nocturnal oblivion

5.10 Freeriders for $62

Free shipping out of Utah, all sizes at the moment.
    Five Ten FreeRider Bike Shoe - Men's :: CampSaver.com
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Got one in size 10 - thanks man.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

Let's Ride!
    No size 12 :-(

Dirt Huffer
    26" for life!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Does anyone wear DC shoes? how does the sizing compare from DC to these? I really want to try these but dont want to order the wrong size
    saweet

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
    Stop riding that bike until you get some.

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27 View Post
    Does anyone wear DC shoes? how does the sizing compare from DC to these? I really want to try these but dont want to order the wrong size
    I've never ordered from campsaver but it looks like they have a 'fit guarantee' of 180 days.
    As for the sizing, I'm usually a 9.5 and sometimes a size 10. The size 10 five tens fit me.
    So for what it's worth they're fairly true to size, but don't be afraid to order up a half size.

Up up and away!
    Damn, missed this one. No size 10 anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the link I got the last pair of 11.5 can't wait to try them out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cconrocks View Post
    Thanks for the link I got the last pair of 11.5 can't wait to try them out.
    You stole them from me!! lol

Let's Ride!
    I went 13 even though I wear 12 or 12.5 ..... hoping it'll be fine, I'm sure it will............ for the price!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They are also on sale at Competitive Cyclist

2012 Five Ten Freerider Shoe - Men's - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Five Ten Freerider Shoe - Men's | .com is currently same price as above post.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Just an FYI, earlier today Campsaver.com emailed me that they couldn't fulfill order of my size 10 freeriders after checking their warehouse. I was one of the first to jump on this deal too since the OP posted. After a few emails back and fourth, they made it right by selling & shipping me the size 10 of the 5.10 Chase shoes at the same price despite that size not being on sale.

I know the Chase wont be as stiff as the freeriders but I would imagine them being a little lighter and less bulky, and certainly a better color. Those white free riders would probably look like a mess after one ride. I'll report back any differences I notice between the Chase and a pair of Freeriders i already own.
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That sucks they did not have yours in stock but at least they matched the price for another shoe. I guess I got lucky I ordered the last pair they said they had and recieved them yesterday.

nocturnal oblivion
    Two rides on mine now. A lot stiffer sole than my old freeriders though that may just be break in.
    Give us a review of the Chases KVW.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    Two rides on mine now. A lot stiffer sole than my old freeriders though that may just be break in.
    Give us a review of the Chases KVW.

Lookie what just came in.

So... i'm going to do a quick comparison to my Freeriders (which are still relatively new, under 10 rides old).

Fit: True to size. I wear a size 10 in freeriders and these are no different as far as length. No toes touching the front of the shoe or anything like that. HOWEVER, they are quite a bit more narrow and snug. I would imagine it could be an issue with someone who has abnormally wide feet. The shoe fits far more glove-like but that make sense since it's primarily a "parkour" shoe.

Weight: quite a bit lighter. I'd say it's about 2/3s the weight of the freeriders but I can throw them on a parkscale to give you a true weight comparison and post them a little later.

Grip: Grips the pedals as well as the free riders as far as I'm concerned. Same "Stealth" rubber so that make sense. Although the design of the tread would lead me to believe threaded pins could do more damage to it than the design of freeriders. Take a look at them side by side on the net and you'll probably see what i mean. Time will tell though.

Stiffness: Way more flexibility. These shoes are much more normal tennis shoe feeling than Freeriders. Freeriders feel like they hardly bend at all so when you walk, it's like your foot is slapping the ground as you take a step forward. These roll like normal shoes. I know this means you may feel more fatique with smaller pedals but I haven't experienced any of that yet (mg1s) although I haven't done any enduro rides yet.

Aesthetics: This is pretty subjective but I'm going to say they are decent to awkward looking shoe. Some angles they look great (I think the pic above is one of their better angles) but at other angles, it sort of looks like a wanna-be stylish, swede bowling shoe. Maybe they'll grow on me with time but I'm going to say the freeriders look quite a bit better.

Overall I kind of like that I have this lighter more flexible normal shoe alternative to my freeriders. I think they make a great alternative to the hotter days. Also since it fits like a glove and feels more running-shoe like, you definitely gain back some dexterity that would normally be lost on the freeriders when trekking by foot - great for those adventurous hike and bike sort of adventures!