Is not amused

661 Flight SPD Shoes w/ Shimano XTR M980 Race Pedals

About to try out clipless, just wondering if anyone has tried this shoe and how does it fit? I usually wear a size ten with a wide foot. Also how are these pedals? Blueskycycling has them for a combo for 204$ Is that a good deal or no? Just kind of worried about going clipless due to a torn acl and Shimano pedals have been said to have a lot of degree of adjustability. Side note: I tried a pair of specialized comp shoes on in size 10 and they where crushing my toes.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I can't comment on the shoes or those specific pedals, but I too have a torn acl and external meniscus in my right knee. I have a set of Shimano M520 on one of my bikes and older M747 on the other.
    Both have restricted freedom of play, just enough to allow for your feet to wiggle a bit rotation-wise when locked in. Once you get confortable with clipless pedals, you'll have a hard time going back to platforms.
    Even though the 747 are a 15 year old model, (they no longer make them) I like them the best. I think you'll enjoy your xtr pedals very much.
    Regarding your weak knee, you can adjust the tension at which your foot is released, much like ski bindings. But I think it is better to keep the tensions on both pedals close to the same as you don't want your "weak" side to release accidentally in a technical climb for instance.
    The price you mention seems reasonable for a combo as the pedals can be found in the $200+ range. That sounds like a deal to me. The only downside I can see is if the shoes don't fit, you'll have a hell of a time wearing them and you'll be looking for another pair soon enough if that is the case. You just have to make sure you are confortable in them.

Goodluck

Is not amused
    Thank you for the advice and information as well as the part about the knee. As for the shoes, I have good news about that. After going to every LBS near me to no avail nothing fit. So I went online and checked out some shimano stuff. Well, long story short I gave eastern mountain sports a call which I didn't even know they stocked that type of item and they had the pair I was looking for (Shimano SH-M161G). Went there tried them on and they fit perfect. It did cost more but the headache in the end was far less. Now i'm just waiting on the pedals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You'll like the spd's . I just upped to the XTR trail versions a couple weeks ago. I too have just gotten comfy on clipless and now see no need to go back to flats unless i am riding some serious techy stuff

Is not amused
    I was going to get the race xtr but ended up getting the trail version too. Glad you like them. Monday can not come soon enough. That's when there arriving.