mtbr member

$11.99 Torque Wrench at Harbor Freight with coupon

I signed up for their coupons and got this in an e-mail:
    .99 Torque Wrench at Harbor Freight with coupon-torque.png

I already own a 1/4" and 3/8" drive, both of which I bought for working on my bikes, but at that price, there's no excuse for not picking up a torque wrench and making sure you're properly tightening everything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    In another ad going at this time it is $9.99

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I usually see these things for $9.99. Just want to point out that the HF clicker torque wrenches (and most cheap Chinese clicker torque wrenches) are not very good at the limits of their range. This goes for both high and low settings. It is very hard to tell when they click. A beam style torque wrench (that has a mirror on the scale to limit parallax error) works fairly well for bikes and are only around $30.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Trail Ninja
    Know of any affordable 3/8" beam torque wrenches that work up to about 250 in/lbs? The one I have goes up to 100 Nm, and not very ideal for pivot bolts that generally are between 10-25 Nm. The one that goes up to 100 Nm is okay for self extracting cranks, cassettes, centerlock lockrings, and threaded BBs though. The 0-7 Nm 1/4 beam is okay for cockpit and carbon stuff. Else that 1/4" clicker on Harbor Freight looks appealing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I'll trust my feel over that thing any day of the week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Know of any affordable 3/8" beam torque wrenches that work up to about 250 in/lbs? The one I have goes up to 100 Nm, and not very ideal for pivot bolts that generally are between 10-25 Nm. The one that goes up to 100 Nm is okay for self extracting cranks, cassettes, centerlock lockrings, and threaded BBs though. The 0-7 Nm 1/4 beam is okay for cockpit and carbon stuff. Else that 1/4" clicker on Harbor Freight looks appealing.
    Park Tools has the TW-2 with a range of 0-600 in-lbs... sells for around $47 shipped. Another option is to buy a used direct drive torque wrench on ebay. I have seen Precision Instrument wrenches go for $60. They are so accurate that even if they are off calibration they would still be fine for bike use. This is what I am talking about. You may get lucky and purchase a HF one that actually clicks but the ones I have used were so faint that I had to pull out my own torque wrenches and verify. The HF ones were accurate with the torque its just the clicking action that I have an issue with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

It's interesting how people buy fancy parts (Thompson stems come to mind) and want to install them "correctly" and use one of these made in china pos wrenches.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    It's interesting how people buy fancy parts (Thompson stems come to mind) and want to install them "correctly" and use one of these made in china pos wrenches.
    Surprisingly enough, the HF wrenches have pretty good reviews as long as you use them towards the middle of what they are rated for. If you drop $20 total on a 1/4 and 3/8, it's gonna be damn close to good enough for home mechanic use.

From what I've read, I'd buy this over the craftsman for example and I'd certainly rather save my money to spend on parts than blowing my budget on tools where I can get good enough for significantly less money.

The work comes in researching to know what is decent and what is a POS, but I wouldn't just label these in the latter category automatically cause they are harbor freight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My take is that tools are not consumables. There is a very good chance that the tool you purchase today will be used for the rest of your life (I'm still using the same toolset that I purchased 22 years ago). Why throw your money away on something that will cause headaches when you can spend extra now buy quality and be able to enjoy the ease of use for the rest of your life?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I bought one several years ago. After a couple years, the clicker quit clicking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    My take is that tools are not consumables. There is a very good chance that the tool you purchase today will be used for the rest of your life (I'm still using the same toolset that I purchased 22 years ago). Why throw your money away on something that will cause headaches when you can spend extra now buy quality and be able to enjoy the ease of use for the rest of your life?
    Good advice! I try to buy tools for life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    I bought one several years ago. After a couple years, the clicker quit clicking.
    Doesn't HF offer lifetime guarantees on their Pittsburgh Pro (or whatever the name is) tools? Pretty sure they'll replace it for you if it stops working.

Quote Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
    I'd buy this over the craftsman for example and I'd certainly rather save my money to spend on parts than blowing my budget on tools where I can get good enough for significantly less money.
    This. I spend money on some Park Tools and a few other things I know I'll use regularly, but my bike is the only place I'll ever need a torque wrench, and the HF wrenches I picked up will do their job just fine while giving me extra budget to use on bike parts. :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If youre of the opinion that if you throw enough money at something that it must be good, feel free to do so. I have 2 harbor freight wrenches to use on bikes and cars. None of these jobs are commercial (heavy use) or mission critical. All I want is to NOT STRIP threads and bolts and get close to my target torque value.

I also have a POS chinese made Ritchey torque key I use on 5 nm applications. Havent had a problem. I do zero out the wrenches and put them in their cases each and every use.

I test them annually with a lever and some weights and they are pretty much spot on. If they didnt pass the first test, they'd go back the same day.

When I work on airplane or race car engines, I'll buy a Snap-on. For bikes, this'll do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Some people here have reported striping bolts with these things. I'll continue to trust my hand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I do not mind HF, I go there sometime. However I bought a Torque wrench because I need one for my KTM rebuild. It is not accurate. If you need to torque something it has a good reason so do not use this. It may be cheap but will cost u in long run

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Some people here have reported striping bolts with these things. I'll continue to trust my hand.
    That may be true, but not in my experience. When I buy cheap tools, I usually will assess my risks. With the HF torque wrenches, all you need is a vise and some weights for calibration. I test for 45-65 in/lbs which is where I use the HF torque wrench for. How to Calibrate a Torque Wrench: 10 Steps (with Pictures) If it's off, I will write onto the wrench where to compensate. Once you compensate, it will take a couple of years before that reading moves, unless you persistently drop the tool.

I am aware that the HF will not be too accurate in the lower range, so I purchased a Ritchey torque key for 5nm. It works out because you don't really wanna bring out a torque wrench for 5nm. The torque key is the bomb. I'm in the market for a 2.5 one too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I find the HF torque wrenches accuracy to be about the same as Craftmans except they don't have the plastic handles that crack. For sure a freshly calibrated Snap-on is much better and about 10x tighter in ratchet action but also cost about 30x more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    That may be true, but not in my experience. When I buy cheap tools, I usually will assess my risks. With the HF torque wrenches, all you need is a vise and some weights for calibration. I test for 45-65 in/lbs which is where I use the HF torque wrench for. How to Calibrate a Torque Wrench: 10 Steps (with Pictures) If it's off, I will write onto the wrench where to compensate. Once you compensate, it will take a couple of years before that reading moves, unless you persistently drop the tool.

I am aware that the HF will not be too accurate in the lower range, so I purchased a Ritchey torque key for 5nm. It works out because you don't really wanna bring out a torque wrench for 5nm. The torque key is the bomb. I'm in the market for a 2.5 one too.
    These are actually pretty good to check the calibration of your wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    I find the HF torque wrenches accuracy to be about the same as Craftmans except they don't have the plastic handles that crack. For sure a freshly calibrated Snap-on is much better and about 10x tighter in ratchet action but also cost about 30x more.
    Craftsman torque wrenches are now made by a different company overseas. The old ones were actually quite good with the exception of the lock ring that cracks like you mentioned. My dad has one that is about 20 years old and repaired his with some epoxy. I have a couple Craftsman torque wrenches that are over 10 years old with no problems but I also rarely use the lock ring. The company that use to make the Craftsman ones also made them for Husky. If you find a Husky torque wrench that is labeled "Made in the USA" it will be a good one and has a handle that is better than what Craftsman uses. My first torque wrench was a Husky and I am still using it today.

I also just want to add that clicker torque wrenches are not very reliable over time. They are calibrated by adjusting a nut on a threaded shaft and then another nut is tightened against the first one to lock it in place. This loosens up over time and throws them off cal. If you can only afford a budget torque wrench I would advise against purchasing a clicker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yes with its peak hold it might be good for checking torque wrenches but it only goes down to 40nm, not low enough for a 1/4" torque wrench. For actually torquing bolts i find that HF digital torque meter hard to use. The light that tells you that your are approaching your torque value lights up for about 90 degrees of twist so really hard to stop your self when it finally goes red. With a clicker i can feel the break start to happen about 5 degrees before i hear the click. The other problem is that I have to read the manual each time i use it, I always forget how to program it.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Craftsman beam style torque wrench. Measures 0-75 ft. lbs. and was less than $20 and should be good to go for the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm View Post
    If you twist it all the way in then all the way out it will re set your clicker.
    I read that in the instructions.
    it also helps if you store it set at 0.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​