mtbr member
    Aug 2012

ZTR Crest or Arch?

Hey guys, buying a set of wheels soon and was pretty dead set on the ztr crest but the light trail use in their description has me considering the arch instead.

I weigh 145, ride in south Florida, markham park, oleta, Amelia, Virginia key. I ride pretty fast, pretty aggressive. I do small jumps and stuff, nothing like free ride, but in several spots at markham I catch air or huck off a edge.

My concerns came when I read about people having the crests come untrue. And I also hear the arch are noticeably stiffer and track better.

Any ideas? Thanks

mtbr member
    I weigh about the same as you. I don't do big jumps, but plenty of short drops, 1-3 feet ish. I'm not always the most graceful rider, I've got a bad habit of slamming my rear wheel into rocks by cutting turns too sharp.

I've been running Crests for the last year and they've held up great. There are a few scratches from rock hits, but they haven't dented and are still running perfectly true.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide View Post
    I weigh about the same as you. I don't do big jumps, but plenty of short drops, 1-3 feet ish. I'm not always the most graceful rider, I've got a bad habit of slamming my rear wheel into rocks by cutting turns too sharp.

I've been running Crests for the last year and they've held up great. There are a few scratches from rock hits, but they haven't dented and are still running perfectly true.
    Haha kinda sounds like my riding. Cut too sharp a few weeks ago and I don't even know what exactly happened but next thing I know I'm on the floor slamming my
    Hip into a rock lol

Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    a 26" arch ex rim will add about 60 grams per wheel. might be worth a thought if you plan on riding different trails in the future.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You shouldn't have a problem with the crest @ 145. If you were doing that same riding at 200 I would say Arch EX would be a better choice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You should look at the Pacenti TL28
    Light as the Crest and wide as the Arch

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just got some pacenti tl28, specs say 390, actual was 410, pretty far from the early articles of 360 keeping it close to the crest wheels....

mtbr member
    I ve been hesitant to pull the trigger on these set too. I am at 180lbs and while I consider my self a flowy rider the trails I ride are not smooth by any means. I already have the ZTR Flows on my all mountain, and I am very impressed, so these will be for Xc only on my 29r ht. my hesitation comes when the trail points down and the gnar begs you to push it.

mtbr member
    I like the weight to price ratio, tubeless ready, bst technology, very popular among the masses. Like you I am not sure if to go Crest or Arch

mtbr member
    I was shocked how noodly the crest was just building it up in the stand. Extremely easy to flex all over the place. The arch was stiff, impressively stiff. I rebuilt them with maybe 200 miles on them for a 140lb xc racer. They were nearly trashed in 200 miles.

There was no comparison between the two. I wouldnt put anyone over 100lb on the crest, and even then id still probably recommend the arch. I might go so far as to say the crest just plain sucks! The arch is a good rim though.

mtbr member
    Noodly? Wow, I haven t heard that

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    On the Notubes site is a Technical Doc under the Help Center-- ZTR Rim Setup Options.
    The spoke tension maximums are listed for each rim. Crests- 95kgf and ArchEx- 125kgf.
    This shows up when you dish a wheel. The drive side may be 95 and the non drive 65. When the wheel is heeled over during a turn and you hit a rock or root the wheel can flex. That 65 side can go totally loose and the nipples can spin a little and the wheel can need truing. The 95 max can give you a more flexy wheel as it tracks or changes direction.

cy1
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

I did both

I used the Arch EX for the rear and Crest for the front.