mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Ztr 355 question

I have a K2 zed 2.2 and I'm looking to upgrade the rims, hubs, etc. I'm on a budget and was looking at the no tube ztr 355's. they have a rim brake model. My question is would they be strong than the stock rim? Ok for a heavier rider about 180-190lbs? I'm a beginning rider and the trails I normally ride on are a bit rough, rocks, roots, holes, etc. not just flat dirt track. Hit some smaller jumps nothing big. Would these be a good investment until I can upgrade further and my skills improve?p
    any advice on hubs for rim brakes?

Warrior's Society
    No they would not be a good investment.....for you.

It is a really light rim....actually you are probably over the weight limit for then anyway.

Being a beginner you are less likely to choose good/smooth lines through the rocks and roots. This likely ending in a damaged wheel.
    At 190 lbs I found them to be way too flexy.

There are other options out there.....seek them out and avoid uber light weight rims.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Church of the Wheel

Ztr 355 question

355's are plenty strong enough for your weight and application. The limiting factor will be how we'll they're built. If built properly you'll be fine. If built poorly any rim will suck it. Go with a reputable wheelsmith for best results.
    "I thought you'd never love me without my Mojo." -Austin Powers

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well I got a go for it and a no Haha. I have seen some others such as the mammoth and the eliminator. Both stronger rims. Any advice on mismatching rims?

mtbpete
    The 355's are lightweight rims, but I agree that the limiting factor is how well they are built. If you run air pressure too low they will dent easier than the typical OEM rim. As far as I know Stan's does not have any 355 26in 32h rims left with polished sidewall. They may have some with and anodized sidewall which are still usable for rim brake. I have two pair of 32h's with the polished sidewall that I can build onto DT Swiss 240 hubs, or American Classic hubs.

lamer
    My understanding is that the 355s are the lighter predecessor to the Crest. Having ridden Crests for the past year and being 200-205 lbs geared up (obviously over their weight limit), I would say go for something stronger. I also ride rooty, sometimes rocky, trails and take smaller jumps. I have had to get the Crests trued every couple of months.

mtbpete
    The 355's are actually the heavier predecessor to the Crest. The 355 26in rim is 355g and the Crest 26in rim is 340g. Most of the weight difference is in the larger bead hook on the 355.

If you need the wheels trued every couple of months then they are either damaged or not being trued with even tension. A 26in rim will always be substantially stronger than the same rim built with the same materials as a 29in rim.