mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Yet another specialized/dtswiss thread... able to upgrade the star ratchet?

I've found no shortage of threads on the subject, but most seem to either be rather old or not super specific on the wheels involved.

I've got a 2018 stumpjumper expert 27.5, which came with the roval carbon wheels. I had almost pulled the trigger on buying a higher engagement set for my old camber (2017) when i learned that the alloy wheels didn't have dt swiss internals, so I wanna make sure that specialized didn't start getting cheap on the carbon wheels too?

Not even sure what model dt swiss (if any) the hubs on this bike are based off of, but if I can do the upgrade, i'd love to have the higher engagement for sure.

Not too familiar with how they even come apart on the cheaper stuff, but I did try just pulling on the mounted cassette (xd body) as i saw in one video, but didnt have much luck getting it to pop off, and i dont wanna break anything if that doesn't apply here.
    Last edited by Thoreau; 04-15-2018 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Yet another specialized/dtswiss thread... able to upgrade the star ratchet?

Check with the LBS/dealer you bought the bike from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Whether it's a star ratchet hub or a pawl hub, you're not going to break anything pulling off the freehub. They're only held on by the o-ring in the end cap snapping into the axle. New ones tend to be more difficult to remove. Lay the wheel down flat, step on the tire with your toes, get your fingers of both hands behind the cassette and just pull it off. Cassette and freehub will come off together. You should find a star ratchet drive if it's a carbon roval wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    You should find a star ratchet drive if it's a carbon roval wheel.
    Yep

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Whether it's a star ratchet hub or a pawl hub, you're not going to break anything pulling off the freehub. They're only held on by the o-ring in the end cap snapping into the axle. New ones tend to be more difficult to remove. Lay the wheel down flat, step on the tire with your toes, get your fingers of both hands behind the cassette and just pull it off. Cassette and freehub will come off together. You should find a star ratchet drive if it's a carbon roval wheel.
    Worth a shot.... i'll give it a try here shortly (gotta finish my morning cigar first... priorities and all that jazz.)

I did pull the cassette off last night right after starting this thread to see what i could see. Not much. Although the black bit on the end which i assumed would be an endcap that would pop off appears to be threaded and integral to the axle. Has cutout notches on it, and on the other end of the axle, for a wrench, and markings indicating which way to turn to loosen.

Yet another specialized/dtswiss thread... able to upgrade the star ratchet?-20180414_174802-01.jpg

Lets just say im overly cautious after learning the hard way how my first bikes wheels were built. Got a first hand lesson in cones and loose bearings and heaches =) obviously a different ball game with through axles vs skewers, sealed vs loose bearings, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Check with the LBS/dealer you bought the bike from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lbs land always worries me. Of course i may simply have not yet found that diamond in the rough. Good people, hood prices. And i do feel like theyve got my back, but they seem a bit off on finer details. My camber, for example, came with a stumpjumper manual, brake pad spacers from sram (bike came with shimano brakes), and a buncha other paperwork that didnt seem to apply. The new stumpy came with just the generic manual (missing a bike specific one entirely), manual for some bargaim basement brand of dropper (bike has a specialized one), manual for tektro brakes (had sram brakes) and other oddities. When i asked about that they just implied that specialized sends them that way. Oh, and no spare tokens for suspension, or even the little plastic guide for tuning the b screw on eagle.

Plus, i like learning things first hand. =)

May consult specialized directly though depending on how the cassette yank goes today.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Worth a shot.... i'll give it a try here shortly (gotta finish my morning cigar first... priorities and all that jazz.)

I did pull the cassette off last night right after starting this thread to see what i could see. Not much. Although the black bit on the end which i assumed would be an endcap that would pop off appears to be threaded and integral to the axle. Has cutout notches on it, and on the other end of the axle, for a wrench, and markings indicating which way to turn to loosen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180414_174802-01.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	1193009

Lets just say im overly cautious after learning the hard way how my first bikes wheels were built. Got a first hand lesson in cones and loose bearings and heaches =) obviously a different ball game with through axles vs skewers, sealed vs loose bearings, etc.
    That doesn't look like what I expected. Correct that the end of the axle should not have those flats. The freehub should have a recessed area above the bearing that the flange on the end cap fills. Looks like your OEM carbon rovals have a cheaper hub than what most carbon roval wheels have. I'm rolling my eyes here... anything to squeeze a few extra dollars of profit out of the bike. It's some chinese/taiwan pawl drive hub.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Cap should look like this if it was a DT hub
    Attached Images Attached Images  

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Well, this could have easily been solved if one of us looked at the specialized website -

"REAR HUB - Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h"

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Well at least it isn't my imagination this time around.

I'd be full of shit if I said that hub engagement was the one thing limiting my riding progression. (The list of REAL issues is pretty expansive still.) Luckily for me, I've never actually ridden a bike with a fast hub, so at least I don't (directly) know what I'm missing, and it'll give me an excuse down the road to upgrade =)

That said, at least it's not like Specialized ever claimed there was a DT Swiss setup inside, that's always just been a pleasant surprise for the folks that lucked into models that actually did use them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Well, this could have easily been solved if one of us looked at the specialized website -

"REAR HUB - Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h"
    I'm pretty sure that even on the bikes that did ship with dt swiss bits the specsheet still said the same thing. The only place I've seen any reference to it, other than on forums, would be on the Roval website and it's pretty clear that Specialized doesn't use the same stuff between builds and individually sold wheelsets. At least in the past.

Edit: looking at some of the upper tier models I do see they currently mention the star ratchet goodness on some models. No idea if that's new or the way they've always done it (only been into the bike world for about 10 months so far.) At least they're still carbon =)

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I don't pay attention to specialized too much these days but the carbon wheels always had dt hubs for a while. The alloy roval wheels always had 2 versions - the oem ones with the specialized hubs and the aftermarket ones with the dt hubs. I honestly didn't think they'd stoop so low to use the cheap hubs with the carbon rims. on the bright side, if your bike had a shimano drivetrain the hub would have a much heavier steel freehub. So at least you got that going for you.