mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Ahhh, the wonders of technology

I really get a kick out of modern technology.

I ordered the 44.95 frame this morning at nashbar.com. This afternoon I realized that I had totally spaced it and ordered the wrong size (I was trying to figure out how much shipping was going to be). So I just called nashbar, told them my predicament and was told that the order hasn't processed yet. "Oh good" I think, now someone just needs to notify the order processing people and modify the order before it goes down to packaging.

Nope. Silly me, that's just not how it works. You see, web orders are processed automatically (I'm being told). Once you hit the submit button, no changes can be made. However, in my simple mind, that still doesn't pose a problem, though. We could just flag the order somehow and place it on pending status or perhaps just cancel it altogether. I really don't mind waiting a few more days to get the correct part.

Nope, that's not possible either. No flagging, canceling, modifying of orders is possible until it's downloaded. Problem is that once it's downloaded it's instantaneously processed (and shipped appearently).

So we can fly a man to the moon but we can't change or cancel an order than hasn't even been processed yet.

Anywho, I find this all very ironic because nashbar takes so dang long to ship their merchandise. You'd think there would be plenty of oppurtunities to change or stop the order.

So I thought I'd just vent to you all. The person I've talked to on the phone says I might get lucky if I call them while the web orders are being downloaded and then they might be able to stop the order.

I think I'll try cancelling the order with my credit card, too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

nashbar problems

I also had a pretty negative experience with Nashbar - ordered a part online, followed up after a week only to learn that the part was not in stock and was no longer carried. Noone e-mailed / called to tell me that my order was not coming, even though I had a confirmation that the order was accepted.

When I called, I was told that Nashbar's website is not real-time and items that are listed may not be available. Despite my complaints and requests to honor the price on a similar (though more expensive) part, all they offered was 10% off (which was available with an on-line coupon anyway). Not a good way to retain customers, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

phew!

I want you all to know that I just got off the phone with Nashbar.com and they have successfully modified my order with the correct size frame.

Meltdown averted.

I have to wonder, too, if the person that I talked to before, which prompted the long diatribe of the first post, was, perhaps, a bit misinformed on the process. The person that I talked to just now fixed my little problem with minimal effort.

Makes you wonder. At any rate, I'll have to make sure I don't make any mistakes in the future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I placed an order on a Friday night and they didn't ship it out till Monday. They didn't even offer me any additional discounts. How dare they!