mtbr member
    Dec 2006

2x9 drivetrain, help please!

So I am going 2x9 on the 2006 Kona Coiler that I am building up from the frame, and I would like to know what to do shifter wise. I mean, are there shifters with only 2 positions specifically for this purpose or will a shifter with three positions work and if so how? Thanks!

By the way, I was thinking X.9 trigger shiters and rear derailleur with a SRAM X.Gen front derailleur, lemme know what you think!

Rocket Scientist
    Mar 2005
    I'm not sure if this is the proper way to do it but I just used the limit screw on the front derailer to keep me from shifting into my bash guard.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    Just set the upper limiter screw on the the front D to prevent it from trying to shift into a ring that is no longer there.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

mtbr member
    What they said about the limiter screw. Also, do not move your derailleur position on the frame. Leave it in the position as if you had 3 rings. It'll look a little goofy with the big gap, but that's where it works best.