mtbr member
    Feb 2007

ZTR Olympic 347 Disc Rim w/ AC Hubs or ?! Chime In - 185lb Rider

Hey There!

I wanted to run this custom wheelset I'm going to have built up for me. I'm 6'3", 185-190lbs and most of my riding (99%) is XC racing here in Northern California (Bay Area/Sacramento). Currently, I have a aluminum HT, I do my racing on which has Mavic XM819 on Hope Pro II Hubs laced with 3x DT Swiss Competition 2.0/1.8 spokes with brass pro lock nipples.

It's a nice wheelset and definately sturdy but it's not the lightest thing out there. I plan to build up a new Specialized S-works Epic Carbon in a few months and wanted to get a new wheelset to go along with it. This bike will be used for XC racing as well.

I'm very interested in the ZTR Olympic Rims and wanted to know if they would hold up to me and the type the riding I do. When I go to Stan's website and go to custom wheelset it looks like the "regular" Olympic rim is recommended up to 200lb rider (based off the "weight" pull down menu).

There is also ZTR Olympic "xtra light" rim where they guarantee it to be 347grams and again based off the weight pull down menu it looks like they recommend a max rider weight of 185, which is my weight.

I plan on lacing them with the American Classic Disc Hubs and Sapim CX-Ray bladed spokes, which are very light but I also hear are very strong. I would get 3x lace and probably get alloy nipples all around besides the driveside on the rear wheel will be brass, or just brass all around to make them even stronger?

Stan's website custom wheelset configurator doesn't have Sapim spokes but only has 2.0/1.7mm double butted spokes (3X ONLY and not sure what brand of spokes these would be, anyone know?) for my weight, anything else it seems they recommend for riders of lesser weight (170lb or less). So I'm thinking I will be even better off these Sapim spokes.

What do you guys think?

P.S. I also heard about a new ZTR Rim coming out for 2010, called the Alpine. Suppose to even lighter at 330grams and possibly same strength if not stronger? Or even the new Summit at 340 grams, might be worth waiting for. http://www.forum.light-bikes.de/showthread.php?t=9656

mtbr member
    You should be fine. If they rate a wheel for a max rider that weighs 185, that most likely means it is capable of more than that. I race on the Olympic rims with my carbon epic and they have been flawless. I weigh between 170-175.

P.S. I also used Sapim CX-ray spokes, but laced them to Hope Hubs. I just couldn't get past some of the bad reviews on the AC hubs and the Hopes came in red and I am vain that way!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    P.S. I also used Sapim CX-ray spokes, but laced them to Hope Hubs. I just couldn't get past some of the bad reviews on the AC hubs and the Hopes came in red and I am vain that way!

Yah I got the Hopes in Red right now on my HT, they seem to be doing fine and I like the noise & color

The reviews on the AC seem to be hit and miss but with the later models 2009- seem to be more consistently good. Specifically looking at the AC Disc 130 and 225, the 130 has 1 review @ 5 stars here on mtbr.com and reading around they seem to be okay.

5 yr warranty on the hopes right? AC only has 1 year. I was looking at the DT Swiss 240 hubs as well, a little bit heavier but I think they are sealed better and just more information on them with good reviews. I don't ride in adverse conditions so I'm not too worried about the seal. The Hopes add 150 grams (but $100 cheaper) over the AC hubs, while the DT's would add 100 grams but also adds $150 to the price tag haha!

I was also looking at Shimano XTR centerlock hubs but wasn't sure how that would work with the Formula R1 brakes I plan on getting, probably some adapter, adding weight that I don't want, they are only 75 grams more than the AC and about 50 bucks cheaper.

Ahhhh, decisions, decisions...

Hard to pass up the AC hubs.

transmitter~receiver
    Unless you like bladed look of CX Rays, you can get the weight and performance for much lower cost with DT Swiss Revolution or Wheelsmith XL14 spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Same setup

I have the exact setup you want to buils, Olympics with AC hubs, CX-ray spokes, and i also weigh 180-185 lbs, no issues whatsoever with that setup, year and a half of racing-training on that wheelset with no problem and im in SoCal, dusty trails, not much water though... so it's perfect and light!! go for it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kokoAzuela
    I have the exact setup you want to buils, Olympics with AC hubs, CX-ray spokes, and i also weigh 180-185 lbs, no issues whatsoever with that setup, year and a half of racing-training on that wheelset with no problem and im in SoCal, dusty trails, not much water though... so it's perfect and light!! go for it!

Cool man, thanks for the info, really appreciate it. Just to clarify somethings:

Are you running alloy nipples all around or brass?
    And are you using the Olympic 347 (extra light) set or just the "regular Olympic?

Thanks!

It looks like the complete AC MTB 26" Disc wheelset has a 4.79 review out of 14 reviews here on MTBR, which is good news since it uses the hubs I'm planning on getting.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...41_157crx.aspx

I've been looking at other wheelsets too, matching those rims with different hubs, but this combo seems hard to beat with its price and weight.

Here is a ~1600 dollar wheelset at 1220 grams HAHA!

http://www.extralite.com/Products/UltraDisc%20tnt.htm

On a more serious note I've been looking at the Specialized Roval wheelset which MSRP of 1200 and comes in at 1385grams but the 2 reviews on them, both complain about the front hub having issues, bearings?!

Also looking at some Industry 9 wheelset but it seems like their light stuff has a rider weight limit that is around 165lbs and their price is kind of up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm not sure but these maybe another option.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=40833

1463 grams

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Who you have build the wheels could make all the difference with this setup... 819's on Pro2's, a medium quality build works just fine. There's much less margin for a less-than-great build with these parts though. Correct, even spoke tension will let these last for a long time, but I would guess you'll kill them in short order if spoke tension is not spot on.

Basically, you have less room for error with the light stuff, so your builder has to be good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1115
    Who you have build the wheels could make all the difference with this setup... 819's on Pro2's, a medium quality build works just fine. There's much less margin for a less-than-great build with these parts though. Correct, even spoke tension will let these last for a long time, but I would guess you'll kill them in short order if spoke tension is not spot on.

Basically, you have less room for error with the light stuff, so your builder has to be good.
    Probably www.speedgoat.com, I have order things from them before and they are good I hear

OR

Prowheelbuilder.com, they seem to be decent, based off some feedback here:

Pro Wheel Builder

Anyone else I could order these custom wheels from? I could order from Stans themselves but they don't come with DT Aerolite or Sapim CX-Rays
    Last edited by iRoNeTiK; 11-05-2009 at 08:30 AM.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK
    Anyone else I could order these custom wheels from? I could order from Stans themselves but they don't come with DT Aerolite or Sapim CX-Rays
    From what I've read on mtbr, Stan's wheel build quality can be spotty Once again, unless you like the bladed look of aerolites or cx-rays, you can get the same performance and weight for much cheaper (easily >$100 cheaper).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    From what I've read on mtbr, Stan's wheel build quality can be spotty Once again, unless you like the bladed look of aerolites or cx-rays, you can get the same performance and weight for much cheaper (easily >$100 cheaper).
    I probably won't order from them, looks like speedgoat has the wheels the same price as prowheelbuilder.com but I trust them more.

Not sure if I like the bladed spokes are not, I'll have to take a look at them, maybe the Wheelsmith XL14 spokes.

For a minute, I was considering Marwi Ti-Dye Spokes (round or bladed) but I hear about the loss in stiffness but the weight/color was good. With my weight, I don't think so, maybe if I weighed 140lbs

I think I'm going to wait for the new ZTR Alpine which is a little wider at 20mm compared to 18mm of the Olympics and weigh a little less and definately get the AC hubs and probably the CX-Ray's with Red nipples. All from Speedgoat Cyclery.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    any thoughts on CK hubs with olympic/alpine rims? i am of similar weight. (185/190) a mate tried to steer me toward tune, but they have way to many detractors for me. i like 240s, but reckon i can go lighter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by awetdog
    any thoughts on CK hubs with olympic/alpine rims? i am of similar weight. (185/190) a mate tried to steer me toward tune, but they have way to many detractors for me. i like 240s, but reckon i can go lighter.
    240s are lighter than CK, so if you want lighter, I'd look at something else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    240s are lighter than CK, so if you want lighter, I'd look at something else.
    Yeah, with the same setup as me but different hubs, the AC setup (~$830) was 1350 grams, DT Swiss 240 ($1000) was 1422 grams and CK ISO ($930) was 1495.

mtbr member
    Sorry, let me elborate on this a bit more. I have two 240s wheelsets, and two CK wheelsets, and have only read about american classic hubs.

I can't tell the difference between 240s hubs and CK hubs in terms of rolling resistence. The 240s are center lock, so that alone saves a bit of weight, and I love CL XTR rotors. They're just super easy to mount, and are always centered.

The CK hubs engages much quicker, even with the 36 engagement point upgrade, the CK will still be slightly faster.

Some will say the 240s are quieter, but as the grease thins out, I find they're quite loud even in stock form. After riding the CK wheelset for a while, and going back to 240s, I notice the engagement speed difference quite signficiantly.

American classic hubs, although light, I read they do not resist to environment as well as the other two.

If I was in the market for hubs, I'd go either CK, I9, or 240s w/ the engagement kit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You are right, the seals on the CK and DT are probably better than the AC, which can be a main concern for people who ride in adverse conditions a lot. Around here in California, it's just mostly dust in the summer and I don't like to race in the mud so I believe the AC hubs will hold up well here and if I do ride a race or two in the rain then I will definately look at them for servicing/cleaning.

I also like the idea of the centerlock hubs but I will have to look into what rotors work with the Formulra R1's I'm going to get. Otherwise I just use 2-piece rotor, 6 bolt IS.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks for that. very much appreciated,
    i just have to choose between good old 240s or 100gm penalty for better engagement (and better looks, but that doesnt count does it) the better seals suit me. i have 240s on my road bike and dont find the noise a bother.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here is a thread on CK ISO versus DT 240's

Chris King ISO vs. DT Swiss 240s?

Do the DT 240's make the noise like the CK and Hope's do?

I think the AC are "quiet." I'm sure going to miss the noise of my Hope's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iRoNeTiK
    Here is a thread on CK ISO versus DT 240's

Chris King ISO vs. DT Swiss 240s?

Do the DT 240's make the noise like the CK and Hope's do?

I think the AC are "quiet." I'm sure going to miss the noise of my Hope's
    My 240s are much quieter than my CK. But when well greased, the CK is not that loud.

mtbr member
    thanks for that. very much appreciated,
    i just have to choose between good old 240s or 100gm penalty for better engagement (and better looks, but that doesnt count does it) the better seals suit me. i have 240s on my road bike and dont find the noise a bother.
    I like my CK wheelset better than my 240s. I think the better engagement really makes it easier in technical sections, and I'm all about bling

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have some WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs which are licensed from AC. I love them. They are light, reasonably priced and very trouble free. I have had CK hubs and they were very nice but I didn't like the massive seal drag from their bearings and free hub. The seals are what make them last forever but the drag has to use up energy, My WTB hub have zero drag.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by formulaone33
    I have some WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs which are licensed from AC. I love them. They are light, reasonably priced and very trouble free. I have had CK hubs and they were very nice but I didn't like the massive seal drag from their bearings and free hub. The seals are what make them last forever but the drag has to use up energy, My WTB hub have zero drag.

Oh yeah, I forgot that about the WTB hubs, that's encouraging.

So ZTR Alpines w/ AC Hubs laced 3x Sapim CX-Ray Spokes by Speedgoat.com it is. Gotta wait for the Alpines to come out,which should be in a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah i have email them and they should that the Alpine would be in around 2 weeks