mtbr member
    Jul 2008

ZTR 355 650b / Quasi-Moto explosive decompression

So I built up a ZTR355 650b wheelset running a Pacenti Quasi-Moto tubeless and took it out for a ~5000ft climb. Near the top, I was grinding hard out of the saddle and the rear wheel suddenly went BANG and shed the tire instantly.

The tire wasn't damaged, and my guess is that the rim rotated inside the tire, breaking the seal of the Stan's sealant. I have almost a years' experience working with Stan's rims and non-UST tires, but this was the first time I ever had a failure like this.

At the moment, I need to better understand what caused the problem so it doesn't happen again. My route has some vertical cliffs that discourage base jumping without a parachute.

Anyhow, when I built the wheel, there were two irregularities in it, and I'm wondering if anyone has direct experience to say whether or not they are the cause.

First, part of the bead socket on the rim has a burr that makes that section of the socket much narrower than normal. Second, I ran out of the 355-width yellow tape and improvised with some Arch-width tape instead. This wider tape ran into the bead socket and certainly took up a tiny bit of space in it. Are either of these really likely to be the culprit, or is it a red herring?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i burped to a flat my neo-moto once, with my 355 setup ghetto tubeless.