if something is on backorder don't expect Beyond to give you a call and let you know, or even an email. If you want something urgently, don't buy from Beyond. If you want something and they have it cheap and you are willing to wait and deal with some hassle.. they are your retailer. Otherwise, Pricepoint and Jenson will never steer you wrong. I have had issues with Cambria and Blue Sky but nowhere near the level of trouble I've had with BB.
    I think you hit the nail on the head.

    Pretty much like my experiences. All good from Pricepoint and Jenson. Had no trouble with a couple orders from Bluesky. Cambria has been good except once when they kept telling me my pedals were on the way for 2 weeks, but I ordered a wheelset last Sunday and got it Wednesday.

    I have had a couple issues with Beyond Bikes. I heard my girlfriend calling them about something she ordered and heard a very loud "You're a real peach Jeremy!!" I knew it was not good.

    I still have purchased a few things from them, because sometimes you can get some killer deals when they have those "price codes" you punch in. I got some shoes that were running $90 and used the code and they went to $38. Gonga deal. But don't be in a hurry, because their service can be slow and may suck.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2

    What the??

    I ordered two manitou shock bushings three weeks ago now from Beyond Bikes and i still don't have them. They would fit in a standard letter envelope and ship for .75 cents. What the?? I did some research on these guys. Apparently they drop ship everything. Meaning they don't have any of the items "in stock" themselves, they put in an order to the manufacturer or distributor as you put in yours. So in other words, they don't know if they have it or not. I manage a bike shop and if i did business this way i wouldn't have a job anymore. Not cool!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Simple solution (which I use with BlueSky also b/c their "in stock" stuff often isn't) is to call before ordering. Just ask them if they have what you want on hand. If not be prepared to wait or just order from someone else.
    I agree with you, but if BB has to order most of their stock from their distributors/vendors as orders come in (based on their business model), there's already a high probability they don't keep stock on hand. Advertising that you have the item (actually in stock or not), telling the customer that "it will definitely ship in the next 3 days" (in my personal case), then canceling the order with no other option to the customer seems like a bad way to do business. Once you cancel my order because you say you can no longer get the item, then bloody well take the item off of you website! The item I ordered was still showing availability a week later. Thankfully, for BB there are VERY patient customers willing to deal with their nonsense in order to save money - I'm just not one of them.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2
    For sure. They canceled a part of my order too. A WEEK LATER! I'm with you man. It's bogus. I solved my problem by getting setup direct with the Hayes group which distributes Manitou etc.. But i didn't really want to go through the hassle just to get two shock bushings. Anyway, if you or anybody else reads this and needs something, contact me and i will give you the best price i can on whatever you need. I manage Mojo Cycling in Bentonville, AR. and i will help if i can. www.mojocycling.com. I'm Jason.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

  18. #18
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,996
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngt1
    For sure. They canceled a part of my order too. A WEEK LATER! I'm with you man. It's bogus. I solved my problem by getting setup direct with the Hayes group which distributes Manitou etc.. But i didn't really want to go through the hassle just to get two shock bushings. Anyway, if you or anybody else reads this and needs something, contact me and i will give you the best price i can on whatever you need. I manage Mojo Cycling in Bentonville, AR. and i will help if i can. www.mojocycling.com. I'm Jason.

    2 Posts ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    16
    BIKEMAN.COM is the best!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    66
    Agreed - bikeman has a really cool selection of single speed, cross and 29er stuff and though I've only ordered a couple of times, no problems!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •