mtbr member
    Aug 2006

$100 for the Ultimate Consumer BRS 70B repair stand a good deal?

I'm about to buy a repair stand and most recommendations come back with the Park1, Park9 or the Ultimate Consumer BRS 70B.

Is $99 about the best going rate for the Ultimate.

Another question: I'm guessing you can rotate the clamp so that you can mount to the seat post tube vs. the top tube.....If not, will the Ultimate be OK for mounting to the top tube of a specialized rockhopper with the square top tube?

Thanks,

Freshly Fujified

Decent price

$99.00 is a decent price for that stand. Keep in mind that you should be clamping the arm of the stand to your seatpost, not the bicycle tubing itself. There are rare instances where your hand may be forced to clamp the frame, but exercise great caution and care should you ever need to do that.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So the Ultimate clamp will rotate so the clamp is able to clamp to the seatpost.....I thought so, the picture shows it horizontal and I wasn't sure if it rotated to a vertical position...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by feathersnfins
    So the Ultimate clamp will rotate so the clamp is able to clamp to the seatpost.....I thought so, the picture shows it horizontal and I wasn't sure if it rotated to a vertical position...
    Where can you get an BRS 70b for $99?

If you want to move up to the BRS 80r, REI Outlet has them for $130. If you have it shipped to a your local store shipping is free.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    Where can you get an BRS 70b for $99?

blueskycycling.com I believe....I also think REI outlet has the Ultimate Pro for 129, but I'm not sure that I would appreciate the difference since I'm a newbie and have never touched a stand...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    blueskycycling.com I believe....I also think REI outlet has the Ultimate Pro for 129, but I'm not sure that I would appreciate the difference since I'm a newbie and have never touched a stand...
    The best thing is maybe go into your LBS and play with the 2 and see if you notice any difference.

The bike stand to get is the Ultimate Pro-Elite but that stand is double in price to the brs70 and brs80 (Pro, non-elite). Between the brs70 and 80 I would pick the 80 especially if they are near the same price, free shipping to your local REI store can save a bit because i think these things ship oversized.

Between the brs70 and brs80 i think the 80 is the better stand. The clamp is a slide lock and easier to tighten down on a bike. The tripod base is wider and more stable. The tripod clamps are made of metal instead of plastic (brs70).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

go for the pro.

You won't be disappointed with either stand, but I think the pro is worth an extra $30. The larger stand makes it a lot more stable, plus the slide lock clamp makes it easier to get your bike in and out.
    TEX

mtbr member
    I have both and I agree w/Tex 100%