mtbr member
    May 2011

XTR wheels only for racing?

Hi guys. I'm trying to bling out my bike a little bit by upgrading parts to XTR whenever something breaks and needs replacement. Time to get a new wheel set (26"). I look at Pinkbike for some used ones and a lot of the posts are talking about "race wheel set" and stuff like that.

Are XTR wheels to fragile for normal riding? I ride xc and trail/all mountain a couple of times a week.

ups and downs
    They are light enough to be a race wheelset. If you're under 200 pounds, XTR wheels will last a lifetime of XC riding with wheels on the ground. And maybe a shorter lifetime with jumps. Hubs are easy to maintain. They stopped having a long warranty on the Ti freehub body, so if that ever fails, it will be expensive to replace. You want to make sure the rims are ding free and are true, the scandium rims are really pricey to replace.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great info. Thank you. I'm only like 150 lbs and rarely get more than 12" or air.

I'll start the search.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I ride my 988 XTR trail set pretty hard. 15mm front, 135 QR rear. Hard XC, some jumps, Downieville (high speed rather than a lot of air). Rockville , and in general a lot of NorCal volcanic rock. They are very durable. One nipple needed turning after about 100 hours of serious riding. For under $400 shipped, great deal. But I wish I had another set of Chris King wheels instead. I don't think mine are worth more than $300 on EBAY, so I will run them into the ground, which may take awhile.

mtbr member
    I had a pair of XT wheels that stranded me after 6 months of riding. No pawl engagement in the free hub, can't service them. $400 is a good price especially if you ride in dry conditions. The only thing I never liked about Shimano hubs/wheels is that you simply replace the entire fh body instead of repairing it.

Kings or DTs are the way to go, but you'll spend 2X on a nice set of hand builts...
    My one says BRAP!

Ow!
    I have some 988s(?, XTR trail wheels). Since I only paid about $375 for them, I am not too concerned. They are stiff, seem very durable, and I do not remember them going out of true. But I cannot convert them (stuck with 15/135mm). I have bounced them off rocks, and they still hold up. Well worth $375, but not MSRP.