Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

$419 spank oozy trail 295

Bough some at Art's just now.

They have a $60 off order for $350 and above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been eyeing these wheels myself. Please post up a review after you get them built and have some ride time on them.

Edit..

I just realized that you bought the complete wheelset, but still would like to hear your review on them.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Will do.

The White Jeff W
    I used the rims to build a wheelset for my rigid bike this summer. Im very happy with them. I bang the rims every ride and so far they've held up great. Easy tubeless set up with a Gorilla Tape rim strip. Good rims
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I used the rims to build a wheelset for my rigid bike this summer. Im very happy with them. I bang the rims every ride and so far they've held up great. Easy tubeless set up with a Gorilla Tape rim strip. Good rims
    Me too, Hope, DTSwiss and Spank Oozy 295. Very nice wheelset. I'm quite happy. Coming from a 19mm wheelset previously the extra width is surprisingly noticeable and they seem to be pretty stiff. With the Hope hubs they came in around 1800grams with tape and valves.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I've been eyeing these wheels myself. Please post up a review after you get them built and have some ride time on them.

Edit..

I just realized that you bought the complete wheelset, but still would like to hear your review on them.
    I give them hell and they are still round and without dings. Incredible!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    I give them hell and they are still round and without dings. Incredible!
    That's all I have heard about their wheels/rims.

Awesome, solid product.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Someone in the comments section of the Pinkbike review said their 29" rim came apart at the seem (they are not welded). Maybe it was just a fluke. Most reviews I've seen have been on the 26 and 27.5 wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Someone in the comments section of the Pinkbike review said their 29" rim came apart at the seem (they are not welded). Maybe it was just a fluke. Most reviews I've seen have been on the 26 and 27.5 wheel sizes.
    Uh... Wrong wheels. I suggest you re-read the comment. He bought the old spank oozy wheels, not the new spank oozy trail 295 UST wheels.

They are different wheels.

These are tubeless his weren't.

In the future u may want to make sure you are talking about the right product.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    From his post, which is in the article for the Oozy Trail 295, it is not entirely clear if he bought the old Ozzy or the 295s. He may have been saying he bought the 295s based off the reviews of the old Oozy model (reasonable, since the 295s are new to the market). Here is the quote:
    "Mugen (Jul 23, 2014 at 1:07)

After seeing nothing but good reviews for the older spank oozy wheelset I bought the 29er version. Sadly I have had nothing but trouble with them. Some spokes would come completely loose every 3-4 rides, and they were hard to mount as tubeless unless I used a split tube as air would leak from the valve hole and more worryingly the sleeve joint. Finally after only 3 months riding, the rim split in 2 at the sleeve joint during a slide out. Photo on my profile. Gutted as I had seen nothing but good reviews, so either I got unlucky, or the 29er version is significantly more fragile than the 26er which is typically reviewed here and elsewhere... Eitherway I learned the importance of welded rims..."

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

From his post, which is in the article for the Oozy Trail 295, it is not entirely clear if he bought the old Ozzy or the 295s. He may have been saying he bought the 295s based off the reviews of the old Oozy model (reasonable, since the 295s are new to the market). Here is the quote:
    "Mugen (Jul 23, 2014 at 1:07)

After seeing nothing but good reviews for the older spank oozy wheelset I bought the 29er version. Sadly I have had nothing but trouble with them. Some spokes would come completely loose every 3-4 rides, and they were hard to mount as tubeless unless I used a split tube as air would leak from the valve hole and more worryingly the sleeve joint. Finally after only 3 months riding, the rim split in 2 at the sleeve joint during a slide out. Photo on my profile. Gutted as I had seen nothing but good reviews, so either I got unlucky, or the 29er version is significantly more fragile than the 26er which is typically reviewed here and elsewhere... Eitherway I learned the importance of welded rims..."
    The 295's are UST. He states he would have to run rim tape to run his tubeless. Different wheel. Why don't you understand that?

I almost bought the Spank Oozy 26 AL except they require rim tape, and I don't like dealing with rim tape, so I didn't get them.

He states his are non-UST in his post, hence not the 295. You do understand that, right? You do understand the difference, I hope. I know you can run tubes in a tubeless wheel, but his is not UST as he stated.

Also the pic in his profile has EVO on the rim, so it's not the 295, it is the Spank "EVO" 26 AL. The Race 28 doesn't come in 29". I didn't think I had to point that out, and assumed you would have looked at his picture and read what he said, as well, my fault for assuming.

Here is his wheel:

Dude, do your research.

Please tell me where the 295 (pictured below) says EVO ANYWHERE on the wheel???

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sorry, I didn't see his photo before, so you are correct that they were the older model.

However, do your research on tubeless rims. The 295s are not UST

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Sorry, I didn't see his photo before, so you are correct that they were the older model.

However, do your research on tubeless rims. The 295s are not UST
    You're right they are not UST, they are technically tubeless ready. I guess I'll eat crow now for that.

When I called to order the wheels from arts, The guy on the phone actually told me that they were UST and not tubeless ready. So much for trusting some knucklehead answering the phone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    LOL, no worries. These wheels look like a great deal. I almost pulled the trigger, but I wanted a wheelset with 10x135 endcaps to run a thru axle on my standard rear dropouts. I was also a little worried about the durability from that damn comment on Pinkbike, but that is apparently a non issue. I ended up buying a set of Pacenti TL28s for a really great price. Let us know how the 295's work out for you. They may be the next wheelset I purchase

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    LOL, no worries. These wheels look like a great deal. I almost pulled the trigger, but I wanted a wheelset with 10x135 endcaps to run a thru axle on my standard rear dropouts. I was also a little worried about the durability from that damn comment on Pinkbike, but that is apparently a non issue. I ended up buying a set of Pacenti TL28s for a really great price. Let us know how the 295's work out for you. They may be the next wheelset I purchase

You will love those TL28's. I have the 26" version on my Knolly Endorphin with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs and they are incredible.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Will do. Basically, from the sounds of it spank appears to be pretty hands-on with regard to product defects. I take that stuff with a grain of salt. It could have simply been a bad wheel.

It happens. Metal has its stress points, and he may have been pushing the wheels past their limits, too. Some people don't get that some wheels are just not built for certain types of riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Just got the wheels in. Guy I work with saw the box when I signed for them (had them delivered to work), and he came over to talk to me about biking.

Anyway - he has had the wheels himself for 3 months, rides up in a part of NC known for aggressive trails 3 or more weekends a month, and said he has banged them pretty good, and has had no issues.

mtbr member
    What axle configuration did ya get and are there conversion parts to change set-up? How loud are the rear hubs? Possibly getting a pair, I know their 26in wheels are pretty popular especially in UK, specs sound great for the 29. Not a whole lot of reports yet on them being so new. Thanks.

bwargs
    Live to ride, ride to live

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

It comes as a 15mm front 142 rear.

Really haven't heard many complaints about the wheels from people that have them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

So I open the box and they sent me the 27.5 wheels.

Argh!

Anyway, should have paid attention to the receipt they sent via email. The messed up part about it, is their page didn't give u the option of ordering a 27.5, it only said 29.

mtbr member
    That sucks.
    I'm actually looking for 27.5 but 135x5 rear.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    That sucks.
    I'm actually looking for 27.5 but 135x5 rear.
    If I'm not mistaken they come in 142 only. They do sell the rims individually, which I'm sure you know. I thought about building up a custom set but decided against it when I saw them at this price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbastardo View Post
    If I'm not mistaken they come in 142 only. They do sell the rims individually, which I'm sure you know. I thought about building up a custom set but decided against it when I saw them at this price.
    Can't blame you one bit, damn good price, would've been all over them myself.
    I've heard good things about their cust service so hopefully they take care of you.
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Can't blame you one bit, damn good price, would've been all over them myself.
    I've heard good things about their cust service so hopefully they take care of you.
    They did, actually. Sent me a new set of wheels and sent a pre-paid iOS label to me to send the wrong set back to them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Received my wheels last night. They didn't come with QR or 20mm front adapters as shown in their product page (Art's Cyclery).. So I am somewhat disappointed with that, even though I won't be using them. The rear wheel also did not include an axle.

Anyone know what rear axle I need to hook these wheels up to 650b santa cruz nomad?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast