Adventure Mapper

29er UST or Tubless Ready Tires

Anyone find deals on either UST or Tubeless Ready tires (preferably 2.2-2.35)?
    Seems like we have a limited selection to choose from as it is.
    Thanks!
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance
    Schwalbe 2012 Racing Ralph Tire 29 x2.25 Performance Folding
    Fast 605g. Harder compound than evolution. Holds in curves tracks thru sand and gravel. Not a mudder.

Adventure Mapper
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance
    Schwalbe 2012 Racing Ralph Tire 29 x2.25 Performance Folding
    Fast 605g. Harder compound than evolution. Holds in curves tracks thru sand and gravel. Not a mudder.
    Thanks....its not Tubeless Ready though.
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    From Schwalbe site-
    "Tubeless Ready tires are not Tubeless tires. However, they can be converted to a Tubeless tire by adding a sealing fluid. Schwalbe Tubeless Ready tires have a specially formed and coated tire bead. This seals the rim very efficiently and provides safe seating."
    But it also depends on your rim.
    I'm running them with tubes.
    A friend is running them tubeless.
    I've compared the tire beads on an evo and perf tire and they appear very similar to the same. Inflate either to 40psi to seat max. The Performance side knobs last better on hardpack and hold better in dry conditions. The Evolution compound would be a better choice in wet root and rock conditions. It wears out faster in dry.

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    see my post in this forum about universal cycles... Got a set of Nobby Nic's (29x2.25) snakeskin tubeless ready tires for just under $140 for the set shipped.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You can run regular 29 tires tubeless all day long. You don't find many UST 29er tires because the weight would be a big deterrent to most people (UST tires are heavy in 26, imagine all that extra sidewall rigidity on a 29).

I'm running folding bead nevegals on my 29, no problems at all. All my buddies are running regular folding bead tires on their 29s also.

I have XT (m770) wheelset and a black flag pro wheelset. Both tubeless, no problems with either. I can set the tires with a floor pump and a bit of effort holding the tire dead center while I pump. FYI- using a co2 will mess up your stan's (causes it to 'spider web because it flash freezes it').
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com