mtbr member
    Sep 2008

2012 Easton wheels on clearance @ CRC ... Haven 29s worth it?

Easton Haven MTB 29er Wheelset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

seems like a decent deal, anyone care to weigh in?

Am looking for 29" wheels to go with a Rockshox Reveleation RCT3, 20mm thru axle, and CRC has both a deal on that fork and these wheels for what looks like a good price. For reference, I could get the same set at Jenson has for $600, in black.

I'm planning a trail hardtail build. The other thing I'd consider is a stan's arch EX wheelset or maybe flow EX. Current non-sale prices would put that around $550 with adapter.

I currently have a set of handmade SS Hope Pro2 / Pacenti TL28 rims handmade by a local builder and they are amazing. I'm not terribly wild about how loud the hopes are, so I want something other than hopes for this build.

I love that the Havens are UST and I hear they are quiet and stout. I think they look pretty nice, too. I don't like the unusual spokes (will I have to sideline the bike someday to wait on repairs or replacements?) and the oddball spoke count (can't reuse hubs or rims with other components)...

So are my fears unfounded? Is this too good a deal to pass up? Are Stan's hubs leaps and bounds better?

More Torque
    Your fears are not unfounded; there have been lots of folks who have had problems with the Easton hubs. It is better to stick with non-proprietary spokes when possible.

-D

mtbr member
    Study up on the Havens, I know Easton supposedly rectified what was a bearing preload issue for the 2012s; a major consideration when these sets came around all last year, what circa...

I rode the 2012s for a while, then the demo-test rig moved on; no problems, enjoyed them immensely. Post the price, as some are too lazy to hit the link, like me,

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    These are great wheels when they are working - super light, stiff and surprisingly strong for having such a low spoke count. My 2010 set suffered from the rear hub issue and eventually Easton sent me a new wheel with an updated hub for free. I only have about half a season on the new rear, but so far so good. I would try to find out if they have the hub issue sorted out and if you are convinced they have, then go for it because this is a great wheelset at a very decent price. BTW, The spokes are not proprietary, they are just straight pull spokes like any other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Price is $505 at CRC, forgot to mention.

from trolling forums, it does look like they fixed the bearing pre-load issue for 2012, apparently they added a nut you can adjust. From the FAQ on Easton's website, it's something you can retrofit to old wheels, and it sounds like you don't have to send it in to do it.

I also figured out from the website that the spokes are standard straight-pulls, it's the nipples that are fancy. When truing these, I guess you have to turn the spoke and hold the nipple.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Yes, they have fixed the pre-load issue and you are correct about the retrofit as well. Easton sent me a new set of rear bearings and the axle upgrade with no questions asked on my 26" wheelset. My bearings were just starting to get gritty and I honestly never experienced the more severe pre-load issues I also read here but wanted to get the axle upgraded as a preemptive measure.

Good wheels, great customer service, and decently stiff and light for an AM wheelset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Sorry to split the thread - I was looking for deals on the new Roval Carbons. I know they fixed some of the bearing issues (perhaps the preload one) but my local shop still claims the bearings have very short life even well adjusted. They said the replacement is fairly easy but that I'd want to plan on doing it at least once a season. Easton does have great support but they were less than forthcoming with there being any flaw in their hubs which seems to fly in the face of people's experience with them. I know some folks have been fine with them but compared to other hubs, these seem finicky.

For the point of argument, why not the Roval Carbon's at $1200 (not on sale)? They're wider, use DT hubs and are about the same weight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was looking at the aluminum havens, not the carbon rims. I've decided to steer clear of any "wheel systems" and get a standard 32h set that I can rebuild myself if needed. Very likely a Stans's Arch EX set.

mtbr member
    Be aware that the Revelation RCT3 29er fork that's on sale is an OEM takeoff. It's not specified on the listing but it wont come in a Rockshox box or with a shock pump. Will come with travel spacers which is funny being an OEM fork.

Price is killer though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I spoke with someone at Easton. It's probably been mentioned elsewhere but they have a spacer kit for the rear hub (they'll provide it free) which should make the pre-adjust issue a think of the past, as in you never have to pre-adjust at all. Hopefully that makes them as reliable as other hubs but time will tell. The Colorado Cyclist set is $1345 by the time you pay shipping. Still a pretty good deal but still higher than the Roval Carobon's.

Easton guys said they have no major changes for 2014 Haven's (e.g. wider rims)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wow! Appearently Easton has an upgrade kit for their hubs that eliminates the preload adjuster and allows for a thru axle on the rear- and it's free. Can't post a link, but there is an article on the front page of the MTBR site. Hopefully this really fixes the problem.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by blawson View Post
    I've decided to steer clear of any "wheel systems" and get a standard 32h set that I can rebuild myself if needed.
    Just keep in mind that relacing most any hubs to fresh rims will cost more than any system wheelset. Also the "system" wheels do often have weight & stiffness advantages.

I have some Haven carbon 29'ers I bought used and they have been incredible.
    Far stiffer and lighter than the hope/flows they replaced.
    Easton sent me all new hub guts for a nominal fee when I first bought the wheels (I needed to conver the axles; they upgraded everything else at almost no cost.) No issues with the hubs since.
    Called today and got the new bearings & axle spacer on the way, no cost, no questions asked. Really excellent customer service.

I had great luck with Stans rims too, but I'm pretty stoked on Easton's customer service right now.
    And that is a pretty sick deal ($498 /pair!)

ask
    user
    Bit the bullet and ordered the Easton Haven 29ers from CRC this morning... Pretty stoked of 55% off price. I almost bought the carbon versions from Colorado Cyclist, but couldn't justify $1300 for some wheels to put on a $400 SS frame. Also saving up for a new 650B trail bike later this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Yeah, 1350 shipped (29er) is a great price. It is amazing though that 1350 sounds like a good deal. I think it's only because carbon was so ridiculously expensive a short time ago that now paying just 2-3x the price of an aluminum wheelset seems like a bargain.

I know the Haven's don't need any rim strip vs say Roval's so that should be some advantage there. I do wish they were a few mm wider.

mtbr member
    My opinion on the Havens: Great when they work. Stiff and light. Garbage hubs. I destroyed hubs on three wheelsets then I decided to sell the warranty replacements and got a custom Hadley/pacenti wheelset build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    My opinion on the Havens: Great when they work. Stiff and light. Garbage hubs. I destroyed hubs on three wheelsets then I decided to sell the warranty replacements and got a custom Hadley/pacenti wheelset build.
    Where they all rear hubs or did you destroy a front hub too? My front hub has been super solid, were as the rear has been nothing but problems. I'm hoping with Easton's "upgrade" the rear will be more durable too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strangedezign View Post
    Where they all rear hubs or did you destroy a front hub too? My front hub has been super solid, were as the rear has been nothing but problems. I'm hoping with Easton's "upgrade" the rear will be more durable too.
    Destroyed the rear hubs. Front hubs are mostly reliable regardless of who makes it. They are very simple and hard to mess up.

I really wanted to like my Havens. But I have no faith in Eastons wheelsets anymore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I'm considering a Pacenti TL28 set as well. The sensible part of my brain says I'm crazy considering $1300 for Carbon Havens. For 29er hoops, having reduced weight is a bigger deal since it's hard to quickly turn a big heavy rim but for $600 I can get a White Ind/TL 28 build up which works out to 1700 by the time you get tubless kits in them. I have no doubt they're nowhere near as stiff or perhaps as strong but I probably don't need them to be.

That said, I do hope the last East kit finally fixes the rear hub issues and I hope they make the Haven's 25mm internal sometime soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Those of you considering purchasing from CRC but residing out of country (U.S.), remember the definite possibility of being charged a duty fee. Ive been charged a couple times before. Still a great deal but a not as good as anticipated. Could be up to $100 but most likely between $50-70. Some fall in the cracks and never get charged. None the less, something to think about!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would expect a handbuilt set to be stiffer, especially if that's what you ask for. My tl28s/hopes really impressed me, especially in rotational stiffness. They are top notch wheels. I just can't afford a custom build this time around. I forget how much mine weighed, but I think I posted it in a TL28 thread.

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by cdubb30 View Post
    Those of you considering purchasing from CRC but residing out of country (U.S.), remember the definite possibility of being charged a duty fee. Ive been charged a couple times before. Still a great deal but a not as good as anticipated. Could be up to $100 but most likely between $50-70. Some fall in the cracks and never get charged. None the less, something to think about!
    ^This... My wheels just arrived from CRC and I had to cut a check for $70 to collect them. Still a good deal, but not quite as good as before. In fact the price is now about the same as if I had bought them from Colorado Cyclist on closeout. Still stoked to check them out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    That's strange. I've ordered wheels from CRC and parts groups from Merlin in the UK and was never charged a duty. Do you know why you were charged ?

ask
    user
    Quote Originally Posted by ben2e View Post
    That's strange. I've ordered wheels from CRC and parts groups from Merlin in the UK and was never charged a duty. Do you know why you were charged ?
    My wife was home when the delivery came... I'll look at the paperwork when I get home and see if it says why there was a duty. I've bought several medical items for work from the UK and never been charged a duty on those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Its hit or miss but most of the time, the duty/tax/fee is charged by the shipping company. Ive purchased from Merlin Cycles and received a bill in the mail from UPS a couple weeks later. The post office will sometimes charge you, and sometimes, they wont deliver your item until you pay the duty. Its apparently triggered by the size of a package in conjunction with the value of the item shipped...

If you havent been charged, consider yourself lucky.