mtbr member
    Apr 2005

29er wheels on a budget?

Has anyone seen any good deals on a set of budget 29er wheels? Hopefully under $200? I just bought a frame set and need some cheap wheels to get the project rolling.

Former Bike Wrench

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72

The BWW wheels look great! Any comments on how this set compares?

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ty-FR-Rims.htm

I am thinking the stronger rims might be nice but they are a bit heavier.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti342
    The BWW wheels look great! Any comments on how this set compares?

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ty-FR-Rims.htm

I am thinking the stronger rims might be nice but they are a bit heavier.
    The XT hubs are a significant upgrade over Deore and the SpeedDisc AM 29er rims are plenty stout. I'm 225lbs on a machine built set of SpeedDisc AM 29ers and they have held up for a year with no issues. They also convert quite well to tubeless if that's something your interested in.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The XT hubs are a significant upgrade over Deore and the SpeedDisc AM 29er rims are plenty stout. I'm 225lbs on a machine built set of SpeedDisc AM 29ers and they have held up for a year with no issues. They also convert quite well to tubeless if that's something your interested in.
    IME the 6-bolt XT hubs are not functional enough different to justify the price increase over the 6-bolt Deore. Only differences are an extra internal seal in the rear XT and the Deore axles are threaded their full length. The weight is the same.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    IME the 6-bolt XT hubs are not functional enough different to justify the price increase over the 6-bolt Deore. Only differences are an extra internal seal in the rear XT and the Deore axles are threaded their full length. The weight is the same.
    Having spent many years with both the Deore M525 and the XT M756 hubs, I will disagree with you on this one...at least on the rear hub. That extra seal makes a huge difference in the fall through spring riding in the NW (which I'm sure your aware of). I have found that the XT's run smoother longer and have longer service intervals than the Deore's. In addition I have gotten better durability (zero failures) in the FH versus the cheaper Deore FH (2 failures).

If you were custom building a wheelset...I can see saving $25 by using a Deore front hub but I would not skip out on the rear...at least the climate I ride in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the BWW wheels this afternoon with aluminum nipples and black straight gauge spokes. I can't wait to get the new bike built up!

More cowbell!
    Sorry to chime in so late, but bikeisland.com has some pretty good prices on wheelsets for 29ers. One can get WTB disk wheels with Kenda tires for $199.95.
    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1518
    They also have some nice prices on Vuelta wheelsets too, which I think a very good value!