Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! another "BEWARE COMPETETIVE CYCLIST" post

The last time I dealt with this company was about 5 years ago. It was not a good experience. So I should have known better, right... But the price on the fork was excellent, and it was the exact one I want, so I went with it.

I'm building my first new bike in 6 years, and its THE bike I've been drooling over (Pivot Mach 4) - if you're reading this, you know the excitement a new bike brings, especially at this level.

My life involves a lot of travel with work, so I have to really plan/schedule carefully, ala "I'll be home 4 days here, then gone ten..."

So I purchased a fork and star nut from Competitive Cyclist on May 20. It was listed as "in stock" with a delivery date of May 24-26. Perfect, I'll be home then.

On May 24 a tiny little box arrives with ONLY the star nut inside. No fork, no note, no explanation.

So I call Competitive Cyclist, and after giving the order number, hear a bunch of "oh, ah, uhm, ah, hmm, ah...." Verbal fumbling. We all know what that usually means . This goes on for several minutes, and as it does, the fumbling becomes more complex: "oh, ah... I, ah... well, ah... gimme a minute". I'm put on hold. FINALLY I get some overly defensive and seemingly insecure line about how someone "sent you an email informing you of the forks status and that it must have been sent to you junk-mail folder, bla bla bla" - All BEFORE I even had a chance to mention weather or not I received this email (I own the mail server - I see EVERYTHING that comes in and there was nothing there, btw ).

"Apparently", I'm told, "Fox screwed up (quote) and sent us only forks with cut steer tubes". This is a 2012 RLC Kashima... It's a 2012... They've been in your stock for over a year and you're JUST NOW noticing that "Fox screwed up and sent only cut steer tubes"???

So I inquire as to the length the steer tubes were cut to, and... ... ... more fumbly BS... "Can you call back and talk to ***"

I call back, but *** is not available. "But I can help you", I'm told by another CS rep. GREAT! "This is my order number, and this is what I need to know", I replied. Once again, the CS rep spirals into a nosedive of insecurity, fumbling, typing away, putting me on hold, fumbling, typing...

THIRD phone call !!! !!! I'm told "the fork is on back order, and I just have to wait a bit". I asked for clarification on how long is a bit, and was told "not sure". I asked, specifically "one week, two, a month" and was told (quote) "Oh no, not a month! Call back in a couple days and we'll have a better idea."

So yesterday, in a quiet moment (my mind has been focused intensely on some very serious matters) it hit me like a ton of bricks!!! A 2012 Fox fork on back-order half way through 2013???

Obviously I called... May 30th. 10 days after the order was placed. The guy I spoke with started to get insecure but I just told him that I know I've been lied to and to just be straight with me.

"The order for the fork was cancelled on the 20th because we don't have them"

Thanks a lot a$$holes!!! Ten days of yanking my chain!

Ya'll earned yourselves as much negative media that I can generate, starting with BBB

squish, squish in da fish
    Sorry to hear your unfortunate bout of "luck." two things strike me funny, one this is your second rodeo here and yes you should've known better and lastly the BBB is a crock and it will get you nothing except more venting. Companies can and do buy their grade so it's all a racket. Hopefully you get things sorted. I'd explain to your bank and get your money back. I've done that before, but my financial institution is a credit union and they usually fight a lil more for the customer

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    competitive cyclist is a top notch company. Unfortunate for your experience, but not the norm.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think that competitive cyclist is a branch of backcountry.com (chainlove, steepandcheap, etc). Have bought a LOT of stuff from them dating back nearly 10 years and they have always been excellent. Especially customer service. Sorry you had a bad experience, but I second eonicks and wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Drama

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

I've had good luck with Competitive Cyclist

Over the last five years I have ordered numerous items from Competitive Cyclist. I have ordered everything from a Santa Cruz Blur LTc, Fox TALAS, King Headset, Reverb post, IceTech Rotors, shoes, shirts, etc. etc. I don't work for Comptetitve, but I often joke to my friends that they are my Local Bike Shop (LBS) even though I am in CA and they are in Utah. They have always treated me great. They usualy match other online competitor's prices, and their no questions asked return policy is awesome, though I imagine some take advantage of it so it will probably end sometime. I have to say I have received as good a service as I get from my local brick and mortar bike shop where I have been friends with the owner and manager for over twenty years.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: another "BEWARE COMPETETIVE CYCLIST" post

Well, you got your money back i take it, of all the ways to get screwed this doesn't seem like a big deal.

I've had this issue on several other sites: ordered, often at great price, then find out the price, or qty in stock was a mistake and they don't actually have it. These companies probably have 50,000 products and prices on the site, managing that volume is hard and humans make mistakes.

Sent from your phone, which i hacked into
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member

another "BEWARE COMPETETIVE CYCLIST" post

All this means to me is that every business has at least a few unhappy customers. Even CC is bound to screw something up some time.

I've bought quite a bit of gear from CC, Chainlove, Backcountry, and Steepandcheap. I've never once had a less than amazing experience with them. They go out of their way to help and they stand by their return policy. They've earned my business, even beyond a screw up like this happening to me.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

The White Jeff W

Re: another "BEWARE COMPETETIVE CYCLIST" post

They sent the star nut Dont know why that strikes me as funny, but it does
    No moss...

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Sorry to hear that. I usually like CC. 2 frames, 4 forks, odds n ends. One headset was back ordered, and a set of tires was wrong, but they paid me back. I did not get too bummed, as most of their items are deep discounts. I do find that I need to ask them to check stock before I pay. With Most companies, I can skip that. But I like CC.
    Last edited by hoolie; 06-01-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Funny, I have not been to their website for awhile, now you reminded me. I am going to CC and shoppin'.

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Cc rocks hard! Never nada bad problem with them. Yes, backcountry owns them, and they rock too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona View Post

Ya'll earned yourselves as much negative media that I can generate, starting with BBB
    Did you at least return the star nut to them?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

another "BEWARE COMPETETIVE CYCLIST" post

They are terrible. I ordered my sons Santa Cruz Nickel from them on closeout for $2000 and after waiting a week they told me the problematic Easton XC70 wheels it was supposed to come with were out of stock. They then upgraded the wheels to Mavic Crossmaxs for $200. Then the fox fork had a problem so they sent a replacement two day mail at no charge and offered to pay for me to have a shop swap it.

Putting the sarcasm aside, they were great to deal with and I would buy again from them in a heartbeat.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

bog
    mtbr member
    It is funny!!! I like CC but sending only a star nut when a fork and star nut have been ordered tells you that they need to pay better attention to the orders. It's like only sending cleats when a customer orders shoes and cleats. I can understand only sending a fork or shoes without a star nut or cleats but not the other way around unless the customer has been contacted and has approved the shipment.
    SC Tallboy C : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9070

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sounds like they are better for individual parts and not full bikes with specific equipment chosen.

I certainly have ordered from Backcountry and a number of their subsidiaries over the past 10 years with only good results. In fact, they've even credited me $$ for sales that started between the time I've ordered and the time I've received goods.

Now, I don't think they'd donate a kidney like newenough.com did (j/k).

mtbr member
    Sorry you had issues.

CC could be the best online company I've ever dealt with. I ordered a frame and fork from them. After I bought the fork, it went on sale for $175 less on Chainlove (a sister site) and they allowed me to swap for the lower price.

Their Live Chat help is fantastic. When the fork arrived, it was missing the little guide clamp for the brake hose. I got on Live Chat and they had the clamp in the mail the next day.

I also noticed a slight ding on the seatpost binder on the frame. I took a pic, got on live chat, and showed the pic to the tech to ensure it wasn't a safety problem. He ensured me that it wasn't but still sent another clamp right away.

I've had nothing but great service from these guys.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    CC is great
    but for the past day, their site has been super slow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eonicks View Post
    competitive cyclist is a top notch company. Unfortunate for your experience, but not the norm.
    Complaint threads are becoming more common (on other forums) since they were bought out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They were blowing out XTR goodies a few years back and i jumped on nearly a full XTR group for crazy prices and received everything in good time and in perfect shape.

I keep checking their site regularly for more nutball sales!
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Although I haven't ordered anything from them lately, the customer service in the live chat was great. Asked them a tech question regarding servicing a Shimano XTR wheelset and got a very prompt response.

Ordered 2 pairs of Mavic Crossrides wheelsets a couple years back and got it without incident. Still recommended in my books.

mtbr member
    I like the "*another* beware of competitive cyclist post" like we see threads about them all the time..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Oh the horror of the inconvenience.....
    It must have been just terrible.
    You got yourself some real First World problems.....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Because of this thread I went to their website to check them out. The OP ain't kidding, what a bunch of yahoos. Their "SALE" prices are higher than most other stores RETAIL prices.

Components Sale - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well if you want a steal try this Asso Heritage outfit.

It's roadie stuff but a giveaway price.Considering the original retail price.
    I ordered the COOP jersey.
    But the order was kind of squirrely.
    I ordered Sunday.Monday I got an email from CC saying the order was canceled.
    I called and someone put me on hold and came back with the idea someone pushed in the wrong numbers on the order and they cancelled the order.
    Two days later the jersey showed up and my credit card was debited the correct amount......Just really weird
    Assos Heritage Pack - Competitive Cyclist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast