Thread: 10 Speed Chains

Wanderer

10 Speed Chains

I can't find any good deals on 10 speed chains at all right now.

Anyone know of anything out there? High end, low end, doesn't matter to me much.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    I can't find any good deals on 10 speed chains at all right now.

Anyone know of anything out there? High end, low end, doesn't matter to me much.
    Seen 10 speed cutter chains show up on CL a couple times for 20 bucks. I bought one on a combined order and it looks fine. Haven't tried it out yet.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    I found SRAM PC-1070 chains on Ebay for $30

I bought 2 of them.

Trail Ninja
    SRAM PC-1091R Hollowpin chains pop up for about $40 on eBay and classifieds from sponsored riders selling off spares that they bought at pro-deal prices. $84 msrp. Next cheapest price from reputable dealer $55.

I buy a lot of my high end gear from such sellers. Got most of my XX upgrades relatively cheap from 'em, buying them used from local SoCal pros in the offseason.

Wanderer
    Found the SRAM PC-1070 on BikeWagon for $30! Free shipping also.

mtbr member
    X10SL is the best chain I've used. There was a guy selling them for $35 shipped on ebay a while back.

Trail Ninja
    Hard to say which chain is best. I've used a X9SL and X10SL and found that I personally don't like a chain that's too light, as they tend to be more sensitive to everything, including forces that have a negative effect on it, such as rattling, impacts from landing, and even shifts that weren't so carefully modulated at the shifter. They don't seem to be any faster at shifting either, seem to be more prone to chain suck, and seem to generate a bit more noise (lighter sound, but wider range of noises, which is more noticeable) when pedaling. I honestly would be fine with a cheaper chain in my area, since there's little chance for corrosion, so the costly nickel-plating only ends up being an aesthetic feature.

I'd run a low end chain without much complaint, if the cost savings were significant, as the main feature I look for is basically a chain that installs without a hitch and isn't prone to break under tension. Being quiet, easy to clean, looking good, being resistant to corrosion, and having the links shaped/chamfered to better match cog and chainring teeth profiles, pins, and ramps for optimized shifting are luxuries.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I love my X10 (non-SL) chain on my Shimano drivetrain. I read that the SRAM chains don't work as well on Shimano. Also, the KMC chains have a removable and reattachable quick-link thing. SRAM says theirs is for single use, which is kind of dumb.

The KMC are nice chains no doubt. Personally I lube mine with Prolink and Teflon (depending on my mood?) and it has essentially no stretch after maybe 500mi. Shifts wonderfully when lubed.

I've seen the X10 for like $25 or so.
    Bamboo is real.

Trail Ninja
    Just for clarification, the SRAM PowerLock is intended for one-time use, designed with tighter tolerances for easy tool-less installation (found on their 10sp and select/narrower 9 sp chain models). The SRAM PowerLink is reusable (found on their wider 7/8/9 speed chains).

Edit: the more I talk about 10 speed chains, the more I wonder about the direction in which drivetrains tech is going in. Should be simplifying, not creating more problems and designing fixes for the new problems going 10 speed created.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 04-25-2012 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You get what you are willing to pay for with chains. Lighter costs more, plated costs more. Hit up eBay, there is usually cheap stuff to be had, just beware people with low/neg feedback and those who charge obscene shipping prices.