mtbr member
    Jul 2010

$ 50 worth of bike parts... FREE!

If you have an existing Amazon account, dump some stuff into yer cart. Check out, and find the option to pay for the purchase by applying for a Chase credit card.

I did it, got a 50 dollar credit for the purchase, and the card has no annual fee.

4 new sets of Shimano finned metal brake pads for me for 62 bucks out the door. Not bad

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Bad financial decision is bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    And that means what?

50 bucks free spending money for a card sounds good to me. Duhno if it matters, but am debt free save for a car loan, and only have one other credit card. No balance on that either

It's ok to swim with sharks, if youre in a shark cage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There are tons of credit cards out there who will give you more than $50 for signing up. Even Chase routinely offers up to $200 for their Freedom card.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hahahaha, if you can't tell the difference between this offer and that, it'll never make sense.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Yes, I always find that getting free money is a bad financial decision.

(hint: he didn't say you had to charge $10k worth of stuff, hold a balance or pay any fees. All you have to do is take the money and run.)
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    apply credit card = hard pull on credit. not worth $50.

if you're gonna apply for a credit card based on incentives (usually a bad choice), at least find the CCs that give you the most incentives. I've seen up to $200 in the past. Check fatwallet finance thread that aggregates all the best ccs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    apply credit card = hard pull on credit. not worth $50.

if you're gonna apply for a credit card based on incentives (usually a bad choice), at least find the CCs that give you the most incentives. I've seen up to $200 in the past. Check fatwallet finance thread that aggregates all the best ccs.
    Really? Ive been in finance for over 15 years. So you get a hard pull on credit once? What does that do? Nothing. Your credit score goes down if you do multiple checks over a short period of time. Even then, without adverse action on your part, it goes back to normal in short order.

Unless you're refinancing a home in the same month, I have no idea how getting a new card is bad. Oh, and the 200 cash back offers, read the fine print. You usually need to spend 500 on the card before you get the 200. And then, you can't close it over a period of time or they charge the 200 back to you. Real smart.

I got 4 pairs of F03 pads for 15 bucks/piece and 3 points for every dollar at amazon, where I spend a lot every year. I'm a happy camper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bing! View Post
    Really? Ive been in finance for over 15 years. So you get a hard pull on credit once? What does that do? Nothing. Your credit score goes down if you do multiple checks over a short period of time. Even then, without adverse action on your part, it goes back to normal in short order.

Unless you're refinancing a home in the same month, I have no idea how getting a new card is bad. Oh, and the 200 cash back offers, read the fine print. You usually need to spend 500 on the card before you get the 200. And then, you can't close it over a period of time or they charge the 200 back to you. Real smart.

I got 4 pairs of F03 pads for 15 bucks/piece and 3 points for every dollar at amazon, where I spend a lot every year. I'm a happy camper.
    read my post carefully, never said it lowered your score.

If the purpose of this deal is $50 incentive by applying for a certain credit card (something not recommended), then it's relevant to compare incentives of other credit card/checking card deals (also a hard pull). there are threads in finance forums that discuss these deals in detail and thoroughly vetted by a community far more knowledgeable and versed than you on this subject. If you do work in finance, it does not mean your are knowledgeable in every aspect of a field as any expert of any field will tell you. Emphasizing your credentials vs actually countering points I made does not make this a stronger discussion.

A imho better credit card to apply would be the penfed card which gives a 5% cashback on gas. Choosing and average amount, lets say $60/week on gas would earn $144/year cashback. $144/year > $50/once.
    more info here:What Credit Card Should I Get ? FAQ

The title is misleading as some things are more FREE than others.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You said, "apply credit card = hard pull on credit. not worth $50." So why isn't it worth it? There must be a negative in there somewhere if you say "it's not worth it"?

Read the fine print on the PenFed offer. *For a limited time until 10/31/13, enjoy 5 points for gas paid at the pump, 3 points for groceries, and 1 point for all other purchases. Get more for your membership.

Good luck getting 5% back on gas for any length of time. Anywho, it's really not
    worth anything to both of us debating this. You like your card, I like mine. If you don't want the 50 buck Amazon offer, more power to you. I was buying the pads anyway and I got them cheap, no strings attached, and I get 3% back on all Amazon purchases, I'm a Prime member too, so that works for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    While this debate is interesting, I don't see why it has any place in this forum. The fact that the OP applied his $50 to bike parts is hardly a justification for posting here. Should we post every credit card bonus or bank account opening bonus in this forum? Or even Rakuten points, since we can buy bike parts through Rakuten's marketplace?? How about airline miles . . . they can be converted to cash to buy bike parts!

But for the record, I've been getting 5% back on gas from my Penfed card for over 5 years.
    And I find it odd/entertaining that someone who works in finance for 15 years still gets this excited over jumping through hoops for $50.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I agree this is not a bike related post, since this is about a credit card deal that could be applied to any merchandise.

On the other hand listening to you guys you would think that Amazon visa rewards card was a terrible card. It's not, it's actually one of the better cards out there for people who don't carry a balance. You get 3% credit on amazon purchases, plus 2% on gas and some other purchases and 1% back on all other purchases. If you buy a significant amount of stuff an amazon this is a card you should have. The guy who says "Bad financial decision is bad. " is way off base.
    TEX

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    read my post carefully, never said it lowered your score.
    You said "hard pull".

What does that mean? It lowers your score.

But like already cleared up, any lowering of score is temporary.

So ok, unless you are planning on refinancing your house or buying a new car in the next few months, this is a good deal otherwise, don't do it.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by texas View Post
    I agree this is not a bike related post, since this is about a credit card deal that could be applied to any merchandise.

On the other hand listening to you guys you would think that Amazon visa rewards card was a terrible card. It's not, it's actually one of the better cards out there for people who don't carry a balance. You get 3% credit on amazon purchases, plus 2% on gas and some other purchases and 1% back on all other purchases. If you buy a significant amount of stuff an amazon this is a card you should have. The guy who says "Bad financial decision is bad. " is way off base.
    Partly true. A few years ago, Amazon hired a big shot from Specialized as head of its bike division. If you havent checked yet, bike parts at Amazon have some of the best prices anywhere. Shimano actually blows stuff out at Amazon direct.