mtbr member

$89 True Temper OX Ultra II hardtail

This is old news, but in case someone was looking for a low priced hardtail made from good True Temper OX Ultra II steel, check out this Universal Cycles frame...

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2&category=452

Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

A Real Winner.
    Good call, i was actually looking for an entry level steel frame like this! Does anyone know weights or any specs on these?

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Don't quote me on this...but...

I think it is an older KHS frame. KHS has done steel frames for almost forever and this may be an overstock from a few years back. Do a search for KHS here and it should pop up some results. I don't own one, and apart from seeing one or three on the trail don't know much more about 'em.

JmZ

Quote Originally Posted by sonyisdope
    Good call, i was actually looking for an entry level steel frame like this! Does anyone know weights or any specs on these?
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's a general consensus that this frame is a leftover KHS frame. The description seems to match the last batch of KHS Team Hardtails made from True Temper OX Ultra II.

Here is a thread with one built up as a SS. Maybe shoot this rider an email and see if you has any more info.

SS Phobia!

Call or email Universal for the frame specs. I was thinking about this frame six months ago as a budget bike project ala left over parts. They sent me the specs, but deleted that email a while back.
    Last edited by dirtpaws; 07-30-2004 at 08:21 PM.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good value hardtail frame

I've had the phobia since early spring and have been satisfied with the ride. I've built mine with disc for the occasional trip to the mountains. I've done 4 epic type mountain rides and a solo 12 hour race on it so far and it has done well. Not as nice of a ride as my SS but it works great for times when I think I'll need more then one gear. My only complaint is the calbe/hose guides are kinda goofy, but I sort of expected that. So far its been a better frame then I had realized when I bought if from universal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i bought one a few years ago, when it was named the "mustang ranch".

LOL!

i built it for my bro in law. the frame handles quite nice. i would have no problem riding one.

Bob

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalinbob
    i bought one a few years ago, when it was named the "mustang ranch"
    Yeah funny name. Before they renamed it "Phobia" it was the "Wild West".

Any of these names is still better than Supergo's housebrand name "Weyless". Nice products and I have some Weyless parts on my bike, just a lame name IMO.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I bought one of these when I wanted to try a single speed. I built it up with disks and I have no complaints with this frame.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by rmi63
    I bought one of these when I wanted to try a single speed. I built it up with disks and I have no complaints with this frame.
    Me too (the link mentioned earlier in the thread is to my build up). Frame weight for my 17" is 4#5oz.

I've put lots of miles on the bike now and really like it. Actually, the Phobia is my main bike and my Tomac 78 Special just gathers dust...

baker