mtbr member

Zelvy Carbon Wheelsets... Any experience?

Hi

I'm considering buying some of Zelvy's wheels for my new Intense Spider 275 and wondered if anyone has any experience of them please? In terms of service and how resilient the wheels are etc?

These would be my first pair of carbon wheels and obviously I am full of trepidation etc...

Here are the wheels I'm considering, thanks for your time...

Zelvy Carbon | WHEELSET 40??? 650b-RACE

I wanted to take advantage of the wider rims and they do look fantastic!

mtbr member
    Pretty sure that there is a thread on Rotorburn, or the info may be embedded in the carbon rims thread on there.

Here are a couple of threads that should ease your mind about 'generic' carbon rims (i.e. NOT enve or Reynolds). It's highly, highly likely that the Zelvy's are produced in the same factory and are the same quality as the Light Bicycle or Nextie rims mentioned in these threads.
    (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

A few people have had issues with the LB rims, most haven't. I've been using a pair of LB rims for 18 months. I'd buy them again.

The Derby rims that started the super-wide carbon rim trend are also probably produced in the same factory.
    29 x 35mm carbon fiber DERBY RIMS Grand Opening
    I consider Zelby to be roughly equivalent, or maybe even a step down from Derby.

My feedback on the Zelvy's -

That is a light rim. The 'standard' LB or Nextie or Derby rim will weigh 50+ grams more per rim
    carbon 650b rims 38mm wide hookless mountain bike rims tubeless compatible Light-Bicycle

Carbon Fiber 650B/27.5" MTB Rim 40mm width Clincher Hookless Tubeless Compatible Mountain Bike [NXT650BH01]

Is this an issue...I don't know. I've just noticed that Zelvie offer a DH version of the rim, though it's still ~50g lighter than the DH version from LB or Nextie.

You may be attracted by the warranty that Zelvy offer. It's 2 years, transferable, and has a half price crash replacement service. If the warranty really matters to you, buy these and don't think again.

If you are like me and don't need the peace of mind of the warranty...
    ...I consider AU$1550 a LOT of money to pay for a wheelset with DT Comp spokes, which are both inexpensive and overkill for stiff carbon rims - I'd use lighter DT Revs /Sapim Laser or Wheelsmith DB14's / Sapim S D-light. It's also a lot of money to pay for a wheelset with Hope Hubs.

Here's what I'd do if it were my money:
    1. buy LightBicycle or Nextie rims @ AU$500 for the pair including shipping
    2a. buy a pair of Hope hubs from the UK @ AU$$266-300
    2b. buy some premium, high engagement hubs direct from the US, e.g. Industry Nine, AU$700 from the US (though there is also a local importer)
    3. buy spokes locally or internationally AU$200 for Sapim CX-Ray from OS (pretty much the best there is) or AU$100 from OS for the other spokes I listed
    4. A local wheel build will be AU$150 - $200 for the pair

Total = 500 + [300 or 700] + [100 or 200] + 200 = $1100 to $1600

[n.b. if you upspec to the PRO version of the Zelvie wheels it's equivalent to the $1600 pair listed above]

OR, I'd buy the pre-built wheelset from LB with Hope hubs, and have them checked by my local shop. That's cheaper again (I think...)

mtbr member
    What a comprehensive reply, thank you. It's certainly given me a lot to think about and research so that's exactly what I'll do...

mtbr member

mtbr member

Zelvy Carbon Wheelsets... Any experience?

Yeah saw it yesterday thanks.