mtbr member
    Jul 2005

ZTR Flow rims + sealant + Big Betty. UST or regular tire?

Hi all,
    Going to tubeless this year after too many pinch flats. I was going to run UST Nevgals on my Flow rims but read that they tend to delaminate fron the inside out when using Stan's sealant.

The Schwalbe Big Betty's seem like a good alternative for our terrain, but the UST version is listed at 1100 grams. Can I get a seal on a Flow rim with a standard tire ?(preferrably kevlar bead)

Thanks for any input.

Boyeeee
    I've been running a Big Betty EVO (non-UST) GGC mounted tubeless on Flow for a couple of years with no problems.

not so super...
    No problems using STD big Betty with Stans.

usually cranky
    good to hear. are most non ust tires ok to run tubeless on ztr rims?

Apr 2007
    @ b-kul -- Check notubes site. They've got a list of tires that they recommend. I run regular Rampage and Saguaro's tubeless and have had no issues.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    @ b-kul -- Check notubes site. They've got a list of tires that they recommend. I run regular Rampage and Saguaro's tubeless and have had no issues.
    nice, thanks for the info. i had checked the site and saw the list, i was just curious about panaracer, but seeing as how you run the rampage i should be good. was it a real pain to mount and seal or was it more or less par for the course in difficulty?

Apr 2007
    The Rampage was easier to set up than the Saguaro's. I only needed my floor pump to air up, whereas I needed a compressor for the Geax Saguaro's. However, the Rampages must be more porous, as at first, it lost air much faster than the Geax. This lasted for a couple of rides (no dramatic air loss during the ride, but upon checking a day or two after). But now, they both hold air about the same.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    The Rampage was easier to set up than the Saguaro's. I only needed my floor pump to air up, whereas I needed a compressor for the Geax Saguaro's. However, the Rampages must be more porous, as at first, it lost air much faster than the Geax. This lasted for a couple of rides (no dramatic air loss during the ride, but upon checking a day or two after). But now, they both hold air about the same.
    thats awesome to hear. was the geax a tnt tire?

Apr 2007
    No, regular Geax as well. Didn't like the Rampages in the back, and the Saguaro's are 100% better.

usually cranky
    hmmm good to know. although i love running a rampage in the back. different strokes for different folks though.

Apr 2007
    Yeah, it is heavily dependent on riding terrain. I'm in the Rockies with hardpack dirt mostly. Rampages seem to slip too much on climbs for me.