mtbr member
    Jan 2009

advise on REYNOLDS Carbon C mtn wheelset

I really am itching to try a carbon wheelset....Jenson has the reynolds at half price - $649.00

Push me over the edge, or any from the edge......LC(thx)

mtbr member
    I have reynolds assault on my road bike and LOVE them. Not sure if that helps.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by twenty6black
    I really am itching to try a carbon wheelset....Jenson has the reynolds at half price - $649.00

Push me over the edge, or any from the edge......LC(thx)
    I have to ask why? I understand going to carbon if it provides a boost in strength or weight reduction, but these are quoted at 1450 grams. You can build a lot lighter wheelset than that using Stans rims.

Also, how are the hubs? I have a set of Reynolds rims on my road bike and they are of quality, but no idea how their hubs hold up under the rigors of mountain biking.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    do you really want to be riding on a wheel made by a company that makes primarily aluminum foil??? sounds flexy...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Reynold's uses DT Swiss hubs with their labels.
    Truffle Shuffle

Hack Racer
    I would argue that reynolds is the leader in carbon fibre rims for bicycles. They are the first to successfully make a carbon clincher reliable for road applications. The DV46C wheelset has been ridden by people for many years. I myself have a pair of DV46C circa 2007 and have more than 10,000 kms on them. I would agree that carbon clincher rims for extended braking on mountain decents using rim brakes for road are not a good idea. But are perfectly fine for all other use. For MTB applications where there is no worry of overheating rims due to rim brakes, I would say go for it.

Reynolds has an excellent crash replacement offering.

Also to the poster who said carbon rims are flexier than aluminum. You have it all wrong. Carbon rims are structurally stronger than aluminum rims. On average if you look at carbon rims versus aluminum rims you will see that carbon rims when not laced up right out of the box are truer, straighter, and perfectly round compared to a high end aluminum rim.