mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Advice from you guys needed

Here is my dilema: I have bent/dinged all the rims that have gone on the rear wheel of my hard tail (6 and counting) the past 4 or 5 years (mainly due to commuting and bunnyhopping from street to curbs). I have a spare wheelset left which is disc brake only.

Do I buy a deore tubeless wheelset (vbrake only) from nashbar for 23% off which is about 100.00 or do I buy avids bb5, cables and adaptors and slap them on the hardtail which would total about 100.00. I dont need disc for my hardtail, but I do need something in the back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have been riding my bikes for many years on trails with lots of 2-3 foot drops and have never had my wheels dinged to the point they needed to be replaced. It seems like you must be doing something wrong to destroy that many wheels in that amount of time while commuting, maybe you are running with crazy low air pressure?

As far what to do it seems like you may as well buy the new wheels, that way you still have your spare set of wheels that you could use or sell. h

Another option would be buy a new rim and have the wheel re-built which would probably cost around the same and you could give your LBS some business.

Quote Originally Posted by micky
    Here is my dilema: I have bent/dinged all the rims that have gone on the rear wheel of my hard tail (6 and counting) the past 4 or 5 years (mainly due to commuting and bunnyhopping from street to curbs). I have a spare wheelset left which is disc brake only.

Do I buy a deore tubeless wheelset (vbrake only) from nashbar for 23% off which is about 100.00 or do I buy avids bb5, cables and adaptors and slap them on the hardtail which would total about 100.00. I dont need disc for my hardtail, but I do need something in the back.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I dont think I do anything crazy

For the most part when it comes to jumping anything more than 2-3 feet, I am a wimp.

Now when I commute, do try to keep it a little interesting, I jump of curbs (6" - 12" high), I like to bunnyhop from the street to the sidewalk or over other things such as logs on the trails, which is where I have dinged my rim brake wheels. I know how to bunnyhop, but I am not always 100% accurate either. You may be right about the pressures for commuting, I like around 35-40lbs on 2.1 michelins on the trails but maybe it should be bumped up to 50+lbs for commuting..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas
    I have been riding my bikes for many years on trails with lots of 2-3 foot drops and have never had my wheels dinged to the point they needed to be replaced. It seems like you must be doing something wrong to destroy that many wheels in that amount of time while commuting, maybe you are running with crazy low air pressure?

As far what to do it seems like you may as well buy the new wheels, that way you still have your spare set of wheels that you could use or sell. h

Another option would be buy a new rim and have the wheel re-built which would probably cost around the same and you could give your LBS some business.

Keep in mind that he said he's bent them on curbs. I've done it before. In fact, that's the only way I've really damaged a wheel. You just don't come across hard, sharp terrain like curbs out in the trails too often.

My $.02 is to go with discs. You'll love 'em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have disc on one of my bikes

I like discs too. But I do think they are not needed on a single speed. A full suspension allows you to go much faster which needs more breaking power, and I am more apt to use it on technical trails than the nontechnical trails, which is where I use my single speed. I know some people use ss everywhere, but I am not one of those people, I want it to throw life to the more mellow trails that I sometimes ride.

But, I am still undecided on a a new rim break rear wheel or avid break set.