Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

$27 for an 11-36 10 speed cassette

10K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  GuitsBoy 
#1 ·
Reactions: Stormwalker
#14 ·
So, to answer the Wolftooth question... sort of. The Sunrace physically fits on there seemingly the same as the PG-1070 with the Wolftooth SRAM GC. It seems to seat properly. The 17t is removable without knocking out any pins also. Without peddling/shifting it I don't know if there is some alignment I don't know of that would make it not work. Bicycle part Spoke Bicycle Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Gear Iron Circle

#17 ·
So, to answer the Wolftooth question... sort of
To me, it looks a lot more like an XT rear cassette than SRAM. It's hard to tell from the pic, but I guess you'd have to compare shift ramps to see if it behaves more SRAM like or Shimano like?

(I'm not also not certain what the differences are between the Shimano and SRAM Wolftooth GC's)

#15 ·
I got mine on Friday and it looks really good for the price. Actually it looks pretty good for $48 cassette too. A quick ride around the block and everything seemed to shift just fine (with a Shimano XT rear derailleur and chain). It is also 10 grams lighter than the SLX cassette I have, which really means nothing to me but I thought I'd mention it.

#20 ·
Sunrace is a component company from Taiwan, most of their stuff has been found on department store and some lower end LBS bikes. However they do make better product that seems to be well made. Even Shimano started at the bottom so you never know.

#23 ·
I jumped too. thanks.

Anyone who has this and an XT cassette care to measure the width difference of the largest cog groups' spider? Just wondering how much narrower this is, as it appears only two gears on the largest cog group vs. 3 on the XT cassette. Just thinking if this will be suitable for my alu freehubs

#25 ·
i can get you those measurements tomorrow according to my tracking when my sun race cassettes show up. i am thinking though that even the 2 cog carrier should be fine since even 4mm base SS cogs are usually ok on aluminum and the sun race carrier is likely to be more than that.

#37 ·
Bumping an old thread here. Did any of you figure out how the 40t Shimano GC works with this cassette as well as the 16t? Long story short I'm building a Jekyll for my father and ordered a Shimano GC for his SRAM cassette, but still have the new Sun Race cassette laying around that came stock on the Jekyll. I'm more concerned on the 16t more so than the 40t. Thanks!

#40 ·
I know the thread was resurrected for different reasons, but if anyone else is looking for a dirt cheap 11-36 ten speed cassette, the Shimano HG-50 is 12.99 at jenson, which is about as cheap as youll find. I believe mine weighed in around 380g or so, but hard to argue for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.