Who is John Galt?

XTR wheel disassembly

How do I take apart my XTR wheels? Is there a PDF or video guide out there? I'm trying to mount Avid rotors using the XTR 6-bolt adapters. The axle is too big to get the splined tool in to tighten the rotor without pulling the axle first. Looks like I need a thin wrench to loosen the lock bolt, but I don't know the size. Afraid to proceed without knowing what's going to fall apart. I've always been good at taking things apart, not so good at putting them back together! If there's a better way to do this, let me know please.
    What, me hurry?

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    You may have cheap Performance brand tool. The Park, center lock rotor tool will fit accurately on rear hub. On the front wheel, I use Chris King aluminum Btm bracket tool, as it is soft aluminum, for colored aluminum lock ring ( shimano/park tools work too ). I like center lock rotors better, that is what is on my XTR wheels. Of course, I like my 6 bolt rotors better on my bikes with 6 bolt hubs. EBAY.

Who is John Galt?
    Maybe this photo will show what's going on. I have the correct tool made by Shimano, it's the TL-LR15. But the axle sticks out from the front hub and won't let the tool splines down on the lock ring. I'm hoping if I take the hub apart I can remove this axle, attach the rotor and still get it back together. XTR wheel disassembly-wheel.jpg
    What, me hurry?

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    What size axle? Front or rear?

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Looks like someone used channel locks for install of lock ring ouch! At least the adapter system seems to work. Sorry to assume wrong tool, as I had cheap tool and found out they don't always work, so now I have bling tool

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Front 15mm without adapter

XTR wheel disassembly-image.jpg
    Sorry I am no help, but I am sure someone here will have experience with that setup. Patience, I can't wait to see proper answer.

Who is John Galt?
    It's the front 15mm through axle
    What, me hurry?

Who is John Galt?
    Yeah I am hoping I can pull the axle and get it tight. Also wondering if I can mix Avid brakes with an XTR rotor? That would let me get rid of the adapter which doesn't seem all that great. I have a set of Mavic Crosstrail wheels on my other bike, don't have this problem. But then, it doesn't have the through axle which is the problem here.
    What, me hurry?

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Avid makes centerlock. I use avid 6 bolt rotor with other XT brakes. You can use XT rotor with Avid calipers, your bike won't know. If you switch to centerlock you will need lock ring like mine (they come in other colors too, $30). That lock ring uses Btm bracket tool.

Who is John Galt?
    Hmmm, that may be the way to go. I really don't want to tear into this hub. Did no know SRAM made center lock. I have a lock ring that came with the wheels and the BB tool so should be good to go. Thanks for your help.
    What, me hurry?

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Google or eBay "Avid centerlock". I prefer Shimano centerlock, all my friends that work as bike mechanics professionally, prefer 6 bolt. Go figure.

Who is John Galt?
    6-bolt is great until you ship your bike and have to put it together trail-side! I do love the Avid brakes though, especially the self centering calipers. I ordered an XTR rotor, let's see if this plays well with the Elixirs. Everything on my bike (Yeti ARC) is XTR except shifters and brakes, I'm all SRAM there.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    BJM- Your problem is the CL lockring you are using. That is the original one that works for standard QR only. When 15mm came out Shimano had to do a different lockring, as shown in hoolie's pic. You need to order that lockring (it uses a hollowtech II bb tool to install BTW). I'm pretty positive that the new rotor will not come with the larger lockring. You will still have to order that separately. Actually I'm surprised it didn't come with the wheels. That's how shimano usually supplies that lockring.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by slowridemo View Post
    BJM- Your problem is the CL lockring you are using. That is the original one that works for standard QR only. When 15mm came out Shimano had to do a different lockring, as shown in hoolie's pic. You need to order that lockring (it uses a hollowtech II bb tool to install BTW). I'm pretty positive that the new rotor will not come with the larger lockring. You will still have to order that separately. Actually I'm surprised it didn't come with the wheels. That's how shimano usually supplies that lockring.
    This is correct. Shimano supplies the lockrings with both the rotors and the wheels. You need to use the one that comes with the wheel. The one that takes the cassette lock ring tool is for open dropouts front and rear. The other one that's got splines on the outside is for all of the through axle fitments, as mentioned it takes the outboard bearing tool. Since the threads on both lockrings are the same it is completely possible for somebody to F it up.

As you originally thought removing the axle is probably the best way to go about getting that lock ring out. You can find exploded views on Shimano's website.

Who is John Galt?
    Well, color me stupid! Just took another look at the wheelset, I put the one with the external splines on the back. Just need to switch them and it should work. How hard would it be for Shimano to tell you that? Thanks for all the advice, will be nice to ride with a rotor that doesn't come loose.
    Edit: Just for others who may have this problem, here's the correct lock ring for through axle wheel hubs: Shimano Disc Centerlock Rotor Lockring XTR HB M988 15 20 thru Axle 35mm Spline | eBay
    What, me hurry?