20% off Art's Cyclery

Printable View

  • 07-02-2014
    jhobert
    I tried to to purchase pair of shimano xt disc brakes but none of the code works. I guess it only works for a certain item
  • 07-02-2014
    kevinboyer
    I don't think XT brakes count as an "accessory". I just added a pair of Ergon GE1 grips in my cart and typed in SAVE15 and it worked fine, but did not work with FREEDOM20. I guess grips are not accessories either.
  • 07-02-2014
    jhobert
    Re: 20% off Art's Cyclery
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I don't think XT brakes count as an "accessory". I just added a pair of Ergon GE1 grips in my cart and typed in SAVE15 and it worked fine, but did not work with FREEDOM20. I guess grips are not accessories either.

    I guess they have very limited item that u can use the code. I might aswell take my order to pricepoint. They have $50 off if i order $260 or more.
  • 07-02-2014
    SirSlow
    Code is FREEDOM without the 20. Don't think it will work on brakes anyway.
  • 07-14-2014
    higgs
    THANKS for the info!! Just used the code SAVE15 and it worked fine. Saved on a POC helmet that was already a decent price, prior to discount. FREEDOM codes didn't work on this.
  • 07-22-2014
    cplagz
    Thanks guys, just saved a fair whack on a NextSL crankset, cinch BB, boots and 30t spiderless ring setup!
  • 07-22-2014
    8iking VIIking
    Re: 20% off Art's Cyclery
    Just bought a road bike from art's that was already on sale, with the save15 code it was over 30% off retail!

    I test rode one at the lbs, fully intending on buying one there. But after my test ride I told them I wanted a couple days to think it over, and as soon as I said I wouldn't be buying today the guy was rude as f**k to me. No wonder why people buy online, in my experience most bike shops have terrible customer service, unless you have spent thousands there. Then they're your best friend!
  • 07-22-2014
    Guppie58
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Just bought a road bike from art's that was already on sale, with the save15 code it was over 30% off retail!

    I test rode one at the lbs, fully intending on buying one there. But after my test ride I told them I wanted a couple days to think it over, and as soon as I said I wouldn't be buying today the guy was rude as f**k to me. No wonder why people buy online, in my experience most bike shops have terrible customer service, unless you have spent thousands there. Then they're your best friend!

    What you did is technically referred to as 'showrooming'. Many local business owners frown upon this, however as an economist there is nothing wrong with this. Economic studies also show that showrooming has not hurt businesses (although study was directed to larger retailers).

    We as consumers have no obligation to buy from a local store. The LBS has an obligation to win our business. Evolve or die.
  • 07-22-2014
    impulse2010
    I rarely buy much of anything from local store's anymore. Prices are so much cheaper online and i don't even have to leave the house. Sorry but i am a cheap and believe in making my money go as far as possible.

    Online i rarely get hit with taxes, plus can use sites such a ebates/activejunky for extra cash back on top of my credit cards cash back.
  • 07-22-2014
    8iking VIIking
    Re: 20% off Art's Cyclery
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Guppie58 View Post
    What you did is technically referred to as 'showrooming'. Many local business owners frown upon this, however as an economist there is nothing wrong with this. Economic studies also show that showrooming has not hurt businesses (although study was directed to larger retailers).

    We as consumers have no obligation to buy from a local store. The LBS has an obligation to win our business. Evolve or die.

    Well, not really. Showrooming would be going in there with no intentions of buying a bike. My initial plan was test ride a couple bikes, talk it over with the Mrs and sleep on it, then most likely make a purchase. But the way the guy acted left such a bad taste in my mouth that I said to hell with that place. He gave off a "oh you're not dropping a grand today? Well screw you then" kind of vibe Soooo then I hit up art's, where I've always been treated great even though I've never stepped through the door.

    I agree with you though, I have no moral obligation to spend my money locally. If you can't treat every customer with the same level of respect you don't deserve to be in business
  • 07-24-2014
    kragu
    20% off Art's Cyclery
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Well, not really. Showrooming would be going in there with no intentions of buying a bike. My initial plan was test ride a couple bikes, talk it over with the Mrs and sleep on it, then most likely make a purchase. But the way the guy acted left such a bad taste in my mouth that I said to hell with that place. He gave off a "oh you're not dropping a grand today? Well screw you then" kind of vibe Soooo then I hit up art's, where I've always been treated great even though I've never stepped through the door.

    I agree with you though, I have no moral obligation to spend my money locally. If you can't treat every customer with the same level of respect you don't deserve to be in business

    There's definitely a fine line. My thought is that if you get buying advice locally, you'd better buy locally. It's tough when you can get something for hundreds less online, especially if your lbs experience is less than stellar. For major components (frames, forks, wheels) I do my research online so I don't feel crappy about buying online.

    I'd often buy little things (<$100) online, but when my lbs closed up shop - kind of a sad little shop run by a nice old man who didn't keep up with the times - I realized how great it was to have them around. A new shop opened up in its place, selling Giant, Cannondale, and a couple of other recreational brands. They stock higher end doodads and gizmos and have better mechanics, and I've made it a point to spend a few extra bucks there.

    I like buying from Arts, who started off as a little LBS. I think of them as California's LBS, sort of a regional shop. Helps that they have killer CS and great sales.
  • 07-24-2014
    Oh My Sack!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kragu View Post

    I like buying from Arts, who started off as a little LBS. I think of them as California's LBS, sort of a regional shop. Helps that they have killer CS and great sales.

    I knew Art when he had the small shop years and years ago. He sold a long time ago to a couple younger guys which eventually got consumed by the corporate structure that it is now. I love today's Art's and shop their retail store all the time but Art's is what it is solely because of huge internet sales. The company that owns Art's and put it online is the same firm that owns Tackle Warehouse (fishing), Tennis Warehouse, Roller Blade Warehouse, Rider's Warehouse (Equine), and Runner's Warehouse. They got into the fishing tackle thing after a very good friend of mine and his wife built a small camp/fish store. My wife and I helped out a lot. We turned it into a Bass Pro outlet of sorts back in the 90's. It was the only game in town for pro bass gear. They got in a little too deep with some poor business management and these guys came along and wanted in with a cash infusion and some technology. The computerized the entire inventory and eventually went online with it, consumed my friends, and spit them out on the street when they were done. It was a smart business move and our friends weren't savvy enough to get in and stay in. Anyway, that's just a little cliff note of how this "local" thing got started here in our tiny town of San Luis Obispo. The warehouse connected behind the small outlet storefront's of the "Warehouse" conglomerate is quite impressive. Probably an easy 100k square feet with probably hundreds of employees, most Cal Poly SLO students. They appear to be doing quite well!
  • 07-27-2014
    mtnbiker4life
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I agree with you though, I have no moral obligation to spend my money locally. If you can't treat every customer with the same level of respect you don't deserve to be in business

    I totally agree. If that guy treated me that way when I was in the early stages of shopping for a bike, I would have went straight to the manager and busted his/hers chops for allowing such sub standards sales tactics.
  • 07-27-2014
    Diesel~
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    I knew Art when he had the small shop years and years ago. He sold a long time ago to a couple younger guys which eventually got consumed by the corporate structure that it is now. I love today's Art's and shop their retail store all the time but Art's is what it is solely because of huge internet sales. The company that owns Art's and put it online is the same firm that owns Tackle Warehouse (fishing), Tennis Warehouse, Roller Blade Warehouse, Rider's Warehouse (Equine), and Runner's Warehouse. They got into the fishing tackle thing after a very good friend of mine and his wife built a small camp/fish store. My wife and I helped out a lot. We turned it into a Bass Pro outlet of sorts back in the 90's. It was the only game in town for pro bass gear. They got in a little too deep with some poor business management and these guys came along and wanted in with a cash infusion and some technology. The computerized the entire inventory and eventually went online with it, consumed my friends, and spit them out on the street when they were done. It was a smart business move and our friends weren't savvy enough to get in and stay in. Anyway, that's just a little cliff note of how this "local" thing got started here in our tiny town of San Luis Obispo. The warehouse connected behind the small outlet storefront's of the "Warehouse" conglomerate is quite impressive. Probably an easy 100k square feet with probably hundreds of employees, most Cal Poly SLO students. They appear to be doing quite well!

    Interesting history, for sure.

    -D
  • 07-27-2014
    InertiaMan
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Probably an easy 100k square feet with probably hundreds of employees, most Cal Poly SLO students.

    I'm skeptical that they employ "hundreds" of people. In the article on JensonUSA last year in mtbr, they noted a 74,000 sq ft warehouse and 64 employees. My perception (could be wrong), based on breadth of inventory and the fact that I've spoken to the same person every time I've ever called Art's, is that Art's is smaller than Jenson.

    Not trying to crap on your (interesting) story, just adding some quantified points of reference.
  • 07-27-2014
    Oh My Sack!
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I'm skeptical that they employ "hundreds" of people. In the article on JensonUSA last year in mtbr, they noted a 74,000 sq ft warehouse and 64 employees. My perception (could be wrong), based on breadth of inventory and the fact that I've spoken to the same person every time I've ever called Art's, is that Art's is smaller than Jenson.

    Not trying to crap on your (interesting) story, just adding some quantified points of reference.

    You should drive by and have a look at the parking lot on a weekday! There is an easy 100 employee cars parked there during business hours. I think you're thinking about Art's as a solitary entity though it's not. It's possible that Jenson is actually bigger on the bike side of things but corporate location for Art's is Jenson times at least 3 as this one location houses the operations for their Runner's Warehouse, Rider's Warehouse, & Art's. They have 3 separate locations for the Tackle Warehouse, Tennis Warehouse, and Inline Warehouse part of the conglomerate just a few miles away from the main warehouse. It's a regular thing to see 3 or 4 55' UPS trailers at the shipping dock daily. Between all the stores, there's some serious commerce taking place out of that one building.

    Art's phone operations are done just off the edge of the retail ops. I think they have 3 offices delegated to that operation. There are maybe 3 or 4 guys that float the retail floor with another couple guys that work in the repair department. The rest goes on behind the scenes that we public can't see.
  • 07-27-2014
    InertiaMan
    Got it. I misunderstood what you were counting . . . thought you meant the bike biz was 100's of bodies. I could easily see a cumulative workforce in the 100's to support all their market segments.
  • 07-28-2014
    Shark
    I placed an order last night for a handful of small things, got an e-mail saying it'll be shipped today. So far so good!
  • 09-09-2014
    smmokan
    FWIW, it looks like Arts is starting to crack down on their 15% off codes. I tried to use it (SAVE15) this week to buy some new tires and a couple of other things, and I wasn't able to apply it. Damn.
  • 09-09-2014
    kragu
    20% off Art's Cyclery
    Worked for me just now on a 2.35 Ikon.
  • 09-09-2014
    8iking VIIking
    Yeah, it just doesn't work on some items. It's always been that way as far as I know
  • 09-09-2014
    smmokan
    Weird... I tried to buy a 2.4" Ardent and a 2.2" Honey Badger- both tires I've bought from them in the past- and neither of them were discounted. Oh well.