Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

700c disc brake wheel

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Stockli Boy 
#1 ·
Looking for a 700c disc brake rear wheel with good hub. I have a '13 Cdale Bad Boy and want to get a better rear wheel. Any ideas? Thanks

#7 ·
Guess I worded it wrong. I know a 29er will work. What I am looking for is a wheel where the rim is an aero style (I think that's what its called) at 30mm in size with no breaking surface. In this case a MTB rim wouldn't work. I need to be able to run a 28mm tire on it.
If a new rim has a broken surface you should return it.

About your only option is a Velocity Deep V with a powdercoat finish. Lots of color/pattern choices.

You can easily run a 28mm tire on a 24mm wide (outside) rim. I do it often.

#6 ·
hed has a rim and wheelset offereing that are 24mm deep (24.5 for the new + model). hed ardennes is their complete wheel, but i don't think they come without a braking surface, even when offered with a disc hub. if you want to build, hed belgium rims are offered without a braking surface. the original c2 is 23mm external (~18-19 internal), the plus is 25mm external (~20-21 internal). Both widths will fit your 28c tire just fine.

easton makes a set of disc cx wheels without a braking surface, but the rim depth is still only 24.5mm. it's internal width is 17.5mm. ea90 xd.

there's been a lot of interest in the c2 and c2+ offerings by hed. the wider profile is changing the tire profile, permitting riders to use lower pressures with better performance in speed, handling, and comfort.

i think we'll see more offerings in the near future with the demand in the 'gravel grinder' market.

#9 ·
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Bicycle part

I used Light-Bicycle 50mm deep carbon rims and laced them to American Classic disc hubs for my road bike. One thing to check if using 29er rims is the width (will they fit in your road or 'cross frame) and max pressure. Some MTB rims are 60 PSI max (although aluminum rims generally don't have an issue, but it's worth checking). I replaced my DTRR1.1 rims with WTB Laser Disc Lite disc hubs and saved 9oz, even with 9mm and 10mm thru-axles. I built a carbon-rim disc 700c road wheelset for about $700 or so. There's a 200+ page discussion on the 29er forum about the rims, the upshot is that they are riding well for enduro, so my guess is road and cross should be fine.

#10 ·
View attachment 866285

I used Light-Bicycle 50mm deep carbon rims and laced them to American Classic disc hubs for my road bike. One thing to check if using 29er rims is the width (will they fit in your road or 'cross frame) and max pressure. Some MTB rims are 60 PSI max (although aluminum rims generally don't have an issue, but it's worth checking). I replaced my DTRR1.1 rims with WTB Laser Disc Lite disc hubs and saved 9oz, even with 9mm and 10mm thru-axles. I built a carbon-rim disc 700c road wheelset for about $700 or so. There's a 200+ page discussion on the 29er forum about the rims, the upshot is that they are riding well for enduro, so my guess is road and cross should be fine.
I see a brake track.

#13 ·
I did find the Velocity site and the deep V was the only rim I could find that was similar to what I have. I was just hoping that now the road disc brake option was out there would be some choices in pre made wheels I could choose from. The stock rear hub is very draggy but the Lefty front is super smooth. Maybe at this point my only option is to get my current rear wheel laced with a new hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.