mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 3/8'' Click Torque Wrench (0-80 ft.lb) $7.50

Home mechanics rejoice! Now there's no excuse for you not to have a torque wrench. It's not as nice as a Snap On or Craftsman, but it's a start. $7.49 + shipping (around $7).

3/8'' DRIVE, CLICKER TORQUE WRENCH

Click-stop type, accurate within +/- 4%. Heavy duty cam & pawl mechanism.
    * Drive: 3/8''
    * Torque range: 0 to 80 ft. lbs.
    * Length: 14-3/4''
    * Weight: 2 lbs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...itemnumber=807

No, that's not phonetic
    Thomson stems are 5.5 n*m (iirc) which is about 4 ft*lb or 49 in*lb. Turner pivots range from 4.5 to 23 n*m which is 3.3 to 17 ft*lb.

That wrench is a little beefy, but should work if the low end is sensitive enough...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

those are Rollercams...
    Might be overkill for bicycle applications, most if not all torque specifications on bikes is in inch/pounds not foot pounds.

Not a bad deal for the occasional torque needs around the home or car though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

This one is 20 to 200 inch-pounds.

From Sears I bought the Craftsman metric socket set for about $25. This one is 20 to 200 inch-pounds.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2696
    ITEM 2696-3VGA $28.99

1/4'' SQUARE DRIVE TORQUE WRENCH

Click-stop type accurate within +/- 4%. Heavy duty cam & pawl mechanism. Reversible. Includes carrying case.
    * Drive: 1/4''
    * Torque range: 20 to 200 in. lbs.
    * Length: 10''
    * Weight: 1 lb.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy

That wrench is a little beefy, but should work if the low end is sensitive enough...
    - Its not.

I work part time at my companies calibration lab and it would be very unique if a torque wrench at any price much less one for $7 with a torque window as large as that is accurate
    at very low or very high end of the range. Good for the shop though!

Rob Munro
    Quote Originally Posted by WolverineGator
    From Sears I bought the Craftsman metric socket set for about $25. This one is 20 to 200 inch-pounds.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2696
    ITEM 2696-3VGA $28.99

1/4'' SQUARE DRIVE TORQUE WRENCH

Click-stop type accurate within +/- 4%. Heavy duty cam & pawl mechanism. Reversible. Includes carrying case.
    * Drive: 1/4''
    * Torque range: 20 to 200 in. lbs.
    * Length: 10''
    * Weight: 1 lb.
    be careful with the Harbor Freight stuff...it's all Made in China. I know people who've had success with some of their tools, but the general consensus and my attitude, is that you spend extra for quality tools. especially with specialty tools like a torque wrench, you'll want to have the harbor freight version calibrated almost every time you use it. don't take the accuracy for granted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Get a Craftsman when they go on sale

Join the Craftsman club for an additional 10%. I bought one for less than $60. Don't forget that great warranty!

My Dad bought a Craftsman shovel sometime in the early 60s. I broke it about 5 years ago. Walked in with it and walked out with a fiberglass handled shovel about 10 minutes later. You can't beat that.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobart
    Join the Craftsman club for an additional 10%. I bought one for less than $60. Don't forget that great warranty!
    Next time you're in Sears ask them about the warranty and torque wrenches. They told me they weren't covered as over time, all torque wrenches need to re-calibrated. People would bring them in claiming they were broken (and walk out with a new one), to save having to pay to get them re-calibrated. They nipped that in the bud buy excluding coverage (same for their power-tools).

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Cassette lockring/bottom bracket torque ranges are perfect for this type of wrench. And they're way too much for a typical 1/4" torque wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Might be overkill for bicycle applications, most if not all torque specifications on bikes is in inch/pounds not foot pounds.

Not a bad deal for the occasional torque needs around the home or car though.

L1MEY
    I'm always wary of cheap tools... it's better to buy something used but with a name you recognise than to buy something new and cheap. You can get a deal on eBay if you're patient.

- Jen.

\|/ What 60 looks like
    Caution- Extreme Rant Below

Well I would like to weigh in here about how I have managed to break two Sears Craftsman �Microtork� torque wrenches in the last two years. The flaw in these wrenches seems to be in the black plastic ring that locks the setting in place. This ring cracks resulting in your being unable to lock your setting. But, it doesn�t stop there. A short time later the handle that sets the torque values will begin to spin like a top resulting in no setting at all. When my first wrench broke its locking ring I was informed by my local Sears service center that they would send it in to be repaired but it would cost $45 as it was out of warranty. I was plenty POed when I left and just put a zip tie around the locking ring to hold it so that I could lock it. Then, about a month later, I was using it again and as I was turning the handle it went �SNAP!� and would spin like a top. I immediately went to Sears ready to cram that thing up the rear of the first person I saw wearing a red Sears shirt (can you tell I was upset?). I raised such a stink that they quickly gave me a new one with no hassle.

Now, these things are warranted for ONE YEAR and according to the receipt I got I have had this one for not quite two years and IT�S HAPPENING AGAIN!

I just got a crude clicker from Harbor Freight and though it�s not as accurate as the Sears, if it breaks (it IS all steel) I�ll just throw it away and buy another one.

My advice? Look around for a good torque wrench but not at Sears.

(Edit- The smaller, ", inch/pound, Harbor Freight torque wrench is made in Taiwan as opposed to the bigger ones which are Chinese. It's almost twice the price of the bigger ones as well.)
    Last edited by GaryS; 07-22-2005 at 12:41 PM.
    [size=5]-GaryS-[/size]

mtbr member
    May 2004
    When I was looking to buy a 1/4" a while back, I couldn't find anything other than the Park tools in the same price range. So I bought the Park one for ~$30 from Performance. They seem to have a global lifetime warranty, but I don't know if that applies to the torque wrenches as I see that's not the case with Craftsman which is normally their case.

Harbor Freight tools are really quite adequate for "spares" or multiple tools. The fact is that a lot of us no where near use good name brand tools enough to justify their price.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryS
    (Edit- The smaller, ", inch/pound, Harbor Freight torque wrench is made in Taiwan as opposed to the bigger ones which are Chinese. It's almost twice the price of the bigger ones as well.)